PDA

View Full Version : Tim and Wes invade NewTek (pix)

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2003, 11:26 AM
Wes Beckwith and Tim Albee invaded the offices yesterday and today and I snapped a few photos....

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2003, 11:27 AM
Karen, Wes, TimPaul, and John hang out at the wall of hands....

WilliamVaughan
09-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Tim and Wes...two wild and crazy guys....

hrgiger
09-20-2003, 08:23 AM
Ok, I know who Tim is, who's Wes?

WilliamVaughan
09-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Wes Beckwith is from Wordware publishing where they are creating over 10 LW books at the moment....and he's a great guy!

Tim and I are headed to the ALamo in about 2 hours...so if ur in San Antonio hook up with us and Lunch is on me!

WizCraker
09-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Proton,

So what you are saying is if we are in the vicinity of San Antonio we could just drop by Newtek.

dzogchen
09-22-2003, 03:09 AM
I have yet to see anyone taller than Proton....:D :p

battery555
09-22-2003, 09:25 AM
Now I see who is Tim Albee! he he... where are thier martian suit and space bazooka?

O just curious question Proton, if Tim going to do a dvd CA tutorial? i would want one if i can afford it.

Hey dzogchen, good to see singaporean here. i from singapore too.

SLAYER
09-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by proton
Wes Beckwith is from Wordware publishing where they are creating over 10 LW books at the moment....and he's a great guy!

Tim and I are headed to the ALamo in about 2 hours...so if ur in San Antonio hook up with us and Lunch is on me!

Over 10 LW books at the moment? For real?
Sweeeet!

WizCraker
09-23-2003, 12:38 AM
Lightwave will hopefully finally compete with Max, and Maya on the shelf at the bookstores.

MrWyatt
09-23-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by proton

Wow 10 LW books. Hopefully including titles like
1. How do I master Hypervoxels like a Pro
2. Lscript coding for dummies
3. Only five minutes till Deadline ( or: Where did that darn "Make Cool Button" go)

Any Hints on the subjects of the books Proton? Please.
:rolleyes:

kurv
09-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Well the ones I can talk about are...

1. LightWave 3D 8 Modeling: A Definitive Guide (Steve Warner)
2. LightWave 3D 8 Texturing (Leigh van der Byl)
3. CGI Filmmaking: The Creation of Ghost Warrior (Tim Albee)
4. Essential LightWave 3D 8: The Fastest Way to Master LightWave 3D (Tim Albee)
5. LightWave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation: From Concept to Animation (Jonny Gordon)
6. Advanced Lighting and Materials with Shaders (Kelly Dempski & Emmanuel Viale)
7. LightWave 3D 8 Applied (Jennifer Hachigian & David Jerrard)
8. Design First for 3D Animators (Geoffrey Kater)
9. LightWave 3D 8 Scripting for Artists (Emanuele Salvucci)
10. 12 Hot Women, Making a Short Film (Alan Chan & Patrik Beck)
11. LightWave 3D 8 Lighting (Nicholas Boughen)

We have one more coming soon that I can not talk about but it will be the best LW book ever done, I guarantee it!!!

So what do you think of our list, please give us some feedback. We are working hard to listen to you and produce books that help the LW community.

So what do you think, we actually have 12... :p

Wes -

WilliamVaughan
09-23-2003, 08:29 AM
I'll have alot to read soon :)

Thanx for helping the LW community with all these books....Wordware rocks!

Cobalt
09-23-2003, 10:43 AM
I really enjoyed the Lightwave 3D 7 Character Animation book by Albee. I hope these future Lightwave 8 Wordware books follow a similar format.

SLAYER
09-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Friggin' A!
I am waiting for #2 the most.

Leigh
09-23-2003, 01:10 PM
Wow, there are some titles there that I didn't even know about... :p

kurv
09-23-2003, 01:14 PM
We try to keep it on the "down low"... :)

Leigh
09-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I want to know about the lighting and shading one, Wes!! :D

anieves
09-23-2003, 01:30 PM
Hey Leigh, took you long enough to join the forums!
BTW the sades are super fly.:cool:

kurv
09-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Here ya go Leigh!!

Programmable GPUs provide the processing horsepower necessary to render realistic graphics in real time, but this has put a new burden on graphics programmers. It is no longer enough to build efficient polygon engines with simple lighting and textures. Programmers need to have an in-depth understanding of lights and surface properties at a theoretical level. Once they understand the theory, they need to be able to use the capabilities of the GPU to implement the theory in a practical and efficient manner. This book concentrates on both aspects of rendering.

I have to admit the new look is fabulous!!

anieves
09-23-2003, 01:39 PM
The making of 12 Hot Women?! My wife might have a slight problem with that one:D

kurv
09-23-2003, 01:59 PM
I have already heard that conversation anieves, if you would like my notes on what worked and what did not...I can send them.

Leigh
09-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Hey Wes, that shading book sounds totally COOL :D

Oh, and Anieves - I registered here when it started, but I'm so busy posting on CG Talk all the time that I am mostly a lurker over here!

facial deluxe
09-23-2003, 03:38 PM
Luv the look Leigh :cool:

I like Tim Albee, if I'm no wrong he's living in Alaska. I can't imagine cooler situation than beeing there in a house, cold outside (hey maybe some snow ! ), hot inside, machines on, and fire in the grate...:)

WizCraker
09-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Wow Leigh is pulchritudinous. =8-)

9, and 2 look good. The rest are just icing on the cake.

