PDA

View Full Version : making clothes, cityscape

LightRock
09-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Hi Guys,

How does one go about making clothes for avatars? Cityscapes? I want a character walking down a city street. Any plugins to use/buy to avoid having to spend a lot of time modeling? Any tutorials?

Is there a way to search this forum by words or topics?

Thanks.

Dreamcube017
09-13-2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah, the search thing at the top can help you with searching.

Hm, I thought I saw a tutorial somewhere... but what I would imagine you'd do is model the clothes off the avatar themselves... so you'd take the geometry of like... the torso or something and modify it to be more clothing like and less... torso like... Ok I'm sorry that was a horrible way to explain it.

What I would do is use a sculpting program like Zbrush (if you can afford it, I can't) or Sculptris (free, until Pixologic starts charging for it) and import the part of the model you want to make the clothing for... the torso for example, then sculpt and smooth it out so it looks less like the actual body and more like clothing. Then you can paint on it and things... Sculptris will try to autoUV map it and it normally does a decent job. There's no symetry right now though.

If you goog Sculptris, it'll come right up. Once done, you can import the model back into LW and put it ontop of the person... like they're wearing clothes. I think you have to parent it to the bone system... or... something, I get lost when it comes to rigging a bit... sorry.

But I hope that helps.

extrabyte
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Eki's Citygen plugin is very nice and should do well to make quick work of creating a city. You have control over how many buildings and features.

Dreamcube017
09-13-2010, 12:18 PM
I agree. Not only that, but the buildings even have separated shaders so all you have to do is go straight into Layout and get into all those fun shaders. ...

Hm, a building with windows made out of bacon... yeah,, it could happen.

extrabyte
09-13-2010, 12:23 PM
+1

LightRock
09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys. I will check them out.

dwburman
09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
You could also look into the stuff over at www.daz3d.com you might have to do some work to get their models into Lightwave, but they have human models and lots of clothing for cheap or free.

Dreamcube017
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree... for the DAZ human characters, they have an exporter for FBX that lets you take the model with the bones and all... but that costs some money. (70 I think if you are willing to pay)

makeHuman is anotehr one, but you have to create the clothing yourself... and the hair in some cases.

LightRock
09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I get emails from DAZ frequently. Never really thought about them until now. This is a good time to check them out. I probably will start with some free ones or cheap ones and use them to practice animation in LW or Messiah Studio.

I checked out Marlin Studios. The prices are not bad. Dosch Design seems to have better quality stuff with higher prices to match. It is good to know their existance.