PDA

View Full Version : RHiggit Pro preview...

RebelHill
09-20-2010, 07:55 PM
So here's a little preview for you all of whats coming up in RHiggit pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlJTP1jjMkk

I'll let the video do the talking, but just a couple lil things I didnt mention.

The examples shown are "straight out", meaning that I havent done any kind of custom adjustments, so the Rancor's feet are a lil soft, as he would really need a hold bone adding in each of those big side toes. Also the animation on the mutant pops once or twice, and intersects himself, as I havent bothered to cleanup the mocap at all for him, its just dumped straight on there.

Other things worth noting...

The script RPRs all the necessary controllers, and most importantly, deform structure for you, so adding on custom adjustments, either in the form of constraint driven hold bones, or morphs is straight forward, and can always link into things at 0,0,0 at rest pose, giving you nice clean co-ords to work with.

And lastly... because the FBX versions of the rigger contain no controllers on the actual FBX skeleton (which is the control hierarchy)... you can use these setups not only for motioncapture, but also as a base for setting up your own custom control rigs, or even, for those who really want to, animating with IKBooster, and it'll all work seamlessly together.

As for Maurocors awesome hulk mesh... well, Ill be putting a fully rigged version of him out for everyone to play with come release time, and whilst Ill probs make some adjustments to get him "just so"... the version you see here in the video is Mauro's original mesh, no adjustments, or changes... save the basic weights.

Cheers all.

nickdigital
09-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Ack you are a mad genius!

You say this is a preview...are you saying there could be more in Pro?

RebelHill
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Lol.

No this basically outlines everything... its just a preview of whats coming.

Muchos thanks.

geo_n
09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Impressive!

probiner
09-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Congratulations!

For bringing so much good to the LW's community in CA area, for the speed, for the range of solutions... for being a game changer.

nickdigital
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Lol.

No this basically outlines everything... its just a preview of whats coming.

Muchos thanks.

:thumbsup:

Well obviously the next question would be when is this ready for mass consumption?

wesleycorgi
09-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Wicked awesome! Good stuff. And hilarious. I'm saving my nickels for the release!

akademus
09-21-2010, 02:19 AM
Very awesome. Cant wait for the release!

Cageman
09-21-2010, 03:35 AM
Haha... really good stuff... and funny! :thumbsup:

dballesg
09-21-2010, 04:54 AM
Those rigs are very impressive Craig. Congratulations for them.

NewTek need to include a copy of your RHiggit Pro on EVERY single LightWave copy out there, and as .ls so it can be modified or expanded by the community. And I'm not kidding saying that.

It will put LightWave 10 another Step forward. Seriously, do a sweet deal with Craig and do it.

David

MAUROCOR
09-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Congratulations! Very well done!
I loved seeing my Hulk animated.
As someone mentioned before... you are a mad genius!:D:devil::beerchug:
Congrats again!

drako
09-21-2010, 05:44 AM
Craig
When you are hoping to get it out?Because i want it.......
Please hurry man.

Hieron
09-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Awesome, maybe it's time to do some CA again...

_F9_
09-21-2010, 06:20 AM
nice rigs (and great macarena - LOL)

mav3rick
09-21-2010, 07:01 AM
even if i will purchase this solo i think newtek should include it in lw 10 just like lw cad (at least rhiggit LIGHT)

btw amazing performance rebel ... that's the way to promote products!

Tonttu
09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
NewTek need to include a copy of your RHiggit Pro on EVERY single LightWave copy out there

I was just coming here to suggest a some kind of bundle deal :). The LW10 Lickety-split rigging edition.

geo_n
09-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Those rigs are very impressive Craig. Congratulations for them.

NewTek need to include a copy of your RHiggit Pro on EVERY single LightWave copy out there, and as .ls so it can be modified or expanded by the community. And I'm not kidding saying that.

It will put LightWave 10 another Step forward. Seriously, do a sweet deal with Craig and do it.

David

I agree. Even the lite version with fbx rig to import mocap will be good enough upgrade to lw 10.
Seeing there's zero added to lw 10 in CA tools, and core is atleast 5 years away to have CA tools,
a way to easily import mocap with a modern base rig would make lightwave atleast attractive for small studios. Mocap is the future for animation.

silviotoledo
09-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Wow!

TOO GOOD!

Thanks Rebell ! For me it's the most important advace in Lightwave since LW 9.6 !

Any chance to have some muscle bones added to critical areas?

I mean Biceps, Triceps, Neck, chest/clavicle

Muscle bones is hard to setup, and an easy way to add like this would be amazing!
I mean a drag here the muscle bone is in place :) way. A prebuild human muscled bones rig over your actual rig.

