PDA

View Full Version : Skytracer 2

Richard Hebert
09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm using Skytracer for a backdrop and I don't know why but the sun is rendered in front of the clouds. Can this be changed in the plugin's menus someplace? Surely this can be fixed without having to resort to all kinds of compositing techniques on the resulting renders. Thanks for any ideas and input.

Richard

jrandom
09-10-2010, 04:19 PM
It looks to me like the sun is behind the clouds but bright enough to show through.

Skytracer is pretty primitive by today's standards, but short of using another program I'm not sure what the best solution is. I use Vue (see attached), but not everyone can afford that.

shrox
09-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm using Skytracer for a backdrop and I don't know why but the sun is rendered in front of the clouds. Can this be changed in the plugin's menus someplace? Surely this can be fixed without having to resort to all kinds of compositing techniques on the resulting renders. Thanks for any ideas and input.

Richard

Turn up the cloud opacity, but then you'll have to adjust a few other parameters too.

Richard Hebert
09-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Shrox,

Done all that, Opacity at 100; Density set at 100; everything affecting cloud density set at max. These are high altitude clouds if that helps anybody. I agree Vue is the way to go but like you said, out of range financially for the time being. Thanks guys for the responses. Let me know if anything else comes to mind.

Richard

prometheus
09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
I would use low altitude clouds.

and yes a high value of opacity is needed to obscure the clouds.

but man is skytracer so out of date, when is something like ogo taiki coming up? a wonderful promising plugin for lightwave but is now lying dorment in oblivion.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~pq1a-ogs/taiki_e.html

Michael

Richard Hebert
09-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Just went to the OGO site, I agree. A great tool but the plugin doesn't appear to work on Mac. I would pay three times the asking price if it did everything listed on the site.

Richard

Ryan Roye
09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I too have found skytracer to be almost unusable. The big problem with skytracer is that it is nearly impossible to make it seamless with the environment... all it seems to do is generate the (rather flat looking) sky on the upper half of the render, so unless you make your terrain really hilly it'll stick out horribly. I can't get it to work with fog either, the sky looks clear even with foggy environments. Its just a clumsy tool that really never should have made it into lightwave, I can't see it being useful even in yesterday's standards.

So, i've given up on it and just do it the old fashioned way; draw a sphere, texture it with an appropriate sky, use composite techniques where needed to make it more 3d.

prometheus
09-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Just went to the OGO site, I agree. A great tool but the plugin doesn't appear to work on Mac. I would pay three times the asking price if it did everything listed on the site.

Richard

As I have mentioned before about ogo taiki, thereīs a couple of main issues.

1. Rendertimes,since itīs a volumetric plugin it can be very slow, but I havent tried it on faster machines.

2. UI..itīs quite daunting to find your way in all the layers and tabs, you are most certain to loose your way and change settings on wrong layers.
and there are quality settings everywhere..all this needs to be
shrinked down.

3. Itīs stagnated or stopped in itīs development.

Then you might argue that the vue spectral algorithm is a more natural physical true algoritm implemented atmoshpere model than ogo taiki is, ogo is probably more of a good fake of that.

Main advantages of ogo taiki is that it can deal with cloud density procedural textures in a much better way than vueīs lousy noise fractals.
light and shadow, and colors can be changed enormously wich in vue are more fixed but already very natural.

I wouldnīt go for ozone plugin if you plan to do cloud environment to fly through with fire and smoke following.
Ogo taiki can utilize particle systems for cloud generation or even smoke.
Goodrays can be acheived with fog layers.

Michael

CaptainMarlowe
09-15-2010, 12:59 AM
I have Ozone 3. Doesn't react to volumetrics, so impossible to use with HV or HD Instance, crashes all the time, not updated in 64-Bits, and even if the newest version (Ozone 4) is supposed to work with volumetric (which I haven't tested, so I won't speak about that) it certainly won't be updated for 64bits (Mac), and E-On will charge at full price those who have waited between Ozone 3 and Ozone 5 because they didn't want to upgrade with each version. Their pricing policy is certainly less friendly than Newtek's.
Plus Ozone 3 blurs the renders and often creates flickering in animations...
So, I'm not spending any more money in E-ON softwares any more.
Right now, I just use Ozone to render HDR spherical maps and map them in the "image world" function. Used with LightB**ch to set up lighting, they give a good result. And I can then add the volumetrics I want, fog, HVs, instances...

prometheus
09-15-2010, 02:36 AM
ozone 4 renders hypervoxels, but you canīt get them to interact and obscure, a particle
smoke trail cant go through ozone clouds, they wont obscure.

I believe it will work with hypervoxels and ogo taiki properly thou, or simply use ogo taikis
volumetrics on the particles.

avoid the workflow hazzle with ozone,vue and lightwave by implementing
a good volumetric atmosphere engine similar to ogo taiki.

Itīs necessary to have it working with some sort of realtime
previewer thou to be able to work fluent with scene setup like in vue.
maybe something will show up for the lightwave 10/core, thats what I wish for.
Im convinced if done right,it will nock down vue major time, and also will draw many new mattepainters to lightwave.

Michael

jrandom
09-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I can't promise anything, but I'll do the best I can. Should be an interesting adventure.

Edit: Hah, thought I was on another thread. Crikey.

ericsmith
09-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I too have found skytracer to be almost unusable. The big problem with skytracer is that it is nearly impossible to make it seamless with the environment... all it seems to do is generate the (rather flat looking) sky on the upper half of the render, so unless you make your terrain really hilly it'll stick out horribly. I can't get it to work with fog either, the sky looks clear even with foggy environments. Its just a clumsy tool that really never should have made it into lightwave, I can't see it being useful even in yesterday's standards.

There is one trick I figured out that helps a lot is to create a haze element to obscure the horizon of the sky. If you create a giant sphere (large enough to be completely outside of any scene elements), set the luminosity to 100, set the color to something appropriate for a distant haze, turn shadows off, and create a gradient to control opacity, the results can get pretty reasonable.

I posted about this a long time ago here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6847&highlight=skytracer

I could have sworn I posted some sample images and a little tutorial somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.

Eric