PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 HDR Users

JohnMarchant
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Hi,

Wonder if anyone with an iPhone OS 4.1 can help me here. I have an iPhone 4, now with os 4.1 it now does HDR.

How good is the HDR quality, does it save in HDR format or jpg, if the latter how do i get it to HDR is it a simple case of opening in PS and re saving as HDR.

Anyone have experience in this area and any tips and tricks would be most welcome. The quality of the pictures i quite good.

3DGFXStudios
09-10-2010, 08:27 AM
You can't save HDR data in a jpg so it must be some kind of floating point file like .hdr or .exr. I don't know anything about the I phone unfortunately.

JohnMarchant
09-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks alot mate i didnt think you could, basically it takes it light from where you choose to focus on the screen, you take 3 or more then it combines them but i think the output is still not true HDR.

Weetos
09-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately, this is not HDR at all. it just does bracketting (three shots at three different exposure values) and then it gather the three images to make one 24bit depth, using an algorithm

This sometimes gives weird results though, some shots may look unnatural because of the way it works.

JohnMarchant
09-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah thats what i thought but it does make some nice shots shame cant use the HDR though

Skonk
09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
It's HDR in a Photography sense, NOT in a 3D rendering sense.

i.e it takes 3 exposures and then combines them to allow more detail to be visible while preventing clipping shadows and blowing highlights (good for shots such as a room interior with a bright window visible or landscapes with both sky and ground in shot).

Something photographers have been doing for some time manually in PS or various other software.

Really has no use for 3D related stuff tho.

JeffrySG
09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
It's tonemapping, not HDR. It might be combining the 3 images to create some type of higher bit depth image and then tonemapping them together. For example if you look at an HDR image on Flickr you're actually looking at an LDR photo that has been tonemapped from an HDR source file.

JohnMarchant
09-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Thanks guys dont know much about HDR, its a shame as the results on the iPhone 4 are impressive for a mobile phone and in conjunction with the Augmented reality built into the phone as well as GPS.

I must say i really like the phone, price tag is steep but cant fault the quality. And before someone asks, yes the signal does drop out but its not that bad and most people use a case or protector with it so its not an issue.

Now i just need LW on my iPhone and lots of training material. Blender has quite a few training videos on iPhone.

JeffrySG
09-12-2010, 12:17 PM
It's pretty easy to convert videos to play on the iphone using QT. I've resaved a bunch of the NT videos and some purchased tutorials to iPhone videos so I can watch them while I'm traveling. Then you can even geek out while your on the train. :)

JohnMarchant
09-12-2010, 01:23 PM
It's pretty easy to convert videos to play on the iphone using QT. I've resaved a bunch of the NT videos and some purchased tutorials to iPhone videos so I can watch them while I'm traveling. Then you can even geek out while your on the train. :)

Yeah ive used Allok video converter to convert them to iPhone format, gives me something to watch however it does run the battery down a bit ive noticed.