PDA

View Full Version : assigning surface color

lreyes
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Lately I have been having trouble with using the "Q" surface color. When I name surface color on some objects in Modeler on objects I made in the first layer then I create something else on a different layer and bring it in layout after saving my objects, I only get some surfaces and not all. I think it has something to do with default on the surface color window. would it be best to name all the colors on objects I made when I finish doing all my layers? I am confussed on the default aspect of the surface window?

Sensei
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Default toggle means that the all later made polygons/geometry will use that surface name.

Color of surface you should set in Surface Editor.

lreyes
09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
So your saying is if the toggle default is on for a polygon, the next polygon will have the same color assigned from the previous polygon? I want each polys to have different colors.

Sensei
09-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Pretty much yes.

If you want to change surface for some polygons, just select them, and press 'q', and enter unique name.

If no polygons is selected, entire layer will be changed to use what you set in 'q' window.

lreyes
09-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I forgot to mention that for each name/color assign to my polygons the default button was on, so when I went to layout all the color assigments were there. Maybe something so simple is hard to grasp

Sensei
09-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Default toggle doesn't really matter, if you don't make polygons after every 'q' pressing. What's important is selecting polygons.

Try this- make box. Drop tool. Then select top polygon, press 'q' enter "Top", and so the same with rest polygons, naming them appropriately. Then open Surface Editor and change settings in every surface.

lreyes
09-10-2010, 05:54 PM
OH, I see said the blind man...so if I make a arm polygon and want to have different colors in the same arm, I would not have default on, but If I want the whole arm to have the same color, default does not matter, default can stay on!

dwburman
09-10-2010, 06:29 PM
When you use the 'q' key to change the surface (give certain polys a surface name) and you have the 'Make Default' box checked then any new geometry will be made with that surface instead of being made with the surface named 'Default'

When you make a new surface LW will start out using the settings from the default surface. If you leave 'Make Default' checked then every new surface will start out with the settings of the last surface you made.

It's quite possible to have a bunch of surfaces named differently that look exactly the same because their settings (color, diffuse, etc) are all the same.

Think about those paint by number pictures that are out there. The pictures have numbers where the different color paints go. You paint red in all the sections labeled '1', blue in the sections labeled '2' etc. Naming the surfaces in modeler is like assigning numbers to the parts of the model. The painting comes later, though you can start the painting process in Change Surface panel by setting the color, diffuse, etc.

Sorry if you already understand all that. :)

I normally ignore the Make Default checkbox and just leave it on.