PDA

View Full Version : layout subdivides objects on load

janrogowski
09-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi everyone!

I have a very frustrating problem. It seems that the default behaviour for LW layout is to subdivide a subpatch surface to level 3 on-load. This is done regardless of whether the subdivision data is actually required in the scene - ie what subdivision level the object is set to. Once the scene is loaded this extra data is purged in the 'preparing objects' phase of scene construction.

I've checked this with subpatch and CC surfaces and LW does the same thing. I must be missing something here. Surely there is a way to tell LW not to subdivide those objects on-load it doesn't need to?! We constantly run into memory problems with complex scenes with lots of objects that only require one level of subdivision. They would render fine but for the fact that LW over subdivides meshes on load.

Anyone else found this a problem or figured out a solution?

RebelHill
09-13-2010, 11:14 AM
well, this is just how it is... ive never considered it a problem... but if you wanted a work around, you could add a null, set its subdivision level to whatever (even though yes, i know its not an sds, you can still do it)... then use replace with object to bring in your object and it would inherit that setting.

nickdigital
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Edit your config file. You should find entries for:

DefaultDisplayLevel 3
DefaultRenderLevel 3

Change the number(s) to whatever you want and that'll be your new default.

4dartist
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow! Nice info nick. I never knew that was there. It would be cool to have a different setting for CC and Subpatches because CC is usually much more dense per level number. But I guess you can have CC and subpatches in the same layer, so that wouldn't work. Anyways seems like a great tip.

probiner
09-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Indeed. Great tip.
*Setting it to 1 and to 3 =)

Eroneouse
09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I have been looking for this mythical config file in my lightwave folders but cannot find it at all :( can anyone post the directory path to it please :)

RebelHill
09-13-2010, 11:49 AM
sweet tip nick, that beats mine into touch.

4dartist
09-13-2010, 11:56 AM
Eroneouse if you are on a Mac it's located in:
HD>Users>username>Library>Preferences>
unless you created a 'preferences' folder in your Lightwave 3D, app folder. Then then would be located in there.

If you are on a PC, i have no idea.

Eroneouse
09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Eroneouse if you are on a Mac it's located in:
HD>Users>username>Library>Preferences>
unless you created a 'preferences' folder in your Lightwave 3D, app folder. Then then would be located in there.

If you are on a PC, i have no idea.

I am on a PC but thanks for the effort all the same :)

nickdigital
09-13-2010, 01:14 PM
It's probably in your Documents and Settings folder.

Do a file search for ".cfg".

FYI you can specify where you want to write your config file by editing your shortcut path. Add -c and the path to the folder. This is helpful when you're testing/running various versions of LW.

Eroneouse
09-13-2010, 05:24 PM
telling search to look for cfg instead of config as I was returned 12 cfg files for lightwave, non of which windows can open but thanks for the pointer :)

Cageman
09-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Nice tip Nick!

Thanks!

:)

UnCommonGrafx
09-13-2010, 05:44 PM
telling search to look for cfg instead of config as I was returned 12 cfg files for lightwave, non of which windows can open but thanks for the pointer :)

Open them with notepad.
If they are REAL lw*cfg files, notepad is king.

Dodgy
09-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Now there's something I never knew! Thanks Nick!

nickdigital
09-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Glad this is proving to be so helpful to everyone! :thumbsup:

It's actually kinda neat to go through the cfg and see what you can modify so your default scenes are how you want.

For example I modified the default resolution so it's not always 640x480 on start up.

probiner
09-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Yup thats nice too to know too...
Ahh the cfg, will be great bed reading =D (with notes and all)

janrogowski
09-14-2010, 02:16 AM
nick. i could kiss you. ;D

K-Dawg
09-14-2010, 04:39 AM
I knew LW has so many things that can be setted with the config files, but this is just one great tip.

Thx NickDigital :)

Lewis
10-18-2010, 01:15 PM
For example I modified the default resolution so it's not always 640x480 on start up.

Isn't it easier to go to "prefs/Defaults" and change "Default Frame Size" within GUI/interface to anything you like :D?

nickdigital
10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Isn't it easier to go to "prefs/Defaults" and change "Default Frame Size" within GUI/interface to anything you like :D?

Yes, I think it wasn't only until recently that I noticed I could do that. :D

Lewis
10-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Yes, I think it wasn't only until recently that I noticed I could do that. :D

Oh yes I know that feeling :).