PDA

View Full Version : Acrobat Pro Extended & Lightwave

Nigel Baker
09-17-2010, 03:46 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone been able to use Lightwave3D and Acrobat 9 Extended to use 3D models.
If so what versions where you using and what steps did you take to get your model into Acrobat 3D.
Did it work using a LW Scene file or did you have to export a collada file or other format or only from LW Modeler?
Any and all help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Nigel

lwaddict
09-17-2010, 07:19 AM
What exactly are you trying to do?

I've seen a lot of apps used together to get the job done but this one might be a little new to some of us.

Got both programs here and willing to help though...
fire when ready.

pilF
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I think Nigel refers to acrobats 9 ability to show 3d object (previews?), and to some extent animate 3d objects.

lwaddict
09-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I got that it had to be something more than bringing in still shots, be there are a lot of different ways to bring things into Acrobat.

Here, most just use it like it was the 30 dollar 'save as pdf' program and never so much as glance at all the training materials we've got for the full package.

Guilty here too, but I've watched a couple vids and read a lot of the manual and damn if you can't do just about anything and embed it into an Acrobat file if you put some energy into it.

Just wanted to know exactly what he/she was after so I could make sure and start looking in the right direction. :hey:

pilF
09-17-2010, 08:43 AM
same here lwaddict treating it as a 30 euro app, no make that 60, i do use it for video/print approval and commenting.

Nigel Baker
09-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello All,

I wanted to bring in a Lightwave Scene file into Acrobat.
No joy *then tried a lwo file and it did not work either.
I am reduced to using a exported .obj file from LW 10 (version 2016) and placing it into the PDF. It works as a solid model but with lots of lines.
The Collada (dae) files crashes out LW on final export all the time.

I thought initially that Acrobat Pro9 Extended was capable of reading native lws scene files and lwo files.

Looking for that PDF file that shows what Pro 9 Extended can import or export. Of course the help files has no indication of this fact.

I am not looking for any animation ability.
Just want to bring in a large city scape and be able to measure off it and such. and the ability to knock on and off certain layers of information.

Thanks for the posting.

Kind Regards,
Nigel

Silkrooster
09-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't recall it having lightwave importers. But you should be able to import the lwo through photoshop and export that as a pdf. I think. I know AE will accept photoshop's 3d objects.
It may be worth your while to contact Newtek and see if they have any plans on making a lwo imported for acrobat like they did for photoshop. Whether they give you an answer or not it another issue.
I was hoping LW would get a pdf exporter that would solve a lot of issues.
BTW I don't have version 9 yet so much of the above is guess work.

Dexter2999
09-17-2010, 10:59 PM
I don't recall it having lightwave importers. But you should be able to import the lwo through photoshop and export that as a pdf. I think. I know AE will accept photoshop's 3d objects.
It may be worth your while to contact Newtek and see if they have any plans on making a lwo imported for acrobat like they did for photoshop. Whether they give you an answer or not it another issue.
I was hoping LW would get a pdf exporter that would solve a lot of issues.
BTW I don't have version 9 yet so much of the above is guess work.

I kinda thought the same thing when I read the subject line.
The straight forward approach would seem to be
LW-> Rendition
Rendition ->Photoshop
Photoshop -> Acrobat

Dexter2999
09-18-2010, 12:51 AM
double post...no idea how it happened this far apart

sculptactive
09-18-2010, 05:05 AM
The straight forward approach would seem to be
LW-> Rendition
Rendition ->Photoshop
Photoshop -> Acrobat

Yes that is the way I have managed to to it.

Going the direct route in Acrobat... Create PDF/From File/
There is no lwo option, so selecting another format like .obj file only imports the object, not the surface textures.

Silkrooster
09-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes that is the way I have managed to to it.

Going the direct route in Acrobat... Create PDF/From File/
There is no lwo option, so selecting another format like .obj file only imports the object, not the surface textures.

Are you using the latest version of lightwave? Version 9.something corrected the texture bug for the obj file exporter. Before that version lightwave did not save the mtl file.

sculptactive
09-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Are you using the latest version of lightwave? Version 9.something corrected the texture bug for the obj file exporter. Before that version lightwave did not save the mtl file.

I am running LW 9.6.

If I export as OBJ file and then reload back into LW all textures etc, are there.

Unless I am missing a setting step in Acrobat?
In the 3D conversion settings/Import tab, the surface, wireframes, solids etc are ticked to import.

Silkrooster
09-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Until I upgrade your guess is better than mine.

sculptactive
09-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Also I have now used Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration to convert the LWO file to u3D.

I believe Toolkit was in fact a chopped-down version of Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration anyway.