PDA

View Full Version : Split lots of faces virtically at once

Dreamcube017
09-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Hi guys.

This is kind of hard to explain but I'll try.. I also have an image to help.

I'm making a building and I set out the basic window shapes, but now I want to select the windows all at once, and split them virtically.

Right now there's just one long window on each floor, I want to devide this up into about five smaller windows... kinda like this.

The windows start out like this

[-----------------------}

I want them to be like this.

[----|----|----|----]

Now for one that's not that hard... but this thing has a good ammount of floors and I'd like to just be able to highlight all the window faces on each side and then use some tool to do this.

The closest one I found was Cut, but it needs edges, not faces. Selecting each edge takes a LONG time and loop selecting doesn't seem to be working.

Here's the image so you can see what I'm working with.

All the blue parts are the windows.

Kuzey
09-16-2010, 05:31 AM
You could use bandsaw to split the windows and walls at the same time??

If you don't want to split the walls...run bandsaw on a copy of your model and swap out the windows afterwards.

Kuzey

probiner
09-16-2010, 05:37 AM
(See attachtment)
If i'm understanding right you got layer 1 and you want layer 3.

My advice would be to fix a sample like in layer 2 and then #Array it up (Ctrl+Y).

It's one of those things that it's easier if done again than fixed i think.

Cheers

R.Feeney
09-16-2010, 05:43 AM
julienne could be the tool you are looking for.

Dreamcube017
09-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Hm thanks for the quick replies. Bandsaw would help but it cutes everything... but then Probiner mentioned layers. I could just take the windows and move them to a different layer and use bandsaw taht way and the walls won't get touched, right?

So then I could just keep things like that and finish the rest of the building.

Trulsi
09-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Yep, you could also, as someone here mentioned, use the julienne tool twice, once for the north/south windows and once for the east/west windows. Make sure they are on their own layer and that it is the only active layer, or just select them by surface from the statistics panel (w key to open). Selecting by surface is very nice.

erikals
09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
maybe realtime julienne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPvJw-Iq3No
download here
http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#juliennert