PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush vs Lightwave

simonlion
09-14-2010, 12:54 AM
I have never used ZBrush. What is it, and what are the things you can do that Lightwave can not do.
Thanks
simon

Iain
09-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Is your Google broke or something?:D

zbrush is a sculpting app that offers a level of flexibility, accuracy and intuitive workflow that traditional modellers can't match.

Plus, it has great painting tools, UV options etc, etc.

OnlineRender
09-14-2010, 01:09 AM

zbrush is a sculpting app that offers a level of flexibility, accuracy and intuitive workflow that traditional modellers can't match.

Iain use this next time :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Zbrush+Lightwave

:D

on subject , ZB4 is so sexy and lightbox /shadow box is very intuitive ,but generally most modellers , build in Lightwave " that way you get low proxy poly model which can have normal and displacment maps added " then you paint and build your detail . . nobody mention MUDbox these days ..
if your looking for a sculpting app for cheap have a gander at 3DC

sculptactive
09-14-2010, 01:17 AM
You should view ZB/3DC as the perfect plugin for your LW work flow.

if your looking for a sculpting app for cheap have a gander at 3DC

I do not see 3DC as a cheap alternative. If you add up all the free upgrades I have had since I bought ZB it is cheaper than 3DC. The reason someone should look at 3DC is that in many ways it is better than ZB.

probiner
09-14-2010, 01:22 AM
The reason someone should look at 3DC is that in many ways it is better than ZB.

I agree with you, i also got my thoughts on this, but if you could put over the table areas with given tasks, where 3Dcoat is nice/nicer and the contrary; where Zbrush is nice/nicer.

Cheers

Iain
09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Iain use this next time :

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Zbrush+Lightwave

:D

Hah-I must save that! :D

Dreamcube017
09-14-2010, 02:03 AM
Hm, you can't really compare Zbrush to Lightwave... that's kinda like saying "what's better, a car, or this really cool sound system for the car?" or better yet.... "What's better, Cubase [a music creation software] or Vienna Symphonic Orchestra (a very advanced orchestral sound synthesizer))"

I'd say between Zbrush and 3D Coat, I find I like Zbrush a bit more, but 3D Coat has some nice things Zbrush doesn't... and is cheaper upfront.

I myself use sculptris and Blender because I'm too cheap to pay for either... :P

sculptactive
09-14-2010, 02:36 AM
I have never used ZBrush. What is it, and what are the things you can do that Lightwave can not do.
Thanks
simon

One of the most important reasons for having ZB/3DC is that they can create Normal/Displacement Maps which LW cannot do.

gordonrobb
09-14-2010, 02:39 AM
Zbrush is primarily an artists tool. It can be used in isolation where you can create stuff from nothing, and sculpt it into shape, and detail it up to millions of polygons. Or you can take meshes created in another 3d app (like Lightwave) and detail it. This detail can then be turned into a displacement map for example and put back on the mesh in LW. Unless you are primarily interested in organics, and high detail and have a more artistic bent, I would not think of it as an alternative to LW.

OnlineRender
09-14-2010, 02:50 AM
I myself use sculptris and Blender because I'm too cheap to pay for either... :P

DrPetter is at pixologic now , I dont know what there doing with sculptris if anything .

npix
09-14-2010, 03:21 AM

No offence, but I would rather people not use Google and keep using the forum for asking questions, I have learnt a lot from questions asked here that I would not have thought of asking.

Dreamcube017
09-14-2010, 11:52 AM
I konw scultpris is owned by pixologic now so I hope they don't start charging my soul for it. What's awesome about Sculptris is that it has dynamic subdevision. That means that you can take a sphere with about 100 polygons, paint a lot of detail in one area, and just THAT area will subdevide WHILE you sculpt, but the other parts will continue to be lowpoly and untouched. This may mess up the UV mappin a little bit, but the times when Sculptris doesn't crash, it does a pretty nice job. That's why I like using it. Also, it's UI is pretty simple and straight forward where ZBrush's is kind of confusing from first starting.

speismonqui
09-14-2010, 12:05 PM
No offence, but I would rather people not use Google and keep using the forum for asking questions, I have learnt a lot from questions asked here that I would not have thought of asking.

