PDA

View Full Version : How much animation do you produce per day (on average) when using mocap?

silviotoledo
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
How much animation seconds do you produce per day (on average) when using mocap?

It also includes time to work over it and apply to lightwave.

silviotoledo
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Thanks Megalodon!

It helped me a lot.

I'm thinking in buying Ipisoft to try a similar pipeline.

So I', thinking about how much produtivity I would have and this also will require more computers to render.

So I will need a MOCAP+another software to edit+ more computers to render.

ZE_COLMEIA
09-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Animeeple + lightwave pipeline still looks confusing, at least for me.

RebelHill
09-10-2010, 02:34 AM

http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

exactly the same with animaeeple (in place of MB)... you just have to buy to fbx export plugin instead of using collada.

But hey, thats $50 compared with... how much is MB again these days, i forget... I think i developed a mental bloack about a year ago when i looked it up under the silly notion that I might upgrade to the latest version.

RebelHill
09-10-2010, 02:36 AM

http://rebelhill.net/html/lwandfbx.html

exactly the same with animaeeple (in place of MB)... you just have to buy to fbx export plugin instead of using collada.

But hey, thats $50 compared with... how much is MB again these days, i forget... I think i developed a mental bloack about a year ago when i looked it up under the silly notion that I might upgrade to the latest version.

grrr.... double posting grrrr....

rdrdrd23
09-13-2010, 08:34 AM
How much animation seconds do you produce per day (on average) when using mocap?

It also includes time to work over it and apply to lightwave.

Difficult to generalise on that one because it really depends on the deseired fidelity level of the project, and your budget. With projects where it has to be `spot on`, you spend more time. If its with background charcter anims, you can afford to economise.

In my experience, you end up spending the SAME amount of time with mocap as hand keyed stuff. No more, no less. Its often just `different` work. I.e. you might spend a long time correcting some weighting/timing in hand keyed stuff, and in cleanup/occluded-data-fixing when using mocap.

The last mocap proj I did with LW was a breeze.... but then I hired soemone else to do the mocap cleanup! lol
The only Lightwave-side work ever really needed was to fix gymbal flips.

3dWannabe
09-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Over $4k the last time I checked. :cursin:

I would much prefer Animeeple or JimmyRig Pro - MotionBuilder is severe overkill for me.

Would it be possible to have JimmyRig rig a character, setup weight maps, etc - and then use MotionBuilder to apply the motion to this character using a bvh from OptiTrack or iPi Soft?

rdrdrd23
09-13-2010, 09:23 AM
I couldn't say- not having used any of the aforementioned, other than MB, ViconIQ and LW so I'll have to leave that open to the floor.
All I can say is that if your character rig in MB is totally vanilla, (as Motionbuilder likes it) then the LW->Motionbuilder->pipeline is very smooth indeed.
No reason you couldnt use a BVH to drive your rig in MB. Once you've got it cleanly set up, it should work well enough.

ZE_COLMEIA
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Is there a way to convert from joints to z-axis and let the bones in the same position of the the joints? thats my problem now.

RebelHill Thanks for the answer.

3dWannabe
09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't see why not. All you would have to do is export whatever you have from JimmyRig to a LW scene and if there is any motion attached you could just use the graph editor to delete it, then save the character WITH the JimmyRig applied weightmaps. You'll still have to go through the procedure of creating a template in MotionBuilder for your LW skeleton, but that should be it.

I just bought MB 2011 with the Entertainment Creation Suite, so I'm very interested in this.

Is thi template the same one you mentioned for the bvh files, or is this a separate template for the LW skeleton (in addition to the bvh template)?

Now I just need to find some tutorials on creating these template(s). I looked for a MB book, but I guess they are all more specific to Maya, with maybe a chapter on MB.

Any ideas for the best way to learn MB?

BTW - I'm very envious of your Optitrack 'amateur' setup.

If I can ever attain the level of 'amateur', I want one of these: http://www.naturalpoint.com/optitrack/products/insight-vcs/