See that TELAMON's Rig to have an idea about what I'm saying.
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?12148-lt-lt-Super-Hero-gt-gt-Namor/page2

And there's also an SPAWN model rigged from that guy from Australia that wrote some lightwave books I forgot the name now.
I will post the gifs here soon

Also see Taron's Neck rig
http://www.projectmessiah.com/x4/vids/gallery/taron_neckling.mov
http://www.taron.de/Storage/tutorials/Neckling_texturedeform.jpg

If you setup the muscle bones we would be able to drive the displacements with expressions this way :)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/silviotoledo/FORUNS/th_HAND-02.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/silviotoledo/FORUNS/?action=view&current=HAND-02.mp4)

Or maybe on an slider over way using SMART MORPH.

dballesg
09-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree. Even the lite version with fbx rig to import mocap will be good enough upgrade to lw 10.
Seeing there's zero added to lw 10 in CA tools, and core is atleast 5 years away to have CA tools,
a way to easily import mocap with a modern base rig would make lightwave atleast attractive for small studios. Mocap is the future for animation.

And better support for MoCap goes with the philosophy of LightWave IO. :thumbsup:

But I will advocate for the Pro version uncompiled. At least it could be expanded by Craig and other users. Don't do another "Rounder" mistake.

David

TheDeacon
09-21-2010, 09:12 AM
as always, absolutely FANTASTIC work, craig. I love the mutant animation. LOVE IT. :thumbsup:

3dWannabe
09-21-2010, 09:36 AM
very impressed by the preview video, and your previous video showing use with MotionBuilder!!!!

The muscles look great, and having a separate BVH rig you can switch between, Wow - what a great idea!

I take it the BVH rig would be used in MotionBuilder, and the other rig once safely back in Lightwave?

Have you considered auto-rigging from a T-pose, maybe getting 90% of the way and letting the user tweak it? I do like that feature of JimmyRIG.

Great work!

silviotoledo
09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah! the Rig is impressive and shows lightwave deformers are really good!

Please consider the possibility to add also a little muscle bones

Some additive muscle bones would make the character look more realistic during animation and would give opportunity to the user to add latter some displacements driven by these bones.

These are thel Muscle bone samples from Krentin ( Jonny Gorden )

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/temp/ZGE-SpawnJoint01.gif

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/temp/ZGE-SpawnJoint02.gif

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/temp/ZGE-SpawnJoint03.gif

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/temp/ZGE-SpawnRig.gif

http://www.zerogravity.com.au/temp/ZGE-SpawnRig2.gif

and these from TELAMON

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/3030/namor107ei.png

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7505/namormuscle012ei.th.gif

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5982/namormuscle022xb.th.gif

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/1919/namormuscle037al.th.gif

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Cheers all for the positive feedbacks.

To address a few points.

Release... 2-3 weeks ish. I got other work on thats taking up most of my attention atm, but thats only short, then back to more on this. Plus Im still tinkering around designing some stuff, mainly the spine setups for biped and quadruped IK spine switching.

The mocap thing is based on FBX, not BVH, as BVH has no specific skeletal structure... there's almost as many different skeletons as there are BVH files out there. BVH motions can of course be applied to the fbx rig, but like working with anything fbx based, really requires a retargeting program. Motionbuilder is the main one, but animeeple should also be able to be used just as well. As for autorigging jimmy rig style, I assume you're referring to the way it weights the mesh, which is OK, but still uses a single weight per bone... a method that gives OK deforms, but doesnt allow for the fineries of LWs deform system to be used instead. SO mine uses a standard fbx skeleton (not weighted to the mesh), which my deform rig them targets to actually deform the mesh. This deform rig only works within LW of course, but the point of the rig is to get motions easily imported into LW anyway.

And as for all the little muscle bones... Im afraid not... as muscle boning to that kind of intricacy will be very different from one character to the next, and would still require the user to mark out TONS of little points on the mesh, my setup only needs 13 marks for the full advanced deformer setup. They would slow the rig down, and not be necessary on every character anyway. But due to the open and zero'd out nature of the rig, if such things are desired by the user they can be added on as desired to extend the deformation setup firther on a character specific basis.

Also, the mutant animation... the compression, and youtubing kinda screwed it a bit... Ill be sure to upload the full res version of it a little laters for you all to see in its proper glory.

Cheers y'all.

3dWannabe
09-21-2010, 11:49 AM
As for autorigging jimmy rig style, I assume you're referring to the way it weights the mesh, which is OK, but still uses a single weight per bone... a method that gives OK deforms, but doesnt allow for the fineries of LWs deform system to be used instead. SO mine uses a standard fbx skeleton (not weighted to the mesh), which my deform rig them targets to actually deform the mesh. This deform rig only works within LW of course, but the point of the rig is to get motions easily imported into LW anyway.

Actually I meant that Jimmy takes a t-pose model, and applies the rig to it, whereas from watching your video, you drag the rig around to fit the model.