I would say, go with google, youtube, 3D websites, etc... find/read/do/learn all you can (sometimes is more than enough), if youre still unclear... then come to the forums where we'll all be very pleased to help you get things done. :thumbsup:

Dreamcube017
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I agree. Google has helped me many times. It's even led me to this forum a few times to posts discussing the vey thing I was looking up... plus you'll find the answers faster that way.

OnlineRender
09-14-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree. Google has helped me many times. It's even led me to this forum a few times

Thought you had too use Google to search the forums by default? :devil:

What's awesome about Sculptris is that it has dynamic subdevision.

Look at 3DC then!

Dreamcube017
09-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Does that have it too? I don't think it did. You have to subdevide the entire thing... yes it has that topology thing, but this does it automatically as you sculpt.

And I've played with 3DCoat. 3D Coat does have PTex though which can be imported to lightwave so that's awesome.

mikala
09-14-2010, 10:04 PM
How is PTex implemented in Lightwave?

sculptactive
09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
How is PTex implemented in Lightwave?

Export your Ptex from 3DC. Load in LW and you are good to go.

Apart from Displacement Maps which you have to manually set up, everything else is set up automatically.

geothefaust
09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Does that have it too? I don't think it did. You have to subdevide the entire thing... yes it has that topology thing, but this does it automatically as you sculpt.

And I've played with 3DCoat. 3D Coat does have PTex though which can be imported to lightwave so that's awesome.

Not at the moment, but it will likely at some point.

The auto-retopology and manual retopology tools really don't have much to do with how the sculpting functions, only in that once you've completed a sculpt you can create a mesh for it that is workable in other applications.

jasonwestmas
09-15-2010, 07:40 AM
One of the most important reasons for having ZB/3DC is that they can create Normal/Displacement Maps which LW cannot do.

LW can create Normal Maps using Dpont's normal cast node. . . which is great if you need a projection method of creating normal maps and all you have available is Lightwave.

behestelah
09-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Does anyone know what the improvements are on Sculptris Alpha 5 vs Sculptris Alpha 3.

Dreamcube017
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Uh... not sure, Sculptris Alpha 5 is the same as Sculptris version 1 point something. I don't even recall Alpha 3. Sorry.

sculptactive
09-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Well as 3DC 3.5 has just been released I would recommend checking it out.

jasonwestmas
09-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Now that last 3DC voxel primitives video makes me want to use Voxel Sculpting. Never had an urge to do so until I saw this. Looks like an awesome way to do mechanical modeling! I just wonder how well it translates to polygons/ displacements etc.

http://www.3d-coat.com/3d-coat-35/

simonlion
09-17-2010, 01:09 AM

I agree, I look at this Forum like a Family, and I think It's better to ask questions from this Forum rather going to Googel.
That is why we have this Forum.
Simon

Dreamcube017
09-17-2010, 01:22 AM
So let's say a question was asked ten times in ten different posts... but they were all pushed to page 2... so instead of searching on google and findthing this forum with one of those posts, I go and post again about the exact same thing...

Using google will lead you back here sooner or later.

I've navigated away from this page many times before to search for things, just to end up right back at this forum.

npix
09-17-2010, 02:41 AM
So let's say a question was asked ten times in ten different posts... but they were all pushed to page 2... so instead of searching on google and findthing this forum with one of those posts, I go and post again about the exact same thing...

Using google will lead you back here sooner or later.

I've navigated away from this page many times before to search for things, just to end up right back at this forum.

Before asking a question, normally I would use the forum search which usually get's a good result, if not I then ask on the forum and

someone will either answer it or give a link to what I'm looking for, a great service by a great community!

But the best thing about using the forum search is other people seeing what's being asked, so say I wanted to make tutorials or plug-ins etc

(I don't I'm a still learning myself) I would get a good idea where people needed some help,

Google is a good tool but the way I look at it is when a Lightwave/3d question is asked on on Google it's lost in cyberspace, the only people

that get to know what's being asked is Google...

jasonwestmas
09-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Google and Bing work the best.

Dreamcube017
09-18-2010, 04:21 AM
Agreed.

The forum search is good, but I'd rather not bother with putting in all those different attributes to get the search done.