PDA

View Full Version : off topic> lightbulb changing job?

cresshead
09-19-2010, 04:27 AM
youtube vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79byk4ytxg

just when you think your job is not so grand...think of this as the other choice!

...i LOVE my job now!
:D

one heck of a job just to place a omni light!
...should have used luxigons!

oliversimonnet
09-19-2010, 05:12 AM
OMG dude that is sooo high,wooowww
no waywould i be able to climb up there

erikals
09-19-2010, 06:07 AM
...my palms are sweating, seriously (!)
...shoot that was high!

probiner
09-19-2010, 09:16 AM
3:49 "Now, we've reached the base of the antenna..." MOOOOAAAARRR?

Incredible footage. I guess each job has it's thrills...

Hopper
09-19-2010, 09:47 AM
I love the first comment...

30lb tool bag, my ***.....thats where they keep thier balls

On a scale from 1 to 10, the pucker factor was just over 13.

vncnt
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
...my palms are sweating, seriously (!)

Me too!

Maybe it´s easier when you´re actually doing it.
(climbing I meant)

cresshead
09-19-2010, 11:33 AM
you KNOW someone will make a stereoscopic production with this subject...can you imagine the Sony guy in the retail store playing this on the biggest 3d TV as a demo video!
plus dolby 5:1 surround sound!

would be amazing, and truly scary!

Shnoze Shmon
09-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Several years back while discussing the idea of someone doing this on a tower over 1900' I came up with the epitaph "My greatest regret in life, that last OOPS!"

Watching that makes me wanna release all the tension in my lower abdomen.

COBRASoft
09-20-2010, 09:59 AM
Sh*t, that's high! The part without any protection is simply nuts! I'm not feeling comfortable watching them going up like that. Imagine going down, that's more dangerous and scary.

Nangleator
09-22-2010, 01:39 PM
I can not get through this video. I'm shaking and squirming in my seat.

Oddly enough, I have around 150 hours flying time, and was always perfectly comfortable at that altitude. But being connected to the ground on something so unbelievably flimsy... imagine the movements of it, even with guy wires! Imagine the sounds it makes!

Shnoze Shmon
09-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Oddly enough, I have around 150 hours flying time, and was always perfectly comfortable at that altitude. But being connected to the ground on something so unbelievably flimsy... imagine the movements of it, even with guy wires! Imagine the sounds it makes!

Yeah I'm a pilot too. I bet you don't wing walk though.

I work with a former skydiver. That video drives him up the wall too. Were both afraid of heights. I also work with a former helicopter door gunner. He wont even get on a roof.

Markc
09-22-2010, 02:10 PM
It must take forever to get back down!
Would be better to 'base jump' (with parachute) :)

colkai
09-23-2010, 03:55 AM

I had to keep skipping forward, I swear I was getting vertigo just sat here!

SBowie
09-23-2010, 05:45 AM
I also work with a former helicopter door gunner. He wont even get on a roof.Which raises the question - this couldn't be done from a chopper's skid (with safety harness) or (or rapell line? Or they couldn't engineer a nice little powered lift (with a very small railed platform to stand on) into the tower design?

Nangleator
09-23-2010, 06:34 AM
How about the light fixture can be lowered with a pulley, like on a flag pole? That way you can change the light while standing on the ground.

I suppose an eighteen-hundred-foot pulley would be a little difficult to tug on, though.

SBowie
09-23-2010, 07:09 AM
How about the light fixture can be lowered with a pulley, like on a flag pole? That way you can change the light while standing on the ground.I had a similar thought, but figured that other repairs might actually call for a physical visit. (I expect the chopper can be ruled out for some reason, too - just curious what it might be.)

Titus
09-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Before college I had a job installing antennas, nothing as big as this tower but an exciting work. For some people is better than be seated in front of a computer all day long.