There's apparently a bunch of analysis going on while it's doing that.

It is nice to have all that done automatically.

From watching your work, I get the idea you could do a better job of fully auto-rigging for most models, whereas one not in the t-pose would certainly have to be tweaked by hand.

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I see...

The answer is nope, not at all.

That sort of thing requires some pretty smart algorithms that can examine the boundaries of the mesh and determine whats an arm, whats a leg, etc, etc. very complex stuff, recongition programming. Waaaaaaay beyond me. Plus, if you ever see the tech demos of such things being done, you'll notice that the characters they use are always very simple (in terms of shape)... what if your character has tassles, or horny protrusions?? Makes things a lot more difficult. Basically, this approach is very limiting.

Things like this, jimmy rig, pinocchio, etc, are still very much in their infancy... the human user is still far superior at knwoing what joints supposed to go where, irrespective of the design of the character, and positioning the joints around in this fashion is very fast and easy. Once you've done it a couple times, it takes all of about 10 mins... which, from the demos Ive seen... is faster than these programs can auto claculate it anyhow.

Hieron
09-21-2010, 12:02 PM
perhaps an "auto animate" button then? :)

That's btw the ugliest macarena practitioner ever.. seriously.. the animation is great though..

3dWannabe
09-21-2010, 12:02 PM
I see...

The answer is nope, not at all.

That sort of thing requires some pretty smart algorithms that can examine the boundaries of the mesh and determine whats an arm, whats a leg, etc, etc. very complex stuff, recongition programming. Waaaaaaay beyond me. Plus, if you ever see the tech demos of such things being done, you'll notice that the characters they use are always very simple (in terms of shape)... what if your character has tassles, or horny protrusions?? Makes things a lot more difficult. Basically, this approach is very limiting.

Things like this, jimmy rig, pinocchio, etc, are still very much in their infancy... the human user is still far superior at knwoing what joints supposed to go where, irrespective of the design of the character, and positioning the joints around in this fashion is very fast and easy. Once you've done it a couple times, it takes all of about 10 mins... which, from the demos Ive seen... is faster than these programs can auto claculate it anyhow.

For models with horny protrusions, etc. - you'd have to create a simple box like structure around the model to get it to auto-rig in Jimmy.

Oh well, I can dream, can't I?

dballesg
09-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Horny characters? We are talking about earn big bucks then :D

Sorry couldn't resist it :)

David

phillydee
09-21-2010, 12:30 PM
LOL @ Macarena... heh!

gordonrobb
09-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Awesome work mate. Remind me, if I buy the kith version now will I get pot for the difference? Also, any idea on price yet?

Lastly, how customisable is it? Can I add joints. Say I had a bi peed with legs that go the wrong way ( think tumnis from narnia) can I change the leg set up?

MrWyatt
09-21-2010, 12:49 PM
just a small question. I happened to notice that in the hulk animation there where ugly spikes coming off of his legs. was that a weighting problem or a rig problem?

other than that, really great stuff.
:thumbsup:

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
thems are the torn edges of his trousers... the lack of surfacing probs leaves that a lil unclear. They ofc are just deforming along, but you could easily clothfx them as they're jsut simple flat polys.

gordonrobb
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Just in case you missed my questions on the previous page.

Awesome work mate. Remind me, if I buy the kith version now will I get pot for the difference? Also, any idea on price yet?

Lastly, how customisable is it? Can I add joints. Say I had a bi peed with legs that go the wrong way ( think tumnis from narnia) can I change the leg set up?

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey...

So here's the high qual version of the mutant animation for you all to see, and also the high res capture of the hulk bit from the demo, so you can see in mroe detail.

One little side note on the rendering of the mutant...

The lighting, and hdri used are of course the ones already in teh Luis Santos file with the creature kit... I did however tweak around with teh radiosity settings, and rendered this fella with interpolated... yes, INTERPOLATED, on a deforming mesh, final gather radiosity... Can you see the GI flicker??? No, neither can I. Render time was around the 2min/frame mark at 1280X720 on an AMDX2 5600 (2.6ghz)cpu.

How did I achieve this... some litle interesting tricks I came across while tossing around with the raidosity settings, determined that deforming meshes could somehow be done using interpolation, and I discovered some tricks that seemed to work.

As I mentioned in another thread... Im doing some experiments to try and hammer out the behavioural detials of making this a more usable technique for actual production, and I shall be posting a tut on my YT once Ive gotten as good as I can get.

gordonrobb
09-21-2010, 01:36 PM
This is cool, I am actually wrangling with radiosity right now and trying to eradicate the flicker. Any chance of taking a quick look at my questions (post before yours) :)

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Price is so far undecided... but yes... owners of Lite will have a simple, pay the difference upgrade option.

