PDA

View Full Version : Slider controls - basics

Algae998
09-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey all,

Ive never used slider controls on any of my rigs before and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to learn about them. I know what they do and how to bring up a slider, but I dont know how to link properties of my rig to them. For example, I have eyelids of a character that a linear morph cannot smoothly go around (and want to avoid using a 2-stage morph), so I want to use bones to rotate the eyelid around the eyeball and use a slider to control all the bones for Blinking controls. Im not very familiar with expressions so any tips, articles, books, videos, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nickdigital
09-16-2010, 10:58 PM
For your eyelids you could tie the rotation value of your eye bones to a null and then drive the rotation of that null via a slider. I believe you can only tie one channel to a slider so you can't assign both eye bones to the one slider.

Or you could tie the rotation of one bone to the slider and put follower or an expression on your other eyelid bone to follow the other bone.

Sliders are handy but they do have their limitations gui wise. You won't see when you keyframed your slider unless you open up the graph editor. You won't see ticks in the timeline and that can be a problem if you start laying down a lot of keyframes and need to adjust timing.

RebelHill
09-17-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah... you'd just look up the bones rotation channel in the item list in the slider setup panel, add the channel, and enter min and max values...

But as Nick said... Id avoid using sliders for actual controls, as its not a particularly neat interface, and the sliders are better suited to work as switches for certain thigns, to turn controls on and off, or similar.

nickdigital
09-17-2010, 05:45 AM
The other problem too is that if you're controlling something directly with a slider it won't render properly over LWSN. If you're controlling something an animation that's tied to an object that is then tied to a slider then it'll render fine. LWSN will still complain that it can't start the sliders plug-in but your animation will still render.

Instead of sliders you could tie your controls to objects. Check our Rebel's rigging tutorials to see how he sets up his face controls. With that setup you're just keying objects like you normally would. This way you can still step through your keyframes and use the dopesheet without having to be in the Graph Editor.

jeric_synergy
09-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Some people prefer the MorphMixer UI to the sliders, and create a "fake morph" (one point) to get access to a MM slider.

Then they tie THAT to {whatever} using Expressions.

Algae998
09-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the help and suggestions, Ill look more into them. I think Ive decided to try and use a morph if I can get away with it and if its necessary, have an in between morph.

jeric_synergy
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
The other problem too is that if you're controlling something directly with a slider it won't render properly over LWSN. If you're controlling something an animation that's tied to an object that is then tied to a slider then it'll render fine. LWSN will still complain that it can't start the sliders plug-in but your animation will still render.
??? If sliders don't work in LWSN, why does the control object respond to slider control??

I'm confyewzd.

nickdigital
09-20-2010, 01:49 PM
I think the slider control is just an interface to control the object. So your object will have actual keys on it.

I know, it's screwy. It doesn't help that my nodes say all my frames fail when the frames are actually fine. It's just LWSN reporting a plug-in failure.

nickdigital
09-21-2010, 11:31 AM

Instead of sliders you could tie your controls to objects. Check our Rebel's rigging tutorials to see how he sets up his face controls. With that setup you're just keying objects like you normally would. This way you can still step through your keyframes and use the dopesheet without having to be in the Graph Editor.

I must have set something up wrong when I was using sliders before because linking a channel directly to a slider looks to be rendering properly over the farm now.

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread to just ask this question but does anyone know how to refresh a slider when it displays incorrectly?

I am using Rhiggit for our character and the sliders are fine in the rigged scene but after loading from scene the slider displays with names missing.

Just to note, this has nothing to do with Rhiggit, I have seen this happen with rigs I have done using sliders before.

I have attached 2 images of different scenes but of the same slider

anyway help will be appreciated.

I hate the openGL sliders, here is the thread where I posted a source code by Martin. It seems to be a morph-like UI alternative to the openGL sliders.

http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113756&highlight=sliders

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 01:54 PM
What happens if you toggle on/off the slider entry on the object that it's applied to?

Or toggle between the openGL options in the Display Options?

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey nick,

thanks for the reply, I tried those thinking it should refresh it but had no luck.

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Hm, I can't replicate your problem on my end.

Is there a reason why the BG is green in your 2nd image?

You don't have green text on top of a green BG do you?

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 02:12 PM
nah, the text is all black. The image is green because there is a live action plate loaded into the BG.

Yea, I can't always replicate the problem. It isn't always because of Load from scene, but I have had it happen before. It's almost a random thing.

Basically what you see in the first image should be what you see in the 2nd image (slider colour and text wise)

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Hm...does it randomly happen when you're dealing with a BG plate?

I find my BG plate won't always show up so I have to toggle the GL options in the display settings to get things to show up properly.

Graphics card drivers up to date?

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 02:54 PM
yup, checked it just to make sure it is up to date.

I just did a couple tests. Loaded from scene then added the plate in....the slider displays correctly. Then I added the plate in and then loaded from scene and the slider displays incorrectly. There was also a situation when our animation director loaded from scene into another scene that already had objects in it and the sliders displayed incorrectly too. I am trying to replicate it now and lightwave would just hang.

evenflcw
12-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Try zooming, changing gridsize or playing with the clip distance... and I don't mean small increments! The text is there but it is probably being clipped out of view. All the 2d is still being projected in 3d on the near plane (as near as possible) and very likely fell on the wrong side of the clip distance. Perhaps there is a bit of floating point precision error mixed in there aswell.

Either that or there is a bug in native Sliders. Less likely.

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
oh, I was able to replicate the last one that was crashing. It displays incorrectly. It seems it displays incorrectly when there is objects loaded in before the rig.

Hey evenflcw. I just tried what you said and it doesn't really change anything, except go all whacky when you zoom out which is well known.

So are you say that it is less likely that it is a bug?

evenflcw
12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Hmmm... if it's not the "go all whacky" thing, then I don't know. Forget all likelihoods stated (by me).

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 03:39 PM
hehe, I would try any suggestions...so it's all good.

problem is that there is a workaround (*rant* which in my opinion is really bugging me....lately, workarounds seem more and more like the only options in LW *rant*), but is not ideal as I have already setup a few scenes.

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 03:44 PM
oh, I was able to replicate the last one that was crashing. It displays incorrectly. It seems it displays incorrectly when there is objects loaded in before the rig.

If you can replicate the problem you should fogbuz it. This way the dev team can fix it.

TeZzy
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
never done fogbuz before, but will look into it. First I will try to replicate it as simple as I can from scratch to make sure that I know others can replicate it as well.