PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Graphic / Arrow Effect

Sigma Six
09-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I am producing a sports highlight project and am trying to create a flashing arrow on the player of interest. I am doing this by using the HoldStill filter video effect and then overlaying the arrow which is a .png file.

My approach to create the flashing effect is to make the arrow clip shorter than the HoldStill clip. I am positioning the arrow where needed and then saving. I then cut and paste the arrow clip onto the timeline providing a short space between each clip. While I get the flashing effect, the arrow on all of the pasted clips moves back to a centered position rather than remaining where I positioned it on the initial arrow clip!?

Any suggestion on how I cut and paste the arrow clip keeping the arrow in the custom position needed? Re-positioning every arrow clip is time consuming.

Is there a better/easier way to get the flashing effect?

Thanks.

Shabazzy
09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Hi,

Although I would have taken an entirely different approach to yours, I think if I was in your position, I'd make use of the Control Tree's spline controls for 'Layer Fading>Alpha'.

I'd position the Arrow image as needed, then make the arrow clip's duration as long as the hold still filter's. Then, for the flashing effect on the Arrow, I'd set keyframes on the spline control for 'Layer Fading>Alpha' at the relevant points, that switched between full opacity to full transparency.

This way, once the flashing effect was done, I could copy and paste the clip over other clips knowing that the flashing effect was already in place and thereby focusing my attention solely on the positioning of the arrow for the new clip shot.

Hope that helps

Shabazzy

Sigma Six
09-13-2010, 06:04 PM
This approach worked great. Thank you!

If you want to share the "entirely different approach" it would be great to know for future projects.

Either way, thank you for the great help.

Shabazzy
09-13-2010, 10:47 PM
This approach worked great. Thank you!

If you want to share the "entirely different approach" it would be great to know for future projects.

Either way, thank you for the great help.

Hi Six,

Glad you found the info useful.

Yeah, my approach is more to do with the creation of the arrow graphic. I would have placed a 'Title Page' in the 'Storyboard/Timeline' and used the 'Filled Polygon' drawing tool within the 'Draw' tab of the Control Tree to create the Arrow.

Why?

Well, for a number of reasons:

1. Any graphics created here will always have VERY smooth edges and look professional (creative expertise permitting).

2. They can be scaled up or down, rotated, zoomed in and out, without losing that professional smooth edge (the technical term is anti-aliased - forgive me if you already know that). Bitmap images can't in all instances. Especially when it comes to scaling up.

3. They can have 'styles' added to them using the 'Styles' Tab to give them different appearances. Again Bitmaps can't.

4. They can easily be recoloured using the 'Color' (Gawed 'elp us. When will you Americans learn to spell?) tab. Yup, you guessed it. Bitmaps can't.

5. It can vastly reduce the strain on your system's resources, especially since bitmap images can take up a lot of disk space and memory (depending on the image ofcourse).

All in all, these tools allow a lot more creative flexibility.:thumbsup:

There's 1001 things you could do to the graphic using the Control Tree to make it all the more interesting if you explore it deeply enough.

I just wish it was better implemented in some areas.:cursin:

Happy hunting.

Shabazzy