PDA

View Full Version : Help !!!!

JohnMarchant
09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
All of a sudden LW 9.6, LW 9.6.1 and LW HC/10 have stopped working, just crash on start. Both hubs will start and also Core works.

Ive cleared out all third party plugins and deleted all config files to no avail. Ive re installed both from fresh still do not work. Ive back tracked on graphics drivers to one that i knew worked but still naddah.

Firstly does anyone have any suggestions, and secondly does anyone know where the LW Error log is saved to cant find it anywhere.

Thanks allot everyone.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Geforce GTX 260, 8 Gb DDR2 Ram, Core 2 Quad 2.66

JohnMarchant
09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Anyone :):):)

SonicN2O
09-13-2010, 08:06 PM
call tech support. ask for garcia and tell him that someone he knows too well recommended his help. That'll make his day. :-)

JonW
09-13-2010, 08:13 PM
I really only bought LW10/Core recently to clarify if LW10 will still be ok with XP because VIsta & Win7 are mentioned in the advertising but not XP. If it was not going to run on XP I was going to get another computer.

LW10 & Core do run on XP but they have appeared to stuff things up with 9.6. So I have been lazy & just used another computer.

I’m not a tech person so when I get the time I will clear out everything to do with LW & start again & install LW10 when they release a final version (not Beta).

Dodgy
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
That does sound very odd, if you completely uninstalled it and got rid of the configs, the only thing I can think is have a look through your registry and delete any newtek references in there as that's the only place anything bad can be getting stored.

Andy Webb
09-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Have you run ChkDsk on your C drive?

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi Andy no not yet, funny how you forget the old basics like FDisk, Scandisk and the like, ive been retracing my steps. They both worked about 2 weeks ago as i used them, but when i tried yesterday nothing, its strange because the hubs work and so does Core.

I will do as you suggest.

Thanks John

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Just ran it Andy and no problems reported, ive also ran a full virus check in case but still nothing

Danner
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
just a shot in the dark, have you seen your allowed programs on the firewall settings? Not familiar with win7 so I couln't tell you exactly where to look.

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes checked this, they are all allowed, its really got me stumped as everything else works fine

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
That does sound very odd, if you completely uninstalled it and got rid of the configs, the only thing I can think is have a look through your registry and delete any newtek references in there as that's the only place anything bad can be getting stored.

The registry is where i think the problem is, but not to familiar with it and if its corrupted dont know what else to do apart from a full re install and dont really want to do that

probiner
09-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Sorry for stepping in, but don't you have a image disk backup?
You probably have LW there, then you instal 10 and see if the same thing happens...
Good Luck

Andrewstopheles
09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
can u post a screenshot of the error/crash?

Andrewstopheles
09-14-2010, 01:44 PM
also check your event viewer for any useful information

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 02:04 PM
can u post a screenshot of the error/crash?

Dont get anything, sometimes i get a pop up that says modeler has crashed, but most times you click the icon then you get the hourglass figure for 2 to 5 seconds then nothing.

JohnMarchant
09-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Sorry for stepping in, but don't you have a image disk backup?
You probably have LW there, then you instal 10 and see if the same thing happens...
Good Luck

Yeah wish i had. Core works fine as does the Hub on both if i run it. But layout and modeler on 9.6.1 and 10 just crash straight away.

Anyone know where the lightwave error log is stored, im sure there is one.

JamesCurtis
09-14-2010, 09:03 PM
When i installed LWHC 10 2016 I had a problem with the Hub not responding, and would crash out Layout HC. What I found I needed to do was launch LW 9.6 and after that I had no more problems with crashes on start.

Maybe your problem is similar to this!

Sensei
09-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Did you try running without hub? -0 parameter IIRC..

Also try -c to redirect config directory (make new location), just in case..

If you rename Plugins directory, LW should run without it, at least Modeler.
Then look at file date modification, maybe some virus appended something to executable files? But not quite correctly, and LW crashes..

JohnMarchant
09-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Did you try running without hub? -0 parameter IIRC..

Also try -c to redirect config directory (make new location), just in case..

If you rename Plugins directory, LW should run without it, at least Modeler.
Then look at file date modification, maybe some virus appended something to executable files? But not quite correctly, and LW crashes..