As for customisability... yes... its a straight LW rig at the end of the day, so stuff can be added and removed, so long as one knows ones way around rigging.

Now tumnus is an interesting example... cos although RHiggit allows the IK to work in either way, elbows/knees can be set to bend forwards ro backwards (just position the prebend in the direction you want and its done for you)... tumnus DOESNT actually have back facing (avian style) knees. He has hoofen legs... where the knee bends the same way as a human, the ankle is raised high (up to this point, no problem)... However the structure of the feet are different. Hoofen creatures (ungulates) dont ahve the same type of foot, where the heel contacts the ground, and the toes point forwards... they instead walk right up on tiptoes.

Now to rig this properly requires an extra joint in the actual control system, and a total re-design of the IK structure for the foot contact... and that, sadly, is something that this rigger cant accomodate, since the design has to be for one type of foot structure or the other.

ive considered this problem when it comes to using the quad rigger with horses, cows, etc... and am yet to find a solution. The only one may be to do an entirely specific rig to take care of these kinds of anatomies. but it that does transpire, it certianly wont make the first release version.

Of course, as I say... one who's deft at rigging could manually reconstruct these parts of the rig once the auto rigging was done, but thats as good as it gets... for now at least.

gordonrobb
09-21-2010, 01:46 PM
NO probs. Sounds good to me anyway.

On a side note (and this chancing of arms may have been tried before), any plans to offer a discount (slight or otherwise) to owners of your rigging tutorial?

RebelHill
09-21-2010, 01:49 PM
NO probs. Sounds good to me anyway.

On a side note (and this chancing of arms may have been tried before), any plans to offer a discount (slight or otherwise) to owners of your rigging tutorial?

Also a yes.

I was gonna do a package deal to buy pro+rhr for a reduced price, but then I thought that only penalises folks who already bought the tuts, my nice supportive early adopters... so i figured Id offer the same discount to current owners of rhr too.

So owners of Lite get an upgrade price, and those who also have rhr will get a further discount too.:thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
09-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Impressive work! :thumbsup:

I see this as a game changer for LW.

Congrats!

mav3rick
09-21-2010, 02:04 PM
defiantly lightwave need this kind of strong solution for characters!

3dWannabe
09-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Hey...

How did I achieve this... some litle interesting tricks I came across while tossing around with the raidosity settings, determined that deforming meshes could somehow be done using interpolation, and I discovered some tricks that seemed to work.

If you ever get some free moments after releasing your cool new tool, I'd love to see a quick video tut on that!

OnlineRender
09-21-2010, 02:45 PM
Impressive work! :thumbsup:

I see this as a game changer for LW.

Congrats!

Agreed , total game changer , awesome work RH ! , the FBXmutant.mov is superb except you missed the hey macarina audio . .

but on the subject of the video around 29 secs where the skin hits the pants , there is a strange flaw , it kinda flickers , but everything IS AWESOME > > > > > > lucky that dude gave you copy of LW ;)

nickdigital
09-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Agreed , total game changer , awesome work RH ! , the FBXmutant.mov is superb except you missed the hey macarina audio . .

Yeah I was expecting music too!

Lewis
09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
excellent stuff man, really puts LW back in game for CA :).

Lewis
09-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah I was expecting music too!

this way (attachment) :D?

RH i hope you don't mind i quickly added music ?

OnlineRender
09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
I dont even need to download that to know what its going to be . . . but I will anyway . . . .

OnlineRender
09-21-2010, 03:57 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH , ROCK ON , ROB no offence but that beats the dancing baby . . although it still holds up ! but I like the Mutantcarena

MentalFish
09-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Thats awesome! Has the rigs been tested in the Mac version of LW? I am fearing it will be much slower than on the Windows version.

When it is released, will it be possible to poke a rig to see how it performs before purchase?

nickdigital
09-21-2010, 04:03 PM

Awwwwesome!

Larry_g1s
09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Awesome work Craig. But I'm sorry to say I'll be having nightmares now of that mutant chasing me doing the Macarena. </shivers>

DragonFist
09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Am I the only one getting blank (all green) videos?

gordonrobb
09-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Sorry, one last question. Can I assume this will work with LW10, or HC or 2016 or whatever we're calling it today (not the core part obviously)?

Cageman
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Awesome work Craig. But I'm sorry to say I'll be having nightmares now of that mutant chasing me doing the Macarena. </shivers>

Agreed... it is grose... some parts of the animation really falls into Uncanny valley, especially when you see its eyes. Scary for sure!

:)

Lewis
09-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Can we call this "Mutantcarena" :D :D?

