PDA

View Full Version : Need Suggestion Specs for New Affordable Barebones PC

RegGFX
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi all,
I'm having to build a new barebones pc as my old one is 4 years out of date now.

What are some of the specs would you recommend for an affordable barebones configuration+video card i should build for my Lightwave system?

Key factor is affordability... i can only spend about $500-$800 bucks.
Hey... the economy stinks... so gotta budget.

Suggestions welcome.:help:

BigHache
09-17-2010, 05:45 PM
When you say barebones, are you talking about something like a Shuttle system, or as just a general term? Also, can you migrate existing components like optical drive, case, OS?

Lightwolf
09-17-2010, 06:19 PM
What can you re-use?

For that budget, especially if you want to render a lot, I'd for for a 6-core Athlon, at least 4GB of RAM and a nVidia 460 (or 450 if the budgets is to tight).

Beyond that it depends on what you want to and can re-use. I'd probably switch to Win7, get a new hard drive (they're cheap enough), keep the DVD burner if it's still o.k. and get a new PSU if it's needed.

Cheers,
Mike

RegGFX
09-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Basically i'm looking for an updated 2010 reply similar to what this post was: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511

That was specs from 2006 and as we know its now 2010 so i'm looking to see what everyone else is using. I've used lightwave for almost a total of 15 years and every so often I update my cpu or just build my new one from a barebones PC configuration based on feed back from the forum on likes and dislikes. I pretty much do animation,modeling... this is going to be for all purpose Lightwave use...

I'm just trying to get a gauge on whateveryone is using and find whats successful for them when using todays hardware with a newly reconfigured Barebones PC which I then configure and enhance from there. Very similar to what this old post was talking about http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47511 but again only with todays technology, please feel free to share your specs here... its just that simple... not complicated... just like to know what everyone's hardware is... i have an idea of what i want to use. So if you want to share what your're using, i'll try to budget mine closely but only spend $500 to $800

OS = PC using Windows 7
CPU ?
AMD vs Intel? (i've had better success with AMD myself)
Motherboard ?
Video card ?
Power Supply ?
Memory ?
Hard drive ?
Monitor = Currently use Dual 22" Monitors
Heat sink ?

Share your system...

BigHache
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM
My hardware is in my sig. I'd probably look at getting the most cpu you can get, then base everything down from there. Like Lightwolf said, re-using parts will help. Let's say your case was $50, PSU $80, DVD $30. There's $160 that doesn't come out of your new build budget. That could be two more cores of cpu, or Win 7, etc.

For most applications, you probably don't need a superfantastical video card of awesomeness, perhaps a 9-series NVidia (I'm not current on ATI products) if the price is right.

Before installing an H50, I was using a GeminII S HSF. It was economic and pretty decent.

I have a CoolerMaster 650W PSU. It's been reliable and is still serving me well.

I'm more versed on AMD, if you get something AM2/AM2+ you'll be able to get "more" than going AM3. "More" as in say 8GB DDR2 as opposed to 4GB DDR3… along those lines.

Lightwolf
09-22-2010, 10:31 AM
For most applications, you probably don't need a superfantastical video card of awesomeness, perhaps a 9-series NVidia (I'm not current on ATI products) if the price is right.
The nVidia 450/460s seem to the sweet spot atm.

I'm more versed on AMD, if you get something AM2/AM2+ you'll be able to get "more" than going AM3. "More" as in say 8GB DDR2 as opposed to 4GB DDR3… along those lines.
I'd certainly opt for AM3. DDR3 might be more expensive at higher densities... but you have the 6-core option plus an 8-core option apparently coming up next year.
And make sure it's the current chipset with SATA6G support, just in case ;)

Cheers,
Mike

BigHache
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Mike, are you on SATA6G drives? Just curious how much of a bump that gives.

jeric_synergy
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
One thing against, sadly, scavenging is the fact that if you're planning a lot of rendering, your old machine would probably make a perfectly adequate, if not-exactly-blazing, render node. Not great, but adequate.

But, if it's say 25% the speed of your new machine, well, there's 25% more renders.

Lightwolf
09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Mike, are you on SATA6G drives? Just curious how much of a bump that gives.
Nothing at all on traditional HDDs, but SSDs can be limited by 3G.

No personal experience though. But the point is, if you get a new board now then you'll be using it for a few years, so it makes sense to make sure you get the latest tech (I.e. USB3 is another one I'd look for).

Better safe than sorry in two years.

Cheers,
Mike

OnlineRender
09-22-2010, 01:58 PM
funnily enough today ,my wifes father bought a new rig from fleebay , in fact he got so excited that he bought 3 by mistake , yes not 2 , but 3 times ...see screen shot . .

but I was saying to some people , I dont think I can build a rig for that price , there is something dodgy about the package , but meh that's fleebay for you.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7908/ebayfuckup.jpg

BigHache
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
… so it makes sense to make sure you get the latest tech (I.e. USB3 is another one I'd look for).

Yup I agree, just not always possible depending on budget. Would love an upgrade myself but I'm thinking I should jump onto LW10 while the special it still open.

Hehe, fleebay. Pretty much sums it up.

Lightwolf
09-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Yup I agree, just not always possible depending on budget.
Well, at least when it comes to AM3 boards it hardly makes a difference, US$ 10-20 max.

Cheers,
Mike

BigHache
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Oh schweet. I haven't priced parts in several months. I'll have to get back on it.

cgisoul
09-24-2010, 02:19 AM
Win 7 Pro 64 bits definitely if you are planning to go beyond 4 GB mem.
Core i7 860 - 2.8 GHz
Gigabyte P55A-UD4 - Excellent motherboard and supports USB v.3 / SATA v.3
4 GB at least
GFx card would go with Nvidia gtx 460

Jim_C
09-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi all,
I'm having to build a new barebones pc as my old one is 4 years out of date now.

What are some of the specs would you recommend for an affordable barebones configuration+video card i should build for my Lightwave system?

Key factor is affordability... i can only spend about $500-$800 bucks.
Hey... the economy stinks... so gotta budget.

Suggestions welcome.:help:

If you don't mind a refurb with a Full Warranty, the Dell Outlet has really nice workstations in that price range.
Or sometimes they have sales on new items (first link below)

Dell 2.4 Quad Workstation for $399
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=bedwlr1&cs=04&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&dgc=SS&cid=52103&lid=1342491

Dell Business Outlet
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/df.aspx?refid=df&cs=28&s=dfb

I have a house full of Dell outlet purchases and besides losing the PSU on one, no problems what so ever.

Just another idea.

Jim_C
09-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Here's something a little(lot) more up to date and still in price range..

$700
Software & Services
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
No Monitor
6GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz- 3 DIMMs
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Dell USB Entry Keyboard
Dell USB Optical Mouse
Personalize
2 Year Basic Service Plan
Microsoft® Office Starter 2010
McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
My Accessories
Also Includes
Intel® Core™ i5-750 processor(8MB Cache, 2.66GHz)
ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
No Modem Option
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
No Speaker Option
Adobe® Reader 9.0

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddoyb9&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN&dgc=SS&cid=39716&lid=1003783