PDA

View Full Version : Need help with animation set up

halley
09-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I am trying to create an animation of tape unrolling off of a spool. as the tape unrolls from the spool it will have a flow to it with an arcing shape too? I am at a loss on how to set it up. Does any one know of any tutorials that can show the process? It can be any thing similar like string or film unrolling off of a spool or a block and tackle set.

Thanks

wibly wobly
09-20-2010, 09:35 AM
You might be able to get away with having the "spool" being a hard shape, while the ribbon on the tumbler just change it's scale as you run out of ribbon. For the ribbon itself, what kind of arcing motion do you need? If it's not too specific. You could probably use trailer, or even just toss in some wind and let MDD take care of it, though I think the latter might get out of control and waste a lot of time. Never know though, it might be what you're looking for.

4dartist
09-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Unless there was a texture on the surface of the tape that was VERY visible, I would fake it like said ^ above ^. Even if there was a slight texture, I would probably fake it too, just make it rotate along the main tape body at the same rate the new tape is coming out.

It would have to be pretty extreme for me to attempt to actually have tape geometry roll off. If I did, it would have to be something spline based I guess, or slide geometry along bones or a path of some sort.

Good luck, always fun to have a challenge! :) Would love to see what you come up with.

halley
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the tips... It is going to be a hard one because there will be images in the tape like a movie real. I'm making this project harder than it has to be. I am basically creating an opening animation for an E Learning product on safety for the Gov. I just wan't to stretch my LW skills. I hardly get a good animation challenge in this job and my skill sets are diminishing fast. I've attached an example of what the role and tape ribbon will look like. I may kill the ark and keep it more liner in motion

wibly wobly
09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
If you're not that close to the reel, you might be able to sync a long image strip (otherwise, you may be looking at a really stupidly large image) to the unrolling ribbon with some expressions. Kinda like having wheels roll in sync with how fast they're rolling over the ground?

stiff paper
09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Position the camera so you can't see where the strip "joins" the spool then fake the film on the reel becoming "smaller" and do the unspooling strip with clothFX?

dwburman
09-20-2010, 05:20 PM
You could try animating the texture moving through static geometry. You could use a clip map to reveal the ribbon of tape.

Edit: I did a proof of concept test and attached the results.

I made the tape by making a 2D box in the profile of the tape, slapping a UV map on it and using the SeaShell tool (with make UVs) to extrude it into a spool shape. I had to move the points on the top and bottom after the seashell tool because the seashell tool scales things as it spins them. I manually unwrapped the straight piece of tape one section at a time.

halley
09-21-2010, 03:11 PM
You could try animating the texture moving through static geometry. You could use a clip map to reveal the ribbon of tape.

Edit: I did a proof of concept test and attached the results.

I made the tape by making a 2D box in the profile of the tape, slapping a UV map on it and using the SeaShell tool (with make UVs) to extrude it into a spool shape. I had to move the points on the top and bottom after the seashell tool because the seashell tool scales things as it spins them. I manually unwrapped the straight piece of tape one section at a time.

Thanks It's close to what I wan't I will give it a try.