OnlineRender
09-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Craig you need to animate that to the music .......who cares about CR when you have dancing mutants ..........

sudac20
09-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Is there a way to store and mirror poses?

probiner
09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

I guess if it will have a way to work with IKB the poses are doable, mirror i don't know.

adk
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM

The lighting, and hdri used are of course the ones already in teh Luis Santos file with the creature kit... I did however tweak around with teh radiosity settings, and rendered this fella with interpolated... yes, INTERPOLATED, on a deforming mesh, final gather radiosity... Can you see the GI flicker??? No, neither can I. Render time was around the 2min/frame mark at 1280X720 on an AMDX2 5600 (2.6ghz)cpu.

As I mentioned in another thread... Im doing some experiments to try and hammer out the behavioural detials of making this a more usable technique for actual production, and I shall be posting a tut on my YT once Ive gotten as good as I can get.

Absolutely awesome stuff there RH :thumbsup: I brought your tutes + RHiggit so I could dabble with a bit of posing & basic animation but you make it look so easy I might give something more substantial a go. Oh & glad you mentioned the radiosity trick again & I didn't pester you about it on the other thread. You've been a busy fella lately.

NT ... get this man on board !

adk

gordonrobb
09-22-2010, 01:29 AM
Sorry to be a pest but can you point me in the direction of your solution to the flickering radiosity problem?

mav3rick
09-22-2010, 03:31 AM
utter crazy macarena ;)

Tonttu
09-22-2010, 03:41 AM

TA Poseworks (http://loupguru.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=50) seems to be able to handle pose mirroring.

Available for a $5 donation

Hieron
09-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey...

The lighting, and hdri used are of course the ones already in teh Luis Santos file with the creature kit... I did however tweak around with teh radiosity settings, and rendered this fella with interpolated... yes, INTERPOLATED, on a deforming mesh, final gather radiosity... Can you see the GI flicker???

This is somewhat the most ideal scene to use interpolated FG GI without noticing flicker. Illumination is more or less perfect and uniform all around with very little occluded areas and the character never ever really stands still enough. On the edges of his undies you can notice the flicker most.

Not saying it ain't looking nice, the rendertime is sure low and I'm definately looking forward to hear your settings, but this is a rather ideal situation.

(pretty sure you can do an animated GI sample position cache of him as well)

ps: awesome work!

Fadlabi
09-22-2010, 04:15 AM
That is Awesome work Craig.

Cageman
09-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Sorry to be a pest but can you point me in the direction of your solution to the flickering radiosity problem?

It looks like it is rendered with Backdrop Only and no Interpolation, using an HDRI to do the filllight. This way you will never get any flicker.

WCameron
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Somebody put this in the next Silent Hill game......

- Will.

khan973
09-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Man, this is awesome, I 've had fun using the lite version, i'll pay for the Pro one!
Good thing you organised the schematic view! ;)

Could people send things they've done using it?
Looking forward to get my hands on the pro version!!

H_Molla
09-22-2010, 03:21 PM
wow...wow...woooooowwwww.....Amazing

jasonwestmas
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Really great Craig!

Hieron
09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
It looks like it is rendered with Backdrop Only and no Interpolation, using an HDRI to do the filllight. This way you will never get any flicker.

As he made a big point of it being "INTERPOLATED", I think it is actually interpolated :)

You can see flicker on the aliens underwear edge btw, it surely is interpolated FG. But as I said, it is an ideal situation for it and would allow anim sample caching if needed.

GraphXs
09-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Amazing! Looking forward to getting this. So the FBX Rig will work with all your rig types? For Instance, I can animated using your rig then export it the FBX over to Max?

erikals
09-23-2010, 06:23 AM
this is the coolest plugin added to LW in years and years.
super stuff!! :]
just sweet! :]

------------------------
(big laugh there Lewis! :]

UnCommonGrafx
09-23-2010, 07:08 AM
That alien is wrong in so many ways.

Put it on YouTube. Ha, let's see who likes it! You'll have a web following with this ugly cuss.

And your rig work looks like a 'buy'. When and how much?

nickdigital
09-24-2010, 11:34 AM
How does licensing work?
Are these dongle locked?
Floating?
Are there volume discounts?

We already own the training material.

Thanks.

littlewaves
10-01-2010, 06:30 AM
any updates on pricing and release date?

GraphXs
10-01-2010, 07:16 AM
please sir....give us more!

Netvudu
10-01-2010, 05:44 PM
This is wonderful!
I canīt wait for the next character work at the studio that justifies us buying the thing!

erikals
10-02-2010, 06:29 AM
hope to see some news... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/oye.gif

Chris S. (Fez)
10-02-2010, 06:42 AM
hope to see some news... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/oye.gif

Very excited about this one.

littlewaves
10-16-2010, 06:54 AM
bump: any news?

kfinla
10-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Looking forward to this...

wesball
10-20-2010, 05:07 PM
yes, I found this thread and this rigging tool may have come at just the right time for me. Looking forward to trying it out.

jwiede
10-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Waiting anxiously for update on availability...?

kosmodave
10-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Waiting anxiously for update on availability...?

