PDA

View Full Version : nulls crash layout 9.6

Eroneouse
09-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Hi all long time no post so here goes. I am following a tut to make fireworks and my problem is that when I make the parentemitter null and set up the emitter options and then click on the null to move it layout crashes. I have gotten around this by moveing the null to where I want it before setting up the emitter options so no biggy there. However when I create a childparentemitter layout crashes as soon as I name it to childparentemitter :/

Is there something basic I should be doing before I create the second null or am I just unlucky.

LW9.6, WinXP SP3, 2gig DC [email protected], sata2 HD, conroe intel duocore2 @ stock 2.4ghz.

Thanks for any help/suggestions with this.

nickdigital
09-09-2010, 10:49 AM
Odd crash.

Have you tried deleting your configs?

Eroneouse
09-09-2010, 10:51 AM
No I have not tried deleteing my configs... ever. I shall go and have a look for them :)

Edit - I had a search with win search option for Lightwave config but nothing returned, does the config file have a specific name I should use for this search option ?

4dartist
09-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Are you on a Mac or PC?

On a mac, they are located in the HD>User>(username)>Library>Preferences>
They may be in the Lightwave 3D directory there or just in the preferences folder not sure.

You can create a 'preferences' folder in your Lightwave 3d folder in your applications. Once you have that, lightwave will see it and save any configs there, just put your license in there too. So much easier to find them there.

The reason you can't find them with a search is because the mac doesn't search those directories in the Library.

This is mac info though, if you are on a PC others will be able to help.

OnlineRender
09-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I was having mega troubles with nulls and dynimacs , the work around "every time I clicked on a null ,with Dyn LW crashed " the only way around it was to go into properties and select the object manual , also if you have saved the motion file out and it is attached (loaded),and you goto move another null in the scene , I also found it to be unstable .
SAVE SAVE SAVE

Eroneouse
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
4dartist I am on a PC.
Onlinerender thanks for that workaround I shall certainly try that. Save often is my byword usually its every 15 mins or so but with Dyn null's I see its save after every mouse click :)

OnlineRender
09-09-2010, 03:04 PM
4dartist I am on a PC.
Onlinerender thanks for that workaround I shall certainly try that. Save often is my byword usually its every 15 mins or so but with Dyn null's I see its save after every mouse click :)

every 15 minutes ,your Brave , I'm every Click :)

daforum
09-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Eroneouse, can you post the link to the firework tutorial so I can have a look at how it's set up?

Eroneouse
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Eroneouse, can you post the link to the firework tutorial so I can have a look at how it's set up?

Sure thing, the link goes to vid clip 1 of 3 and the main page the tut's are listed on is just awesome in some of the tips and tricks used to generate 3D stuff but the firework tut link... http://www.vfxcast.com/media/108/Making_Fireworks_in_LightWave_3D_9.x_-_Part_01/

daforum
09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Thanks. Will have a look :)

daforum
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Okay. I had a look at the tutorials (all 3 videos) and followed them exactly as Aurora does them. I had no problems setting up, adding/ naming nulls or even moving the nulls around.
I was able to recalculate the particles after moving the Parent Emitter null around.

I don't know what would be causing the crashes you experienced as i'm using LW 9.6 (on a Mac) aswell.
Maybe if you name the nulls with spaces instead of as one word as you have posted
ie: "Child Parent Emitter Null" instead of "childparentemitter"

Not sure that will help, but it's worth a try :)

Eroneouse
09-14-2010, 06:42 PM
Oki Daforum thanks for the input I will try variouse different ways of going at this when I get back to playing with firework effects again. At the moment I am playing with the alien creature rig and trying to recreate the sky tv logo thingy the one with the sky text in glass surface and all the jazzy colours around it.

It is a wierd one the firework bug as a few months back I played around with a firework effect by following william vaugns tut for a similar effect and had no hiccups at all with it. William if I spelt your second name wrong here you have my appologys but its late and im pushed for time as its past bedtime now but thanks all again.

Now if I could just find that cfg file :D

toby
09-15-2010, 12:36 AM
If deleting your configs doesn't do it, try removing the particles plugin from the list (alt-F11) and reloading it. This list can become corrupted, messing up the way the plugin is loaded.

Eroneouse
09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok another crash today envolving dynamics but I found a fix but here goes anyway...

Following William Vaughns tutorial for hard effects I repeatedly got a crash after assigning the dynamics data to the objects envolved in layout. However shutting down modeller seems to completely fix this crash so with modeller open as well as layout a guaranteed crash for me useing hard effects but modeller closed and just layout open no crash at all.

Would this have anything to do with the fact that in layout the objects are being manipulated and in modeller those same objects stay static. Because if you switch to modeller and make a change to an object or at least a simple change then in layout that change seems to automatically pass across to the corresponding object in layout ?

toby
09-18-2010, 07:44 PM
That figures. It's the damn HUB that's causing your crash. Yes when you switch to modeler from layout or vice versa, any models that are open in both will be updated. I haven't used the hub in about 8 years and even then it was only for one occasion, it's never been a stable feature.

If you want to disable the Hub, find the application and move it to a different folder (shut both down first). Then layout and modeler will be independent, and far more stable.

Eroneouse
09-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Thank you for that good sir I shall start doing this in future IE make sure the hub is not open too :)