PDA

View Full Version : Joint properties question

lertola2
09-13-2010, 04:47 AM
I want to add a weight map to a new bone that I have added to a rig I created with Rebilhill's RHiggit plugin. However the bone properties for this new bone does not have the weight map option. Most of the other bones in the rig lack this option as well. Any help would be appreciated.

-Joe

evenflcw
09-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Joints don't deform, bones do, apparently. This atleast seems to have been NTs rationale, or something like it. So joints are split into the round gizmo which is the item part which your supposed to animate motion properties on (position, rotation, scale?) and then bone gizmo which is the deformer part. You can select either part by clicking on them. It can be a bit wonky at times, mind you. But when you have the bone part selected you can edit all the usual bone properties.

lertola2
09-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Thanks evenflow,

I did not understand that until now. I had a very difficult time selecting the bone part of this joint after I saw your reply. Clicking on it either selected the ball part or some other control. It took me several dozen clicks before the bone part finally became selected. Oddly there does not seem to be any way to distinguish the ball part and the bone part from each other in the scene editor.

-Joe

RebelHill
09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I think the only thing ive ever done different, is to set my bone/joint display down smaller than default. And with that Ive never really had any problems selecting the deformer part instead of the joint part... apart of course from the ever familiar problem of having things overlapped in viewport, and so the wrong thing getting selected.

Its also worth noting, that once you've selected the deformer piece of one joint, then selecting any other joint, either via scene editor, or shematic, etc, will select the deformer portion straight away.