PDA

View Full Version : Architecture: My house

otacon
09-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Hello my fellow lightwavers! Here is a project i just finished up...i wanted to see if i could model my house using no blueprints...just an occasional look from the front yard:D Comments would be very appreciated!

robpauza
09-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Very nice. Judging by the low angle of the light source, it appears to be early morning or sundown. I'd love to see how it looks with a little bit warmer colored light. (in the yellow to yellow-orange range)

The grass looks a bit too uniform, but other than that it's pretty much flawless. I especially love the lighting on the porch.

Great work,
-Rob

robpauza
09-19-2003, 10:42 PM
Also I just noticed...

Are the bricks just a little too big? I'm looking at them in relation to the size of the basketball.

Love those details. The hose is great. :)
-Rob

cathuria
09-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Great job!
My comments would be:

The grass does look funky; detracts from the image. I'd say it needs to be completely redone.

The bushes in front are excellent, however. How did you do those?

The little details really help make the picture -- but they also contrast with the simplicity of some of the textures. I'm thinking particularly of the driveway -- is your driveway really that clean?:eek:

Overall, 'though, it's really good work.

Wade
09-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Nice.

richpr
09-21-2003, 01:22 AM
Very nice indeed... (one of those projects one has to do, I guess together with a nice LW car... nice in the drive way) ;)

I like the roof...

The grass and the tree next to the garage could use a bit more...

Any stats? Polygons/res/settings/render times?

veljko
09-21-2003, 02:14 AM
cool house-
i live in a apartament building, not as fun to modell im afraid:)

I have to agree with the folks on the grass bit- I think you should put some variations on the lenght and some jilter on the placement..

the lightening is excelent

otacon
09-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the feedback! The grass seems to be the biggest complaint, and i agree that it doesnt look right, thats one of the things i rushed to get done, along with the driveway texturing.

The scene has a total of about 750,000 polys, the lighting was fairly simple to set up...its just GI with one spotlight acting as the sun....but the render times were VERY long.:( Although i guess its worth it to get a good looking render. I did a little bit of adjusting in ps, mainly desaturating the colors just a tad and making the pic a little more yellowish in color. Im actually thinking about modeling a few more houses on our block and maybe make a big scene of the whole street......maybe someday i'll get around to it.:p

ravantra
09-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Very nice....

One comment as stated earlier the brick size is just a tad large. I counted 30 brick courses. 3 brick courses = 8" high so the total height of the brick would make the wall 6.67 ft tall. It would probably be more on the order of 8 ft tall or 36 brick courses tall.

I really like the lighting.

Petrik
12-04-2003, 07:23 PM
Where's the tutorial for this house?

What I'd really be interested in knowing is how you did the weatherboards and also getting them to go up into that A shape of the roof.

colkai
12-05-2003, 04:34 AM
I can say how I would have done them.
There is an example of weatherboarding in Dan Ablans Inside LW6, though really you are just creating a beveled box, rotating it slightly, then cloning with an appropriate offset on the Y axis. You could even get away with killing the back polys as they won't be seen.

The 'A' frame is easy, just put the roof line in the background, line up the boardings, knife at the required angle, then delete the extra unwanted sections outside the 'A'. Just make sure your knife terminates within the bounds of the wooden down beams of the roof line so the ends are hidden.

colkai
12-05-2003, 04:44 AM
Just threw this together using the method described above ..

otacon
12-05-2003, 09:37 AM
Thats exactly how i did them.

peteb
12-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Also I'd say considering the light and the plant basket are a bit of a distance from the garage door the shadow wouldn't be so dark. Still looks really good though but just add a few levels of dirt and grime to it all, unless of course your house really is that clean :)

Petrik
12-05-2003, 01:30 PM
Great. Thanks for that. I'll have a crack at it. Also like the way you've got the roof in your example with a bit of thickness to it. Was that a smooth shift?

I noticed from another post that the Inside LW6 book has a tutorial in it with this look. I already have Inside LW7 and a few other books so don't really want to get yet another, but I might see if I can track one down through the local library.

You never know. I might do my house one day. First project I'll be needing this method for is a short film we're doing.

Thanks again.

Wade
12-07-2003, 01:08 PM
As for shiplap sidding a bump map will work wonders!

Wade
12-07-2003, 01:28 PM
and another view. It works well when you do not have the corners ending in sidding but rather a trim board.. Trim is often used on the corners - so life is good.

Hervé
12-09-2003, 01:15 AM
hey Wade, there is a problem with yur bump map method, in dark areas it completly disappeared, or does that supposed to look like that.... ?

Nice house Otacon, I'll made mine a long ago.... but it was so much work as I did not have any blue prints either, but for 3 floors.....

Cheers all
Hervé

Wade
12-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Herve,

If you have but one light source that would be true but take a look at the lower post I have a litte up lighting that shows the edge of the sidding. I have built houses modeling every brick and length of sidding but not anymore. Bump maps work and work well 90% of the time or better. At least for me.

otacon
12-09-2003, 03:00 PM
Bump maps do work good, and i use them a lot. But since this was just for fun, and had no deadline, i decided to model all the siding for added realism.

Petrik
12-09-2003, 03:11 PM
Wade,

Any chance of seeing a short Tutorial on your bump mapping technique?

Hervé
12-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Ok Wade I see your point... well, being a hobbyman, I never have deadlines, so I guess for me it's not a problem....

Wade
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
Otacon, how did you do those curtains they are quiet good.

Petrik, I should it would be more of a photoshop lesson thou and someone would have to check my spelling:eek: I could have done it tonight but hit that old Serious Sam red station fragmatch for two hours:eek: :eek: :eek:

Petrik
12-10-2003, 12:19 AM
I'm sure the spelling won't be a problem. I'll get photoshop warmed up.

otacon
12-10-2003, 11:49 AM
For the curtains i just made a spline in the top view, made it kind of wavy like curtains are,extruded it down, and hit tab.

Ade
04-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Otacon looks great, nice and warm!

can I ask how do u do the grass?

otacon
04-19-2004, 12:03 AM
Its been a while, but i think i made a one sided rectangle shaped poly, and cloned it in a big line....then cloned that into a square shape, then used some jitter. I then made the polys double sided. Looking back, i should have used sasquatch.

Jace-BeOS
04-22-2004, 07:30 AM
Great work :) I'm impressed and I hope to manage this kind of realism myself some time... ;)