PDA

View Full Version : Images Not Saving

wsimike
09-20-2003, 11:02 AM
Hello..

I'm really hoping someone can help me with this because I'm at my wits' end..

I've been rendering out some high-res images for a project I'm working on. The final image is 4.5' wide by 5' high and is for a print project.

I've now wasted a total of 30 hours waiting for this final render to go through and have not been able to get a single saved image.

It seems like what's happening is, Lightwave, after a certain image size, doesn't bother to bring up the the image viewer when the render's done. It just shows the "preview" render screen and that's it. Pressing Continue only drops you back to the interface. I've set it to just ImageViewer and ImageViewerFP and neither one comes up when the render is complete.

Soo.. I went into Render Options and set the output file to save to a .bmp file on my desktop, gave it a name, checked the "save rgb" box, named it and everything.. I come in to find the render complete but, again, no file saved. I did a search for it on my HD.. nothing..

Basically.. Lightwave is just not saving any images, or giving me the option to.

This only happens on large jobs. On smaller images, it's fine. Is it some kind of a resource problem it has?

I have 512megs of RAM so.. while I'm not "high end", I'm not exactly set up like your common desktop PC.

Anyone know how to correct this? I've lost 3 days of time to complete this project now because of this.

Thanks..
Mike

toby
09-20-2003, 12:34 PM
Actually 512 ram is rather skimpy for print size images. I think I heard that the ram requirement increases exponentially with image size -

Try rendering a huge blank image, if it saves that then I would think you just need more ram - 2 gigs would be good. If it doesn't save, try re-loading all of your i/o plug-ins -

hope that helps

munky
09-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Sometimes Lw doesn't like doing big stuff straight to the image viewer don't know why but that's life. Toby is right You Need more ram 512mb isn't enough You should assign more memory to the segment memory limit in the camera properties panel (page 13.7 lightwave manual) also you should decide upon the filetype eg tif targa etc and render the single frame as an image sequence (F10) but with the render options frame range set from say 1 to 1 that way Lw will save your file to disc as name001.tif then you can open it in say Photoshop or similar, as for some reason Lw seems to prefer it this way.

regards

paul

madrenderman
09-25-2003, 04:03 PM
recently i did a lot of print image and can give you some suggest
- go up to 1 or 2 gb of ram, you can speed up a lot
- use automatic saving (like if you do an animation from 1 to 1) instead of use image viewer, it's more stable and sicure
- use frenchware plugin to split image in different section, and render it in batch with screamernet (free screamernet controllor from dstorm.co.jp is a good solution), you can speed up rendering, and if you have problem you can rerender only section you need
- use a smaller segment memory limits untils rendering start fine
- check with "w" statistic of memory
good luck i hope this help you