PDA

View Full Version : coil animation, need your HELP !!!

Andy Meyer
09-18-2010, 12:46 AM
i need your help!

the cable is coiled on the ground.
the cable is pulled upwards through the loop.

i have no idea how to animate, please HELP!!!

http://www.andymeyer.ch/temp/coil.jpg

LW_Will
09-18-2010, 12:52 AM
ClothFX added to the rope.

Dexter2999
09-18-2010, 12:53 AM
Use a bone chain to make the straight cable coil up on the ground and travel to the hoop??

wesleycorgi
09-18-2010, 03:45 AM
I watched this recently and this should work: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/pulley.mov

Mr Rid
09-18-2010, 04:01 AM
I cant picture the bone morph gag working well here. I think the only way that might work in LW, and move convincingly is by using ClothFX, and MetaLink a low res cable. I wish bone dynamics were more robust- I still have never found a use for them since the drawback for me is usually that the bones wont collide with themselves.

3DGFXStudios
09-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Easiest way to do that is with cloth fx but with a 2 point poly chain. Make a selection set for the first point. Set that point to locked and than animate it up. Than calculate the dynamics and add fxmeta-link to your rope model. It should be paranted to your 2 point poly chain.

Salv8or
09-18-2010, 07:22 AM
I would go with linked clothFX or Inertia.

Dodgy
09-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Or Shift_Splinetransform from my web page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aozfc57R4WA

flashover
09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
This plug is very cool :D tnx a lot mate :D

jeric_synergy
09-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Haven't examined all the answers yet, but the QUESTION is EXCELLENT!!! :thumbsup:
+++++++++
SHIFT-SPLINE TRANSFORM: can someone show this plugin being used in an actual production?

Andy, when you get that animated, I'd be very interested in seeing it!

jeric_synergy
09-18-2010, 08:08 PM
i need your help!

the cable is coiled on the ground.
the cable is pulled upwards through the loop.

i have no idea how to animate, please HELP!!!

http://www.andymeyer.ch/temp/coil.jpg

Andy, see the attached scene. You may have to recalc the dynamics on the rope object. (Very probably.)

The simulation fails at a certain point, but I think that could be solved by a finer spatial resolution or more divisions in the 2point polychain. (use DStorm's "Curve To Polygons" to create the 2point polychain.)

You'd use this with one of the linker plugins to animate your 3d cable. Should work.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2010, 10:22 PM
Here's that scene above, animated: :chicken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi-Mrnt3lQo

j

Andy Meyer
09-18-2010, 10:48 PM
thanks a lot for your answers.
i will try what works best.
i already tested clouthFX, the results are close to what i want... but not good enought yet. to much like clouth. the cable must look solid, it is used in an elevator.
i will show you my result when i got it.

i will check out the Shift_Splinetransform plugin, looks promising.

cheers, Andy

jeric_synergy
09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Have you tried dropping the elasticity of the cloth settings to less than zero?

You know who'd be good to ask about this? CelShader. She's a master of this stuff.

(I'm wondering if my train next month will go by Lucern.....)

Dodgy
09-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Jeric,
I had a look at your scene and I have a couple of suggestions.

One thing you should do is do a rail extrude to ensure the rope has equally spaced segments. This will help ensure there are no large 'gaps' between points as collision is done between the cloth object's points and the collision object's polys. If there's a large gap, the barrel can pass through it.

Also, your scene is quite large, but your Collision radius for the cloth object is 1cm, increasing this will increase the chance of the rope not going through the object. Think of it like a ball of this radius around each point, the bigger the ball, the more likely the point will collide with something.

It's a good idea to have some elasticity, the calcs need a little give to stop from freaking out. It's just a matter of lowering it till it does go bonkers.

jeric_synergy
09-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Jeric,
I had a look at your scene and I have a couple of suggestions.
Dodgy, not my scene, I just whipped something up as a proof of concept for Andy.

I just left everything at default. Andy'll have to make it work-- he's the one getting paid. :bday:

I also just used a very sloppy 2ppchain for the collision object-- I don't remember if I bothered evening it out.....::looks:: yeah, it's really "lumpy". If I were doing this for real, I'd use "Equal Lengths" in CurveToPolys, and more points too. There's only 137 in the collision object.

OTOH, it does the simulation nice and fast even on my elderly machine, so Andy shouldn't have any troubles with his cable.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2010, 12:26 AM
If Dangle supports collision objects, maybe. IIRC it's more for catenary curves.

Also, we know Andy has ClothFX. Maybe not Polk.

erikals
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
um, shouldn't a ClothFX 2 point poly chain with metalink do the job?

erikals
09-28-2010, 06:08 PM
no expert on ClothFX settings, but gave this a shot,...
can also be used for uh,... never mind...

rope cable spring animated animate morph

Andy Meyer
10-06-2010, 04:07 PM
thanks for your replies. just wanna let you know i'm not gone :-)
i'm so friggin busy the last days... the rope anim is not yet like i want it, but for a first look it was good for my customer. i will check out your ideas and report... i really have to learn more about cloth and stuff...
thanks,
Andy