PDA

View Full Version : New Yacht

sidewing
09-19-2003, 11:02 PM
This yacht has never been made yet. The client is Mulder Design. The renders will be used for posters and other marketing material on a tradeshow in Monaco.

John
www.virtuegraphics.com

sidewing
09-19-2003, 11:02 PM
next image

sidewing
09-19-2003, 11:03 PM
no 3

sidewing
09-19-2003, 11:04 PM
last

cathuria
09-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Wow -- swoopy. This one is a little too self-consciously stylized for my personal taste, but the modeling job is terrific.

The #3 image threw me a bit; it just doesn't look like the boat is connected to the water for some reason. Perhaps I'm also expecting to see a wake or at least hull ripples. Whenever one sees beauty shots of a yacht, they're always in motion -- I think a wake effect would add a lot to these pictures.

Wade
09-20-2003, 11:37 PM
I want one. ;)

seventh
09-20-2003, 11:39 PM
Wow ! Great modeling and render. Materals look really good. I agree about #2 and #3 needing a wake of sorts to give it a "motion-feel". The only other thing I see that may help is the water itself. Not the texture but I think it could use a displacement map. You can see the little waves, and you would know that there would be highs and lows, but looking at #3, you can see that it is perfectly flat against the "goldish striping" at the bottom of the boat were it meets the water. That is why it may look like its not naturally set. Just toss a dis map and send it to the LW gallery!:D Great stuff!

sidewing
09-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Thanks for your nice replies!

I totally agree with the need for a displacement.
Honestly, I didn't have the time to do so because they needed the renders "yesterday". The water is 1 single poly to speed up rendering.

I will work on some real water soon and post it soon.

Thanks,

John

veljko
09-21-2003, 02:36 AM
excellent images-
Is it a prbolem if i ask how much did you charge for this boat?

No need to answer if its a confidiental matter...

thanx

dzogchen
09-21-2003, 07:24 AM
Awesome! Would be nice if there are some pple on board.;)

fxnut
09-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Really nice modelling and rendering :) I really like your style for this - I can see it's exactly what's required for the sort of work you do.

A couple of ideas though. You're missing the caustic reflections from the water back onto the boat, and for me it would really add a huge amount of realism to the render if they were added in (I guess it'd probably be easiest and fastest to do it as a seperate render and composite it). The other thing is that you've got quite a ripply water surface and yet the interface between the water and the boat's hull is a perfectly straight line. Again, probably easiest just to Photoshop this in, but it'd definitely help to place the boat 'in' the water.

robpauza
09-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Incredible stuff as usual.

I know you said the water right now is just a single poly, but any tips on your usual process for creating animated water? I've seen it in the past, and it looks great.

-Rob

Hervé
09-21-2003, 11:45 PM
cool to tell you "Extraordinaire" as /....... usual, really beautiful work, John.... my father is in Monaco right now.....

Later Hervé

sidewing
09-22-2003, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the nice compliments!

fxnut: Good idea about the caustic. Indeed, it should be changed. Also the water line will definately be revamped.

Robpauza: Nice to get a compliment from a texturing guru like you (read your tutorial).
For animated wated I normally use (ofcourse) bumpmaps and displacement maps.
For the bump maps I use are:
1 big Turbulent,
1 medium coriolis and
1 (small) crumple.

To make the maps look more random I use a little trick... Above every map I put another map and use it as a "subtract" channel. The once I use are:
1. Hetero Terrain
2. Cyclone
3. Turbulent
This way, every map - with its own properties - becomes more random and alive (when you make those second bump maps also animated.

For displacement I go suddle...
I use my favorite Coriolis subtracted by a Cyclone. The coriolis I make most of the time on the axis looking away from the camera smaller to give the illution of depth.

Also, what really helps is when you let every bump map and displacement map falloff when you go further away from the camera (use alpha or subtract on distance to camera with gradient map).

It's a little work but it seems to do the trick. I'm still not 100 percent happy thought.

Please note: All the above has NOTHING to do with the images above. I used a plane because of time issues.

Herve: Is your dad associated with a company that has to do with yachts? Perhaps he will see the 2 companies there that we work for... Quantum Controls and Mulder Design.

Thanks again! I promise I will update the water and caustics soon... First a vacation to Florida though...

John

Hervé
09-22-2003, 02:22 AM
Hey John, not exactly... exceptme, my entire family is doing school boat teaching for boat licenses... that's why he's there.... I'll tell him the Co's you work for...

kenmac
09-22-2003, 03:42 PM
Hey John,
Wow!!!Great job....I'll give you a call soon once things slow up around here.
KenMac

robpauza
09-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Wow! Thanks a ton John.

I'm finally getting back to my shark project and the water is frustrating me. (I'm anything but a procedural texture expert.) I'll play around with the ideas you've given me.

Texturing guru, huh? Thanks, but YOU da man. :)

I really appreciate you taking time to explain your water surfacing. I just wish I could give you a better critique, but it's pretty much perfect. Have a great vacation.

-Rob