PDA

View Full Version : Procedurals

Richard Hebert
09-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi everyone,

This one involves procedural textures. With procedurals it seems that you get the option to choose x,y or z projection. What if I want the texture to be projected according to the surface normals so that the texture follows all the curves and bumps accurately? Surely this option has to exist somewhere or am I overlooking it? Thanks for any input as always. Did I mention I'm still relatively new at this??

Richard

ericsmith
09-17-2010, 11:23 AM
You can do it with nodes, as I recall. I'm not sure about specifics at the moment, but the basic idea is you can drive the rotation of the procedural with a spot info node. Or if not that, there's some node that gets normal values.

Eric

Richard Hebert
09-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the response. I haven't worked with nodes yet as they were too daunting with all of the other aspects of LW to learn first. There are so many variables with the node editor each with seemingly unlimited options that to attempt something with a trial and error approach would use up a whole lifetime to accomplish anything. I think I'm at a point where I might give it another go. So, spot info. is referring to the normal of a poly?

dwburman
09-17-2010, 11:48 AM
You can apply a procedural onto a (blank) image in the Image editor. You can then map that image onto your geometry with UVs. Not exactly what you're asking for, but it might get you to your goal.

Richard Hebert
09-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I noticed that some procedurals offer a texture axis of "3d". Not sure why all procedurals wouldn't offer this option. Only seems to make sense.