PDA

View Full Version : Need help creating somewhat simple animation

Tony R
09-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Last year, I was nearly killed in an auto accident when I got into the left lane on the ride home from work and the girl that I got in front of didnt like that so she gunned it and went around me on the left on the grass median, began to pass me and turned her wheel hard right into me as she cut me off to get back onto the road. I swirved to the right after she hit me and that caused me to hit a 2nd car and then I lost control and swirved back and forth and back and forth until my car turned sideways and flipped onto it's driver's side and landed that way with the bottom of the car facing traffic. It was pretty crazy.

ANyway, after a year, I decided I may sue this girl for my permanant medical damages and I want to create an animation of what happened. It shouldnt be too difficult but I am a real novice at LW. I would like to have a view from above, like a traffic helicopter would have. I would like to have a two lane highway that shows the grass median on the left and basically, it would be a looped segment with the road lines going from top to bottom of the screen, which would simulate movement. I would need a a bunch of generic vehicles from overhead.

Are there any models like this available in LW or even anywhere else that I can access to use for the animation? I dont have the money to pay someone to do this so, either I attempt this myself or I use what is already out there. The entire thing should last less than a minute. Also, is that highway scene available anywhere? THanks for any of your help and sorry for the long winded story.

Silkrooster
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I believe there are a few members on here that do court cases. Therefore they would have more knowledge than myself on what you need to do.

Saying that, this is what I would do. Forget the high end graphics, as they don't matter for a sky view of the road. Just use the box tool to create the road, the cars and circle for tree's etc. Make sure you label everything.

Now if you need to show the side view of what happened then thats another matter and 3d will be your friend.

The sky view is really a 2d world so you can use lightwave, illustrator, photoshop, flash, etc. 3 out of 4 of these apps can do animations, so use what you have. What you can do though is create a simple animation and post it you may get more feed back on what to do and ideas that may help out.

Good luck...

jeric_synergy
09-11-2010, 10:38 PM
There's no need to SIMULATE movement in the virtual environment, and in fact may be harder than just straight ahead animating it rather realistically.

Keeping it simple: Assuming a straight piece of road, the concrete is just a box, and so is the grass. The lines on the road are flat rectangles of apprpriate length. Use CLONE to repeat, and play with OFFSET to get the correct spacing.

If you must render out a repeating animation, put the pattern on the inside of a cylinder, and rotate the cylinder around the camera. Render out to frames.

The problem w/a rendered loop is when you want to slow down and "stop", you're screwed. Just make the road, it's easier.

BTW, talk to your lawyer b4 you even start this: s/he may counsel you if it would be worth the effort.

Tony R
09-12-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of using something like flash. I just thought of LW because I did something a few years ago and it had some pre made models that I used.
I dont know if I NEED a loop but I do need a repeating pattern of lines to move down the screen. It really cannot be static because the accident took about 20 seconds and lasted up to 1/4 mile since we were all driving 50mph or so.

The animation will be of use because there were three witness statements (the girl who caused this, the car I hit as a result and someone who was driving behind the girl who hit me. They did not take my statement when they realized that I was going to the hospital. All of the statements are so different from the other, that it sounds like three different accidents. This will help clarify what I know happened.

dwburman
09-12-2010, 11:56 AM
One thing you can do with LW than you might consider is that you can put cameras in the different vehicles to see what the accident might have looked like from their perspective. You might not want to take those animations to court, but it could help in developing your case. Of course, the animation will be the representation of your memory so there are limitations.

Lightwave has come with car models in the past so if you have the DVDs you can look on them or download the content from registration.

You can do an internet search for free models. I googled "free car model for lightwave" (without quotes) and found one site (http://www.carbodydesign.com/download/3d-models/?pageNum_RsResources=1) that linked to models on another site (http://dmi.chez-alice.fr/models0.html) which appears to have lightwave conversions of models on another site (http://www.planit3d.com/source/meshes_files/vehicles01.htm). LW can open .obj and .3ds objects (though you may need to clean them up a bit) so you should be able to find plenty of free car objects to use. Since you're using this for non-commercial, non-photo-real work, you should be able to find what you need.

Happy hunting!
:) (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+car+model+for+lightwave)

Silkrooster
09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of using something like flash. I just thought of LW because I did something a few years ago and it had some pre made models that I used.
I dont know if I NEED a loop but I do need a repeating pattern of lines to move down the screen. It really cannot be static because the accident took about 20 seconds and lasted up to 1/4 mile since we were all driving 50mph or so.

The animation will be of use because there were three witness statements (the girl who caused this, the car I hit as a result and someone who was driving behind the girl who hit me. They did not take my statement when they realized that I was going to the hospital. All of the statements are so different from the other, that it sounds like three different accidents. This will help clarify what I know happened.

Dana makes a good point. Don't allow your self to believe what you show the court will be held as gospel by the courts. It will only show them a version of what had happened and thats the way they will look at it just a version.
Also any object or images you use make sure that they are copyright free or you had created them. The court won't think twice about nailing you for copyright theft.
In the end the courts want witnesses that can corroborate your story.

jeric_synergy
09-12-2010, 11:51 PM

I'm just saying: you're not limited to a cel-animation stand, you can just build the entire scene at scale. No need for looping tricks, just make the entire scene you need.

This will actually help you because you can measure the elements of the scenario accurately.

And: witnesses suck. A police report based on forensic evidence, not testimony, is a far better basis for your animation than 'eyewitness testimony', as it sounds you have learned.

JonW
09-13-2010, 02:33 AM
I've been on a jury for a 10 day court case. It was a good an interesting experience & I was lucky to have a good bunch of jurors and the case didn’t have blood & guts.

It was interesting what jurors thought was or wasn’t important. If you want to go technical with 3d, it should be done by a third party with a company who will technically get it perfect, & every level of data used is accompanied by documentation. It can be just block figures but it must be right. The defence may (will) pick it to pieces & then the whole thing will back fire.

It may also be beyond what a jury can comprehend anyway so most won’t give this part serious consideration.

History and good documentation. Good statements from all witnesses will be your best bet.

A 3d view is just another “witness” & it can have a different view to the accident as the real witnesses.

Whether a judge or jury it can be very strange how they see things, they probably think we are pretty strange how we can have difficulties with their point of view.