PDA

View Full Version : Any Plugin Lists out there?

GandB
09-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting a new Rig soon (for those that didn't see the thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112198)), and the plugins I have are scattered all over my hard drive. Does anyone know of any consolidated lists (or threads) of useful plugins for Modeler and/or Layout (9.6 here)? If not; would you mind listing (links if possible; if not, just the name will do) any and all plugins that you've found invaluable over the years? I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Perhaps this will also help others who are on the lookout as well. If it helps; I'll be dealing primarily with Low-Poly (game-ready) objects, though plugins meant for high-poly objects would also be helpful.

These can be free and/or commercial. Thanks!

-Keith

wesleycorgi
09-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Have you already checked the plug dbs: http://www.lwplugindb.com/ and http://www.flay.com ?

Silkrooster
09-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be getting a new Rig soon (for those that didn't see the thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112198)), and the plugins I have are scattered all over my hard drive. Does anyone know of any consolidated lists (or threads) of useful plugins for Modeler and/or Layout (9.6 here)? If not; would you mind listing (links if possible; if not, just the name will do) any and all plugins that you've found invaluable over the years? I'd greatly appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Perhaps this will also help others who are on the lookout as well. If it helps; I'll be dealing primarily with Low-Poly (game-ready) objects, though plugins meant for high-poly objects would also be helpful.

These can be free and/or commercial. Thanks!

-Keith

Why are they scattered all of your drive? Put all of them into a single folder preferably away for lightwave install folder. Then you don't have to worry about installing them for the next version just point lightwave to that folder. Besides it makes it easy to back them up.
Yep flay.com is the place to go.

I should also note that there is a small list on my wiki, but I am sure it is getting out dated by now. If others would just stop by once in awhile. :cryonshoulder:

nickdigital
09-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I think there have been threads where people have asked what the must-have plug-ins are. Try to do a search and see if you can find that thread. (I tried but just typing in plug-in returns too many for me to sift through.)

PLG UV would be one to get since you probably need to do a lot of UV work.

After that it'll depend on what you specifically need to do.

GandB
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Why are they scattered all of your drive?

Well, what can I say...I've been extremely unorganized over the last 5 years. :D

I'll check that one out on UVing...though I do use Ultimate Unwrap for most of that. Thanks for the help so far guys!

wesleycorgi
09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Why are they scattered all of your drive? Put all of them into a single folder preferably away for lightwave install folder.

Concur. I started doing this after Splinegod suggested this in one of his tutes. Since I may switch from my laptop to desktop, it makes plugs more transportable. Splinegod also recommended separating out 3rd party plugs so you can isolate if you need to from the native LW plugins.

GandB
09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
It's a good point; and I do plan on being way more organized this time around! Probably should; things can get really lost in a 1.5TB Hard Drive! ;)

nickdigital
09-17-2010, 05:40 AM
I also find it helpful to document where I d/l a plug-in from. Not every plug-in comes with a manual and after awhile it's easy to forget what a plug-in does if it doesn't become part of your daily workflow.

JeffrySG
09-17-2010, 07:16 AM
I also find it helpful to document where I d/l a plug-in from. Not every plug-in comes with a manual and after awhile it's easy to forget what a plug-in does if it doesn't become part of your daily workflow.

Yep, that's a great idea. Sometimes if I remember I'll put the plugin in a folder with a bookmark that I saved from Firefox to the page where I downloaded it and some info on it hopefully.

GandB
09-17-2010, 09:16 AM
That is great advice. May be a good idea to burn them all to a disk, after compiling most of what I'd need; with the helpful docs and links you spoke of. ;)

nickdigital
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
If you wanna be super organized you could copy/paste the text from the site into a doc or offline the page.

It does suck when you go to revisit the page to read the manual and find out the site has gone offline.

This is where having a Newtek plug-in store similar to iTunes would be nice.

wesleycorgi
09-17-2010, 10:31 AM
This is where having a Newtek plug-in store similar to iTunes would be nice.

Amen. Per my comments and others in the HC threads, this would be a killer feature for LW.

How about a plug-in that is just a plug-in database (maybe data is RSS fed from flay and lwplugindb)? I love to script but never jumped into Lscript.

GandB
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Good point Nick; I may as well go the whole way with it.

Sensei
09-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Check out TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu

It contains few interesting any game object modeling artist tools
EasySplit, EasySpline, EasyRetopology, EasyMesh, SwiftEdgeLoop, Push and others. For every tool there are videos showing them in action, to help you visualize what they do.

ShowWeights will help you during making weight maps for character bones and rigging.

After building complete object in LW, you should bake procedural textures, and node trees to real image, because it's the only thing game engine can understand. This can be done with BatchBakingCamera, which works with hundred objects and uvs at once, unlike built-in LW SurfaceBakingCamera, saving you many hours or days, depending how many you have objects to bake.

jeric_synergy
09-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, what can I say...I've been extremely unorganized over the last 5 years. :D

FWIW, I keep my plugins in the default directory, but in two custom directories:

Layout-ThirdParty
Modeler-ThirdParty

Inside that, I keep them separate by their maker's names. This makes it easy to keep their dox organized, in the same drawer.

(I have special circumstances that prevents me from using one convenient external directory, which would probably be a BETTER method for most people.)

Plugin organization is a real challenge.

GandB
09-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks Sensei; I'll definitely check those out. I'll have to set aside a bit of money, when I get re-settled in the new comp, and renewing my skills; I can select some good commercial plugins (or maybe donate to the makers of the free ones).

Jeric: Yep; I'll come up with a decent file system, but I have given some thought to later purchasing an external HD...for storage of graphic files and downloaded apps/plugs.

erikals
09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
some previews,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU6YcmFlBk&feature=PlayList&p=D495DCA5001810EB&index=0&playnext=1

Triodin
09-17-2010, 03:51 PM
some previews,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BU6YcmFlBk&feature=PlayList&p=D495DCA5001810EB&index=0&playnext=1

Best p/review ever!

"it really just does what it says"

erikals
09-17-2010, 03:59 PM
haha, i will use that one more often :]