Yes, me too.....

Dave

Psmith
10-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Mr. Hill:

I'm especially fond of animated cartoons from the 1920's and early 30's - Disney style, "rubber hose" arms and legs. Does Rhiggit provide tools for this kind of effect?

If not, is there anything in the rigging video series that covers how to set this kind of thing up?

Basically, this type of arm or leg has the capability to bend at the elbow, as well as "rubber hosing" at any time it's needed - all the while maintaining the rather skinny volume, (no bulging or kinking anywhere), of any of the limbs in question.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

jasonwestmas
10-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Mr. Hill:

I'm especially fond of animated cartoons from the 1920's and early 30's - Disney style, "rubber hose" arms and legs. Does Rhiggit provide tools for this kind of effect?

If not, is there anything in the rigging video series that covers how to set this kind of thing up?

Basically, this type of arm or leg has the capability to bend at the elbow, as well as "rubber hosing" at any time it's needed - all the while maintaining the rather skinny volume, (no bulging or kinking anywhere), of any of the limbs in question.

Thanks,

Greg Smith

My personal feelings on this matter is that if you are trying to get a hand drawn animated effect using 3D tools you are wasting your time. Stick to hand drawn techniques.

But to answer your question, based on what I've seen you would be wasting your time using Lightwave rigging tools for anything vaguely resembling this effect.

erikals
10-22-2010, 02:01 PM
interesting question, i'd probably just cut away the arms and legs on RHiggit Lite and attach my own arm and leg rigs... (simply by parenting them)

these could probably be done with PLG IK or Shift Spline Transform (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA) or such...

 

erikals
10-22-2010, 03:20 PM
yes, the question is if it keeps its volume though, or if parts of the tubes gets thicker /thinner...
(the elbow area might transform into a thicker volume when the arm is bent like seen in this video)

(can't say though, haven't been able to test it just yet)

Tonttu
10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Someone made a rubber hose rig for Blender. (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168892)
Any other attempts?

jwiede
10-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Someone made a rubber hose rig for Blender. (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=168892)
Any other attempts?

What does that have to do with RHiggit Pro?

Let's try to keep the thread on-topic, please.

erikals
10-22-2010, 04:08 PM
it's sort of on topic, as the question is if RHP is able to animate hose-like arms/bones.

btw, i think you can,
create a 2point poly chain and rig it, then make that 2point poly chain drive the arm/bones via a metalink... maybe... anyway, out of ideas on that one...

silviotoledo
10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Where's Craig and Pro Version?

Hope he have been abducted by Lightwave 10 :)

Any chance to have a RHHiggit in LW 10?

jasonwestmas
10-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Where's Craig and Pro Version?

Hope he have been abducted by Lightwave 10 :)

Any chance to have a RHHiggit in LW 10?

It'll be affordable for most people I think.

3dWannabe
10-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Craig - I'm definitely buying Pro when it comes out.

But, rigging the character is only part of the equation.

A camera rig is necessary to create elegant camera moves to capture the rigged character movements in all their glory.

In Fusion, I just finished an elementary camera rig macro that has these features controlled by sliders.

1. a target that determines where the camera is pointed that can be positioned in x,y,z.

2. a camera, that can be moved in x,y,z

3. *** the ability to rotate in an arc around the target in x and y, keeping the camera equidistant from the target.

4. *** able to position both the target and the camera at the same time (they both move together) in x,y,z

5. change Angle of view, Focal Length, near/far clip, etc.

--
As you are producing commercial projects, and certainly have a better understanding of what features a camera rig needs in LW than I do, could you create a camera rig for the Pro product, or release it into the public domain to help pull more users into reading about and purchasing the Pro product?

I'm sure that based on your real-world experience, there are all sorts of features that you would add beyond my simple rig, and I'd love to see them!!!

RebelHill
10-23-2010, 02:12 PM
No... no Ive not been abducted by aliens just yet... though Ive had the telescope out tongith observing the moons mountains for signs of hope.

Otherwise no new news... still busy with other things, but thats Ok, I like to come back to this after a lil time off from it to give me a lil fresh perspective on where Im at, and what choices Im making... though Ill probs have to take a day or 2 to re-read all my scripts and remember what on earth does what.

As for the bendy limb question...

The rigger does indeed allow for bendy, scalable limbs... the demo version lets you try this out... but NOT the curved tubular limbs. Although this could be incproprated, it'd have to be at the expense of a regular limb type, and the setup wouldnt work so well with all characters.

