PDA

View Full Version : Displaying more than 8 lights in layout?

Ryan Roye
09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Is this possible? If I have a large sized scene with many lights, I have no way of knowing how my scene looks without rendering in an ambient sense after placing 8 lights in my scene. I work with low polygon models and non-rendering performance isn't really an issue for me.

It seems kind of clumsy to have to render frames repeatedly to see what I'm doing.

nickdigital
09-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I can't remember if this is in the options settings but this is in the config file.

LayoutViewLights 8

Try changing "8" to a higher number and see if that helps.

Ryan Roye
09-14-2010, 07:30 AM
I can't remember if this is in the options settings but this is in the config file.

LayoutViewLights 8

Try changing "8" to a higher number and see if that helps.

EDIT: I found the file, its in the C:\documents and settings\user folder with the name of LW9.cfg

trying this solution, the max # of lights is still displayed and defaulted as 8

Ryan Roye
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
To clarify, you can edit this in EDIT>OPENGL OPTIONS>MAX OPENGL LIGHTS, but entering a value above 8 just makes it snap back to 8 after pressing enter or switching tabs.

Ryan Roye
09-14-2010, 09:33 PM
With a little more research I found the solution:

You must set the SHADING METHOD to GLSL in order to get more than 8 lights in layout preview.

I also discovered that procedural textures actually show up with this texture option, sweet!

Greenlaw
09-15-2010, 11:01 AM
You probably know this, but you can switch selected lights off from OpenGL, which frees up OpenGL lights for the ones you actually need to see in OpenGL. It's extremely rare (maybe never) that I need to see more than 8 lights in GL if I can choose which ones will be active.

If I absolutely need to see more, it's time to hit F9 or use FPrime.

G.

P.S., If you only need to see what you're working on, and don't really need to see an approximation of the scene lighting in GL, remember that you have the camera Headlight available. Hope this helps.

Ryan Roye
09-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Hope this helps.

It certainly did! Considering the fact that the preview in GLSL for lighting is far more similar to what the actual render will look like. Yeah, its a little slower, but setting up exact lighting for my scenes is going to be so much easier now that I just might talk about how much of a headsmacker this is for me on my developer's diary video documentary.

The things you miss when you don't know in these 3d programs :rolleyes:

Ryan Roye
10-10-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't mean to resurrect a dead thread, but anyone know how you can select which lights are active and which are not for a faster GLSL preview?

wrench
10-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Open up your Scene Editor, go to the Properties tab and Select Light Flags and select which ones you want to affect OpenGL.

B

Ryan Roye
10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks a bunch Wrench, I got it now.

Greenlaw
10-10-2010, 10:11 PM
As an alternative to using the Spreadsheet, I think you can do this from the Light Properties panel too. Just select all the lights except the ones you want GL enabled, and switch the option in the panel off. You can quickly select all the lights using the small Object List panel for Lights.

FYI, many (but not all) of the options can be switched on or off for multiple selections from the Properties panel for that object type.