Wes,

Anything in the future for developers, not just the scripting? Specifically on the SDK.

edit :: changed smiley

MrWyatt
09-24-2003, 01:15 AM
Oh Boy , I´m pissed.
No money in my pockets, can barely make a living , missed the LW8 & DFX+ deal because of that and now twelve new Books in the making that I cannot afford.
:mad:

kurv
09-24-2003, 09:03 AM
facial deluxe - you are correct, he used to live in Hollywood and founded two studios, but now lives in a small cabin in Fairbanks Alaska.

WizCraker - Please be more specific on the SDK, what are your ideas..?

MrWyatt - I am planning on running some on going specials where you can get several of the books, maybe 6 at a 40% discount. We are working on coupons and such :)... I will keep the community informed...

Wes -

Hervé
09-25-2003, 12:39 AM
but.... but... dont be pissed, ... work and you'll make money...

WizCraker
09-25-2003, 10:33 AM
Wes,

Kind of like your DirectX series of books. Something like Lightwave 3D X SDK Exposed: An Introduction to Plugin Design, to get people started in the SDK and then follow up with an Advanced Plugin Programming with Lightwave 3D X SDK. The SDK can be used to make anything from a number guessing game to advanced Lighting, Textures, Hair, and what ever else pops into the developers head.

The Lightwave SDK does not exactly have the best documention. In compareison it is amaturish and lacks the basic information for new developers trying to make plugins for Lightwave. Granted there is the Yahoo Lightwave Group but it is not official and it makes searching for basic information more time wasted.

kurv
09-26-2003, 08:31 AM
WizCracker -

Hmm, I understand now...I will have to do some checking on this. One of the major issue with a book (as far as publishing it) is can I justify it in sales. With modeling, texturing, etc. I can justify it, but with plugin development...that may be a little thin.

What does the group think..?

Wes -

Titus
09-28-2003, 09:10 PM
> LightWave 3D 8 Scripting for Artists (Emanuele Salvucci)

Is good to know this book is on the way right now. I was starting to make contact with publishers to write a book very similar to this. As we all know the Lightwave scripting/SDK documentation is really bad, I'm sure this book will cover the hole left by NewTek.

amorano
11-23-2003, 11:53 AM
I think/feel a lot of people have it wrong.

The SDK documentation is not really lacking, it is the SDK that is lacking. The documentation and examples really are very good for what is in the SDK.

That is the sad part.

When/IF NT gets on the stick and fixes the actual SDK I am sure a lot of people will get the ease of use documentation they are seeking.

I have been using the SDK for just under three years now. It is geared for people who know C, and really, if you are a programmer by nature the docs have everything you need.

That said, for anything lacking, you can always poke us at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw-plugin/

since that is where most of the plugin guys hang. Even Ernie Wright will answer your questions, usually in detail, and consdering he is the guy who wrote the docs, you really can not get better than that.

erich
11-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Hey Wes, Thanks for sharing this info. I am reall y interested in the modeling and texturing books. Any hints as to when any of these titles might be available?

Thanks.

kurv
11-23-2003, 08:18 PM
erich, we are working very closely with NT on LW 8 and the books. We expect to have them out in:

Lighting in Jan/Feb

Texturing in April

Modeling in May

CGI filmmaking in Jan

and our 1001 Tips and Tricks book in Feb

badllarma
11-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by wordwarepub
WizCracker -

With modeling, texturing, etc. I can justify it, but with plugin development...that may be a little thin.

What does the group think..?

Wes -

Out of the books listed
I'll be buying Leigh's and would really be intrested in anything to do with plugin development etc.. as what WizCraker mentioned.
Which at present really in my opion needs addressing

ufo3d
12-22-2003, 11:20 AM
erich, we are working very closely with NT on LW 8 and the books. We expect to have them out in:

Lighting in Jan/Feb

and our 1001 Tips and Tricks book in Feb

how about
6. Advanced Lighting and Materials with Shaders (Kelly Dempski & Emmanuel Viale)

kurv
12-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ufo3d
how about

Those, we could tell you but then we would have to kill you :)

Ummm... Kelly and Emmanuel's I think in April 2004

E. Salvucci in May 2004

Thanks ufo3d!!

ufo3d
12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
kill me then:)
I hope SDK book will be also available in the future
cheers

kurv
12-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Lots of requests for that (SDK Book)...I am looking into it...

Paul_Boland
12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
5. LightWave 3D 8 Cartoon Character Creation: From Concept to Animation (Jonny Gordon)

Hi Wes.

I am very interested in this title. Can you give us more information please.

art
12-22-2003, 12:35 PM
I would also be interested in a SDK book. Perhaps for some seasoned programmeds having lots of code examples and SDK in the current form is enough, but occasional programmers like myself and perhaps even experienced programmers would certainly benefit from a more through explanation of how things work, why to do certain things this way or another etc.
Examples are very very useful, but I like also to have things explained on paper :)

I would surely buy a LW SDK book.

I can't wait for the upcoming books, especially the texturing one :)

kurv
12-22-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Paul_Boland
Hi Wes.

I am very interested in this title. Can you give us more information please.

Paul, I am setting up a site for this book now... We just got the CGI Film book out the door and got that site up...

www.wordware.com/cgifilm www.wordware.com/cgifilm (http://www.wordware.com/cgifilm)

DeltaF86
12-22-2003, 07:38 PM
Acck, I wish i would have visited Newtek more when they were in topeka...

Any WHY did I not go to the christmas party?!?!