As for can it be done in LW, and the tutorial vids show how... they dont show it specifically, but they they do show the different compnent parts that you'd need to set it up (namely squash n stretch deformation, and muligoal IK setups separately). Its also worth noting that its not as easy an affair in LW as in some other packages, softimage being a notable example, but it is doable, both with LWs native tools, though probably more easily with third party plugs like PLG curve bone, or shift spline transform, as mentioned already.

This is though, probably LWs greatest weakness when it comes to cartoony rigging.

mav3rick
10-23-2010, 07:15 PM
REBELL is it possyble to edit rig with assymetric proportions.. for ex mutants with different position of eyes, arms etc.. basicly can i enter full non simetric edit mode

ericsmith
10-24-2010, 09:52 AM
A camera rig is necessary to create elegant camera moves to capture the rigged character movements in all their glory.

I don't want to go off on a big tangent here, but this is something you may want to look at Maestro for. There's a light and camera rig that works quite nicely. I designed it to work the same way as production level live action camera rigs (track, boom, pivot around object, etc).

Eric

3dWannabe
10-24-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't want to go off on a big tangent here, but this is something you may want to look at Maestro for. There's a light and camera rig that works quite nicely. I designed it to work the same way as production level live action camera rigs (track, boom, pivot around object, etc).

Eric
Eric - Could I use the light and camera rig separately from Maestro (or, at least, could I use them inside Maestro but with another rig or scene not created by Maestro?)

Is there a video showing these camera and lighting rigs?

BTW - very glad you have a lighting rig!

I also created a lighting rig for Fusion that has a Fusion spotlight inside an FBX model (imported from Lightwave) of an actual spotlight, with clamps and spotlight holder where each part of the rig can rotate, etc - and the actual Fusion spotlight, which is last in the hierarchy, moves along with the different parts.

I do like Pro's concept of two separate (but related) rigs for different purposes. As I now have MotionBuilder, this seems very useful (although, I've yet to get my head around all of this yet). (the RHiggit Pro preview video shows how to integrate with MotionBuilder, do you have any videos showing MotionBuilder integration?)

I"m still very interested in Maestro, as if I remember, it handles Quadrupeds.

From your previous posts in this thread (it was great watching the dialog between the two of you who know so much about rigging!) Maestro also provides different features using entirely different methods.

I'll have to review the posts, but I seem to remember that both Pro and Maestro could complement each other, and I may well purchase both.

nickdigital
12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
How does licensing work?
Are these dongle locked?
Floating?
Are there volume discounts?

We already own the training material.

Thanks.

Craig,

Do you have an answer for these?

Thx.

mikadit
12-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Can't say much, becouse I don't know if something would change from RHiggid Lite to Pro, but I don't think that there would be any real technical proble about licensing. I'm pretty sure about the volume discount, as you can read in what actually are the official FAQ, at Q6 about multiple seats/licenses/studio:
http://rebelhill.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=50&sid=1bf19df9c2772a52b39f8e0e41a81fbf

littlewaves
01-12-2011, 01:53 AM
This isn't intended to be an impertinent question and certainly not meant as a dig but is RHiggit Pro still happening? If so is there a vague timescale or is it a case of waiting for Newtek to improve LW10's performance?

RebelHill
01-12-2011, 07:26 AM
it is still happening, fear not, adn yes there is a timescale, but its so vague that even Im not sure exactly what it is.

I have also been using it ofc in actual work in the meantime, which has given me the odd new idea, bug revelation, etc... so the fates are at least coming together in its favour even while Im not actually in the midst of finishing it off.

And as for LW 10... the performance drop is real, though not THAT big (I just like to ham it up some in the hope NT might pull off a blinder and improve things beyond expectation)...

And YES, for any who may wonder... RHiggit works just fine and dandy with LW10, no changes or additions needed.

littlewaves
01-12-2011, 07:40 AM
I just like to ham it up some in the hope NT might pull off a blinder and improve things beyond expectation

Well we've all done that from time to time!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it'll be well worth waiting for.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
it is still happening, fear not, adn yes there is a timescale, but its so vague that even Im not sure exactly what it is.

I have also been using it ofc in actual work in the meantime, which has given me the odd new idea, bug revelation, etc... so the fates are at least coming together in its favour even while Im not actually in the midst of finishing it off.

And as for LW 10... the performance drop is real, though not THAT big (I just like to ham it up some in the hope NT might pull off a blinder and improve things beyond expectation)...

And YES, for any who may wonder... RHiggit works just fine and dandy with LW10, no changes or additions needed.

