PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple solution

Andy Webb
09-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I have a difficult problem and wondering if there's a simple solution.

I need to place some odd shaped objects in a bowl and wondered if there was a simple way to do this.

I could do it all by hand but I doubt it would look right and it would be very time consuming.

This is only for a still image, using particles is the only route I can think of, I just don't want to get into endless experimenting and coping with bouncing objects etc. They need to just drop in and stay in, I can then save out transformed and I would be done.

Any quick set ups for this or any other suggestions?

Many thanks

DBMiller
09-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I you are a Core member why not try bullet dynamics? Can you just drop them into a bowl that way? Make all the masses equal (got that from a Blender tut), get rid of any bounce and run the sim.

Andy Webb
09-10-2010, 09:17 AM
I you are a Core member why not try bullet dynamics? Can you just drop them into a bowl that way? Make all the masses equal (got that from a Blender tut), get rid of any bounce and run the sim.

Yes I could give that a go.

Just hope this doesn't lead to hours of messing around, that's my worry.

Cheers

oliversimonnet
09-10-2010, 10:40 AM
i have never tryed what i am about to say and cant testing with my computer getting fixed
but went over it in my head
what about hard effects?

Andy Webb
09-10-2010, 11:23 AM
well I'm looking at hard effects but I have not got much idea how to use it.

I don't think I explained quite enough what I was hoping for.

Imagine a load of plastic bottles falling into a big container. Just not bouncing around so much.

Can that be done in Hard Effects? Any tutorials to get me started?

Thanks

oliversimonnet
09-10-2010, 11:42 AM
here you go
on this page scroll down and under dynamiks look at "Modeling a bowl of cereal with a little help from HardFX"
http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/24hours_training.php

Andy Webb
09-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for that will have a look.

Was searching all over for some tutorials, just couldn't find them!

Cheers

oliversimonnet
09-10-2010, 11:51 AM
no problem pal
i am sure that tutorial is what you are looking for :)

Andy Webb
09-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Well I sort of succeeded in getting almost what I wanted with Hard Effects but a lot of messing around.

Some serious problems too.

While I could get my objects to fall into a bowl, the bowl was in one place and the objects in another, I couldn't find anyway to get the two in the same place.

There were other problems too but for what I needed it's sort of worked, I wouldn't have wanted to do an animation using Hard Effects that's for sure.

oliversimonnet
09-13-2010, 06:52 AM
aa cool
mm i duno about thos problems
i will have a look into it as soon as i get my PC sorted out if you like
ye thats rite its STIL!!! not sorted out haha
well glad you managed to get almost what you wanted :)