PDA

View Full Version : Halo Reach....

Snosrap
09-18-2010, 11:29 PM
..... is amazing! Just finished the campaign on Heroic. First class presentation. Great combat, fantastic graphics and phenomenal music with a real sand box play as you want style. Only complaint - too short. I'd say I had 10-12 hrs in it, but tons of replay value. I think I played through the original Halo 5-6 times using different strategies in the combat and I can see myself doing the same here as well, but the battles are far more intense. Just started replaying it again in Normal and it's a blast going in "Rambo" style to take out the aliens. If anyone wants to join me in co-op just look me up, I'm Snosrap on XBox Live.

lwaddict
09-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Halo Reach...

Had to try it just to see what the hype was all about.

I used to be a huge Halo fan, but after three versions of the same thing with just new levels... I stopped.

So ok... picked up a copy and played it for three days off and on.

My take...

Overhyped, oversold, and still clinging to the fanbase.

If you've played all the versions then you can see some modifications that make it a little better for after ten years+ ? Really? This was it? Sorry, not good enough.

Look at "Call of Duty" over the last ten years. Geesuz what a change and if they're trying to keep you on it with new levels, then they just sell you new levels instead of pretending it's a new game.

"Halo" is done. At least here it is. Now to trade it in before I lose a chance at getting some of my money back. Ugh.

Snosrap
09-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Halo is all about the combat and the AI of the enemies and their nuances. Is it the same as the original? - yes - for the most part, but why screw with perfection. The Call of Duty games are great - on-line- the single player aspect of them are terrible. COD equals step on an invisible hot spot and trigger an enemy opening a door and killing you, return to same spot and repeat. Keep repeating until you finally get them first. Halo games are not like that. Bungie designed the set pieces of the battle ground, but leave it totally up to you to use the strategy that you see fit to defeat the enemy. If you are solely refering to on-line multiplayer, I agree with you with what COD has added to the series and the downloadable maps. I was just looking the other day and I have just over 10 days time-wise invested in COD MW2 -it's a blast. On the contrary, I've probably spent about 2hrs total on-line with all the Halo games, I prefer the campaigns because I can play it at my pace. The on-line play just gets too frantic for me and the enemy AI is nice challenge for me, so I stick to the campaign. The story portion of Halo or COD for that matter, I don't give a rip for. So to each there own.

lwaddict
09-21-2010, 12:23 PM
Ditto on the not caring about the storylines...
didn't pay for a soap opera, just wanted to relieve some tension by firing off rounds at smack talking online peeps.

Perfection though?
Halo was great back in the day vs. what was available, like I said, I used to be a fanboy.
But come on, ten years later and it's still the same...
horrid targeting,
lousy ai,
cutesy graphics,
slow cumbersome movement.
All could've been vastly improved by now.

But if your a fan your a fan...
you're right about COD though, it's the online play that makes or breaks it every single version.
Love it.

4dartist
09-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I've been playing it a little. So far it's pretty fun. My only real complaint is that the frame rate is too low. I can feeeeel the slowdown on some of the more heavy maps. A small delay in reaction to my input. That **** just bugs the crap out of me, it was like that in one of the maps on the beta too, the generator defense map they had in the beta. I figured they would get it smoother, and maybe they have a little, but it's not gone. Lame.

Multiplayer is a bit more diverse with classes, but honestly plays and feels exactly like halo 2, 3, and ODST. The out of bounds thing is annoying too.. like UNSC said it's dangerous to stand on top of a building because they don't want a lawsuit.

Best multiplayer 1st person game I've played is Bad Company 2. So much fun blowing the walls out of a house, so many tactics and diversity of approaches to a battle. They just need some cooperative stuff, because sometimes it's nice to kill some NPCs to relax and have fun.

JAW
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
..... is amazing! Just finished the campaign on Heroic. First class presentation. Great combat, fantastic graphics and phenomenal music with a real sand box play as you want style. Only complaint - too short. I'd say I had 10-12 hrs in it, but tons of replay value. I think I played through the original Halo 5-6 times using different strategies in the combat and I can see myself doing the same here as well, but the battles are far more intense. Just started replaying it again in Normal and it's a blast going in "Rambo" style to take out the aliens. If anyone wants to join me in co-op just look me up, I'm Snosrap on XBox Live.

Id love to see Halo- "Birth of a Spartan" trailer made into a full length feature, :D

IgnusFast
09-22-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't played Halo since it's last release on PCs. Console controllers are good for platformers and driving games, but that's about it.

jasonwestmas
09-22-2010, 07:43 PM
I never had an urge to play Halo after the first release. I think I got really sick of it because that is what my friends in college played 80% of the time. For quick start games I like fighter games better I think. Shooters I really like better on a pc anyway.

bugzilla
09-22-2010, 08:51 PM
I played the original Halo when it was ported to the PC and I found it to be very, very generic. Not bad, just nothing special at all. Maybe it's just because there are so many great FPS games on the PC I was spoiled. Also, I heard the storyline of the Halo games was supposed to be so stellar, but all the elements are ripped from old SF classic literature. The Halo world itself is a direct ripoff of Larry Niven's Ringworld. I also spotted several Starship Troopers and Ender's Game "homages".

So, what am I missing? Why is such a generic shooter so damn popular?

I honestly don't get it.

jasonwestmas
09-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Maybe Halo fans just haven't played that many PC shooters? There are sooo many shooters for PC that the competition is extremely steep.