PDA

View Full Version : PSPlant

nickdigital
09-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Is this something that will still be coming out?

http://presetcentral.com/psplant/#download

Cageman
09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Vapourware...

:D

Dreamcube017
09-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Darn, I was hoping this was already out... shoot.

Vaporware is not good.

Hopper
09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
It looked like it had potential. Hell... if no one wants to finish it, give it to me or maybe LightWolf (or any of our other resident developers) to work on, or OpenSource it etc... Doesn't really matter what language it's written in...

Or maybe they're waiting for a stable CORE SDK to make a QT version for easier integration later... who knows.

Dreamcube017
09-21-2010, 10:05 PM
As long as it'll still work with 9.

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 09:07 PM
It looked like it had potential. Hell... if no one wants to finish it, give it to me or maybe LightWolf (or any of our other resident developers) to work on, or OpenSource it etc... Doesn't really matter what language it's written in...

Or maybe they're waiting for a stable CORE SDK to make a QT version for easier integration later... who knows.

Yeah it's described as being based on Open Source technology. Hopefully it can be finished. It would be a great tool to add to LW.

UnCommonGrafx
09-25-2010, 04:20 AM
With this plug and the chat plugin, LW could be an online monster.
Hope this type of thing can get some loving...

archijam
09-25-2010, 06:23 AM
To be fair, vapourware is not really the fair term here.

I was talking to Matt about this, and the UNDERwhelming interest and support or involvement in preset central killed psplant dev.

If you want to see it up and running, contact preset central.com, submit some presets, or otherwise show support. :)

I think the LW10 release would be a great moment to 'relaunch' preset central, and generally get it supported and a thriving source for we wavers.

nickdigital
09-25-2010, 08:57 AM
I was talking to Matt about this, and the UNDERwhelming interest and support or involvement in preset central killed psplant dev.

If you want to see it up and running, contact preset central.com, submit some presets, or otherwise show support. :)

Fair enough. The irony is that PSPlant rekindled my interest in the site/database. Having something that actually would organize and keep me in the loop on what's new was exciting. Using people's idea for a iTunes type of store for plug-ins as an example, it can be exhausting and time consuming trying to keep up with what's going on in the LW world. It'd be nice if there was an app that would funnel and organize all the information.

Hopefully with 10 on the horizon PSPlant could be revisited. Maybe have monthly challenges where people submit their best surface preset based on a topic.

archijam
09-25-2010, 09:35 AM
I have been talking to ben about organising 'packs' of presets, pre-tested, 'best-of' sets for specific areas, product design, architecture, landscape, characters, cars, etc.

I think in this way preset central can be BOTH tha place where you up and download that one preset you've made/needed, or a one stop place to customize LW into the application focussed package it can (and should) be. :)

PSPLANT will be a great managment system, but the community needs to show it's commitment first. I think 'packs' is the best way to ensure this in the short term ...

Hopper
09-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I can tell you now ... if you created a direct interface to the site through a Preset Plugin, the website would be the most used LightWave Site ever known. It "would" be the iTunes of LightWave.

Start providing direct browsing and downloads for plugins in the same interface and I can guarantee you the site would be successful.

Then of course you really don't have to stop there either ... start providing a model browser, etc... (i.e. Turbo Squid).

UnCommonGrafx
09-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I think lots of us were/are 'waiting' for the online part of it, as opposed to a lack of support. Doing it with ZB now, this all makes that much more sense than when proposed.

Dreamcube017
09-27-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree. If this were PART of lightwave, that would be awesome. Lots of times I have to go out of lightwave and search around the web... or I go and then download it and refresh the folder and do all this stuff... if it were IN LW, then I'd just have it in like 4 clicks.