PDA

View Full Version : Model q: Classic cartoon turtle shell??

jeric_synergy
09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Classic cartoon turtle shell

I'm trying to model the classic cartoon turtle shelll with the little lip that runs all the way around the edge of the upper half.

Surprisingly difficult. Anybody got some guidance?

tnx!

nickdigital
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
You could start with a sphere and smooth shift out the middle band of polygons. From there modify your object to get the shape you want.

JeffrySG
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
For this I started with a half of a sphere and then just used bevel on the bottom after I turned it into a poly. see pics.

probiner
09-13-2010, 04:35 PM
jeric_synergy any reference pics for what you trying to model?

Cheers

jeric_synergy
09-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Just some sketches:

Dexter2999
09-13-2010, 11:26 PM
Splines.

probiner
09-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Hi Jeric
Got to love these threads that make you think, "what if it was me doing this?".

i thought about it and from the top of my head it would be like Jeffry did or with patches.

The one on the left is with patches (i suck at it so it's not great example), you make splines drawing the edge of the shell with the holes and all, some splines doing the shell volume, and a clone of the edge displaced down and scaled up a bit to make the lip area.
I think this technique gives more control maybe, but it can be tedious.

The one in the right is more like Jeffry did; you make a sphere, shape it at taste. Delete some polys for the holes. Extended the outter edge so now you have a clean loop going along the edge, Smooth stuff, and now you can bevel the loop like Jeffry shows, with Muiltishift or so.

jeric_synergy
09-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Using the spline patch technique, I got this halfshell. (Modeler, then a render.)

The lip is a combination of CUT, some tweeking, then SMOOTH SHIFT.

Thank God for SmoothShift, since it does what IMO Multi-bevel should do. OTOH, you can get a pretty good "tortoise pattern" by selecting groups of polys and MultiBeveling them out.

probiner
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
AAAhh you want to make the shells bevels and all.. that's why i asked for reference... Ahh wacky job :D
Good Luck

Edit:
Not realistic or cartoon, but might give some ideas: Hexagon net, Spherize and Bevel.

jeric_synergy
09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
"Hexagon net"??? What is this sorcery?

EDIT: oh, and the problem w/Multi-shift is that it seems to take the average Normal of ALL the selected polys, which in these types of cases doesn't work at all.

gordonp
09-19-2010, 08:10 PM
I think you can adjust the way the polygons shift in Multi-shift's numeric panel.
Such as use local, average, or contour normals.

jeric_synergy
09-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Yep: I had "Shift Poly Normal Average" instead of "Contour" on. Looks like Contour would have worked.

Lots of permutations in that tool.

Now to find out what "Contour 2" is.......

Thanks!