There is a bogging down in performance when loading a single rhiggit character in 9.6 but it soon speeds up. In LW 10 I get a similar performance hit that lasts for a few minutes longer. I'm not sure why that would be.

wesball
01-12-2011, 08:27 AM
That's great to here RebelHill.

lreyes
01-13-2011, 09:37 AM
After watching the demo, I have one question which I have over looked, but when bringing in a model into layout, does that model have to have bone already imbedded? The demo shows that when a model is brought in, it had bones there, then aftewards you put your rig in. What is the point of having to have bones in the model, I would think that RHiggit would put those bones in and then rig it. Or does RHiggit needs to have your bones put in the model before going to layout. What if your bones do not agree with RHiggit bone rig? Please clear it up...thanks

jasonwestmas
01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
After watching the demo, I have one question which I have over looked, but when bringing in a model into layout, does that model have to have bone already imbedded? The demo shows that when a model is brought in, it had bones there, then aftewards you put your rig in. What is the point of having to have bones in the model, I would think that RHiggit would put those bones in and then rig it. Or does RHiggit needs to have your bones put in the model before going to layout. What if your bones do not agree with RHiggit bone rig? Please clear it up...thanks

You import a rhiggit scene that already has joints in it. It can't be just any scene but the scene that the rhiggit plugin is sold with. These are your markers that you position which tell rhiggit where to place the new rig joints. You position the markers in rig-edit mode. After that is done, you press the rig command. What happens is the marker joints disappear and new bones/joints with full body IK/FK are then automatically setup for you.

3dWannabe
03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Any word on the release date?

Netvudu
03-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Craig. Stop all that useless eating and sleeping. Youīre neglecting the really important matter...us :D

3dWannabe
03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Yes, think of the little un-rigged cartoon children who will go to bed hungry tonight, unable to feed themselves with their little un-rigged cartoon hands, due to the lack of your rigging tools!

erikals
03-25-2011, 12:45 AM
i actually know a guy who was sent to the hospital with a no-rhiggit-pro syndrome...

stiff paper
03-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Yeah, we had spontaneous rioting here by anxious rhiggit users. And this one guy told me that Craig doesn't sleep... when he feels tired he just hovers on the astral plane for a while...

RebelHill
03-25-2011, 04:18 AM
actually its getting close to the finsish now, almost all the main parts are done, just a few extra assets left, run it through testing again, then do docs.

If nothing else the long time taken, and rawn out process of it has definately served to improve it, with a lot of optimisations being added, as well as new thought up features and systems for the rigs themselves.

wont be long now, and Im sure you'll like what you see.

Tonttu
03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
when he feels tired he just hovers on the astral plane for a while...

Look at his avatar.. he is Swami Rigananda.

RebelHill
03-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Well, Im glad that everyone's still been looking forward to this thing coming out and is excited to see it.

Sadly autodesk paid me off to bury it... ok no Im joking. Ahem...

Release will be in the next week... in the meantime, here's a lil something for y'all to play with in advance.

wesball
03-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Awesome! Great news.

So is the idea with this version that it plays nice with fbx/mocap?

GraphXs
03-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Nice, looking forward to it, what was the cost going to be?

erikals
03-31-2011, 03:18 PM
You do realize that you could have used this tomorrow and it would have been so very effective?

April 1st.... :)

Omg,... thanks...!
completely forgot... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

good news though,... good news... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

 

Ryan Roye
03-31-2011, 05:43 PM
Dig the voice! And I really like how you introduced the product too. Very professional showcase.

Netvudu
04-06-2011, 08:35 AM
I just checked that pdf doc and Iīm super-hyped by the quality of the product. I could be using this already...cheers! for "da" inminent release!
I didnīt purchase Lite version because I had some recent disappointments with Lite versions of products never going Pro, but for this one Iīm definitely a buyer...

PS: By the way Craig,reading the docs in the "quadrupeds" section, you mention stuff like a trunk not being present (which is understandable), and that makes me ask you, what is your favourite method in Lw currently for that kind of stuff?. In the past I was a big fan of Shift_Spline Transform which is the working version of Spline Control, but thereīs no 64-bit version, and currently I only work with 64 bit installments of LW. Any native solution you can recommend? Maybe multi-goal IK?

RebelHill
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Multigoal IK in LW can be a bit of a let down. If you're on windows, then I can't help but recommend PLGik... its proper awesome for stuff like that. TBH, if I could've, I would've rigged the tail using PLG in RHiggit, but due to the mac issue it was a no go.

The tail rig that is included was about the best/simplest native LW solution i could come up with that would work with the automated setup, but for any with knowledge about rigging stuff id expect the to likely rip it out, and fit something else.

If you wanna see the different approaches to multigoal stuff in LW, download my RHR 3 hour demo, there's a vid in there that covers all the options for you.

And imminent should hopefully now be very imminent, like the next 24 hours.

jasonwestmas
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
The PLG curvebone stuff is pretty cool too. Not sure if that works with mac users.

Samus
04-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey...

Any Update on your G.I Trick???
This could be a major helper to us all!

Thanks

Samus
04-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I've just found something with very very low flicker on interpenetrating Polys...it's actualy rendering...Conclusion later on...