PDA

View Full Version : Real problems with Maya>LW pipeline

clagman
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I have a fellow here that is excellent at working with characters in maya (using 2010). We are trying to get the maya2lw script working but when I load the obj and apply the mdd to it the geometry gets scrambled. Not sure what to make of it. He has tried exporting the obj and using the script to export just the mdd, nothing seems to make any difference. Have tried both the build in MDscan and the Dennis node version.

The geometry does the same thing when converted to a native LW object and then the mdd applied. You can see the basic motion working but looks like the point order is completely messed up. Can anybody tell by looking at this image what I'm doing incorrectly?

Red_Oddity
09-13-2010, 02:02 PM
What happens if you export an obj from LW to Maya, then use a wrap deformer on the imported obj, so the original animated object deforms the imported obj, and then export the vertex data as MDD from the imported mesh.

The vertex order should be the same now.

clagman
09-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Not ideal to back and forth but we do what we have too I guess. It looks like Maya obj exporter is the culprit so we tried collada and the dae file worked perfectly.

I probably should have tried everything before posting and wasting your time. Thanks though, that technique could come in handy for sending animated pre vis stuff to Maya for use as proxy objects.

RebelHill
09-13-2010, 03:09 PM
its your vertex order thats getting scrambled out of maya. i suspect that mayas obj exporter is delivering a different point order on the object than the point order expressed in the MDD.

Hows about trying the FBX route, send the whole scene out of maya as an FBX, and the vertex cache (MDD) as a maya cache file... use denis' new updated MDD node to load that, and attatch it to the object as it comes into layout from the FBX importer.

perhaps.

edit... oops nope, you got it working... ignore me.

clagman
09-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks anyway Reb. By the way FBX seems to strip the UV assignment away, are you able to get this working?