Hi Sensai, yeah i always run with out the hub and my configs are re directed. Im having all sorts of funky problems all i can think is my Reg file is corrupted in some way, looks like my only option is going to be re install and im not looking forward to that.

Regards John

Quick question off topic mate. I have brought several of your plugins, where do i go to find out if there are any updates to them.

Andy Webb
09-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Hi John,

Have you tried starting LW from the exe rather than through a short cut.

If it starts ok, then the problem would be your short cut.

If you do reinstall Win 7, I can recommend O&O software Drive Image, I do a drive backup once a month, it's worth it for these situations.

By the way I have nothing to do with O&O but I have a number of their programs and they have proved to be very good.

I'm sorry that's not much good to you at the moment :(

JohnMarchant
09-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Andy some help is always better than no help.

Ive tried the exe files and just the same. Not tried O&O Drive Image will give it a shot when im back up and running, need to back up a few things first. Problem is i have 6 Hard drives all 1 tb so have to sort out and re arrange things before i do.

Regards John

Andy Webb
09-15-2010, 05:37 AM
There is a Register Cleaner which if your at the point of reinstalling Windows is worth a try.

I have used it a few times but it's a concern that it will cock the registry up, it hasn't so far but I would not want to be responsible for making thing worse.

It's called RegistryBooster from a company called Uniblue, it works with Win 7 64 bit.

Personally I doubt it will help but as a last resort maybe worth the risk :(

Andy Webb
09-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Just one more thought, have you tried turning off Data Execution Prevention in Windows 7?

It's under "Performance Options", I've had a few problems with programmes not starting.

There is an option to turn off DEP which is what I have done and that solves programmes failing to start in most cases.

Myagi
09-15-2010, 05:43 AM
Dont get anything, sometimes i get a pop up that says modeler has crashed, but most times you click the icon then you get the hourglass figure for 2 to 5 seconds then nothing.

Do you on any occasion get the win7 app has crashed window? if you do click the view details thing which displays info on where the crash occurred (what module, stack, registers), it might give some additional clue.

JohnMarchant
09-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Do you on any occasion get the win7 app has crashed window? if you do click the view details thing which displays info on where the crash occurred (what module, stack, registers), it might give some additional clue.

Hi Myagi i wish i did all i get is crash pop up and telling me its closing down.

JohnMarchant
09-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Just one more thought, have you tried turning off Data Execution Prevention in Windows 7?

It's under "Performance Options", I've had a few problems with programmes not starting.

There is an option to turn off DEP which is what I have done and that solves programmes failing to start in most cases.

Hi Andy, yeah DEP is off, i always turn of UAC and DEP had to many problems in the past. Not tried Reg Booster yet, very wary of these types of things especially something for registry as it can seriously screw your system up

Myagi
09-15-2010, 06:39 AM
long shot, have you tried running lw in compatibility mode (everything from xp to vista, whatever there is), just to see if makes any difference.

JohnMarchant
09-15-2010, 06:42 AM
long shot, have you tried running lw in compatibility mode (everything from xp to vista, whatever there is), just to see if makes any difference.

Yeah ive tried all sorts of combinations of compatibility mode, used to work in Vista with Run as admin, its strange that Core and the Hubs all work just not Modeler and Layout for both, so it cant be execution prevention. Ive checked firewall all are let through ok

Myagi
09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
This a (boring) tech support kinda question, but usually stuff doesn't just stop working without anything else having changed. Do you have windows updates installing automatically or did you install anything at all between session the last time it worked and after (even if just some browser plugin or unrelated small thing or even changing a windows regional setting, anything)? Do anything that could have caught a virus/malware?

edit: allthough not likely to help, have you cleaned you temp dir? "<homedir>/AppData/Local/Temp", that could in theory also change the "state" between sessions, if an app (re-)uses a temp file in a bad way and it got corrupted.

LW_Will
09-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Also, use the System Restore to go back to two weeks ago, check that it still works, and then look at your system to see what has changed.

Will in IT... ;-)

JohnMarchant
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Well tried everything. Its seemed to be a dll that was the problem. Ive now re installed, LW Core and LW 9.6.1 Beta all work but LW 10 is a no go, error log says its lwcore.dll.

I dont have an installer package for LW 10, just the updates as the older ones have been removed. I wish all of these were posted on our NT page or at least have Installers for LW 10 not just copy over old ones