PDA

View Full Version : New Rig +

GandB
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Ordered and received my very own copy of Photoshop CS5 (standard, couldn't afford extended), at a whopping $750!

Also just grabbed an Alienware (Aurora) setup:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 930 Quad Core Processor (2.8GHz, 8MB Cache)

Memory: 12GB Triple Channel 1333MHz DDR3

Hard Drive: 1.5TB - SATA, 3Gb/s, 7,200 RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

Video Card: Single 1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460

Liquid Cooled

Ran me about $2,200. It's been about 5 years since I got a new 'puter; thought it was about time! Shouldn't have any issues running what I need to run; been waiting for this set-up to really start my development...and it's coming just in time for my little vacation I have planned. :-? While I'm waiting; I'm going to start learning some of the basics of Photoshop...been using Paint Shop Pro since '03.

Also grabbed this keyboard/mouse combo: MX 5500 Laser Cordless Desktop Bundle (http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&k=MX+5500+Laser+Cordless+Desktop+Bundle&cat=all&x=9&y=6)

I'm staying with my 19" Dell Ultrasharp I bought 5 years ago; that allowed me to spend more money on the machine (better graphics card, RAM, etc.).

I'll have to start getting things together before it gets here (serial keys, small programs and plugins, etc.), and switch my LW 9.6 over to the new machine. I'll be running LW 64-bit now; I wonder how much of a speed improvement there is?

At any rate; I still have all those tutorials to start on, the vacation will be a good time to get cracking and blow the dust off my toolset and start creating some stuff that will make me some change (and get back into game development)! ;)

safetyman
09-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Regarding Photoshop -- be sure you check out the content aware filter; it's great for removing just about anything you don't want from an image, including trees, clouds, blotches, imperfections, and those nastly little humans that always seem to crop up all over the place. Also, try playing around with the puppet warp tool (similar to the bone tools in Flash).

GandB
09-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks; I've seen the video demonstration on the CA tool (great tool), but I have yet to check out the puppet warp tool. :)

crashnburn
09-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Don't expect huge speed increases switching to 64bit Lightwave. It renders at around the same speed as 32bit (although a resent test on the forum showed 64bit a few seconds slower than 32bit). What it will mean is that you can handle much larger assets. I'm building a Tiger Tank that Layout in 32bit can't handle, but 64bit handles fine.

GandB
09-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I see. Thanks for that insight!

jasonwestmas
09-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow, you can really haul something amazing with that rig. I usually don't spend more than 1500 on computer though. It's interesting to have 12GB of Ram , so you can render images?? I rather have 3 or 4 computers with equal amount of Ram for rendering stuff and for backup in case one breaks.

That wicked video card makes more sense to me with this new OGL feature stuff that is coming out soon.

GandB
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
One of these days, I'd like to format the HD on the one I currently use (old Dell XPS 400)...and use it to either help in renders, or something that I can use to work on renders, etc...independent of my main machine. I've been told that 12GB of RAM is a bit excessive; but I just didn't want to mess about anymore, and wonder if my machine could handle something. I wanted something that I wouldn't have to add anything to for a number of years, and would just work. ;)

I do plan on getting an additional Dell Ultrasharp Monitor later on, to help with working in two or more apps at once. I'd also like to purchase a good tablet, once I get going with PS in a serious manner...and possibly add Mudbox or Zbrush to my tools. But that's all down the road. I told my wife I would self-fund my equipment and software with money I make from content/media I create and sell! Sort of a self-sustaining hobby, that I wouldn't mind turning into a decent alternate/additional income.

We'll have to see where I sit in 6 months to a year from now! ;)

-Keith

jasonwestmas
09-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Oh yeah, having more than 4GB of Ram definitely helps when using Zbrush. Then you can keep all your apps open and dedicate all 4GB to ZBrush. Zbrush doesn't use more than that though. You'll definitely need that wacom tablet too!

GandB
09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I've looked over the different styles and sizes of Wacom. Any rec's on one? I, of course, like the look and ability to draw directly on the screen in the $2000 version. ;)

jasonwestmas
09-10-2010, 11:36 AM
I've looked over the different styles and sizes of Wacom. Any rec's on one? I, of course, like the look and ability to draw directly on the screen in the $2000 version. ;)

Never used the screenie versions, though I'm sure they work better than they used to. Bigger is better I'm sure with wacoms.

phillydee
09-17-2010, 11:11 AM
:offtopic:

Nice rig--but Alienware... did they overclock your i7? You're sitting on a heck of a lot of un-used muscle. I don't know what Alienware's policy is regarding overclocking etc. I've got a near-identical rig; I'm running my 930 at 3.8ghz on air right now, and it idles at 38-40c depending what time of day it is, heh. During render it hums around 65. I can probably work with it at 4ghz but I want to keep the CPU for a lot longer than it's rated 3 year life. If you haven't looked into overclocking, you should--especially if you got a rig with loads of speed potential!

GandB
09-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Ah; too later for that, it's not overclocked I'm afraid. I'll have to post how it runs in this thread when it gets here next week.

phillydee
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
But you still have a fabulous rig, dude--12gigs is pure sweetness. 64bit PS with your graphics card acceleration is going to be visibly moving. Anyway, sorry for the thread hi-jack!

@Jason I built my rig for around 1500, so it *can* be done but it takes more time and if you screw up (like I did on a few occasions) it's a bigger pain to send components back instead of having Alienware send out a new box for you etc... heh

jasonwestmas
09-17-2010, 12:44 PM
@Jason I built my rig for around 1500, so it *can* be done but it takes more time and if you screw up (like I did on a few occasions) it's a bigger pain to send components back instead of having Alienware send out a new box for you etc... heh

For sure. . . I've had my problems with brand new hard drives and motherboards that simply had crappy drivers/firmware or just didn't work properly.

I think I'll buy pre-built next time regardless of price.

phillydee
09-17-2010, 01:10 PM
I yanked out an old graphics card once without completely removing power out of the mobo--the card shorted something on the mobo... that was a big bummer. You're jazzed about installing some new piece of gear only to find you've shafted the next 2 weeks of your time.

Another time, I had the Seagate "Boot Of Death" on one of my data drives that had work I was working on in the middle of a project for a client. Luckily Seagate was able to flash the firmware and send back the drive with the data in tact. What really sucked was I had to be finished with the project before Seagate sent back the disk.

So far, my last build has been rock solid:
Intel i7 930 D0, Asus P6X58D Premium, Corsair XMS3 12GB kit at DDR3-1600 (6x2gb), GTX480, 850W TT PSU, and a total of 1.7TB of drivespace enclosed in a Silverstone FT-02.

GandB
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
You've got my system beat by a bit, Philly (my DDR3 is 1333)! I don't really know what I'm doing, as far as putting a system together; so I'll let the pros do that, then I can concentrate on more important things...like being productive. Between the family and full time work with criminals; I need to make sure the time I do have is used wisely and effectively.

jasonwestmas
09-17-2010, 02:11 PM
So far, my last build has been rock solid:
Intel i7 930 D0, Asus P6X58D Premium, Corsair XMS3 12GB kit at DDR3-1600 (6x2gb), GTX480, 850W TT PSU, and a total of 1.7TB of drivespace enclosed in a Silverstone FT-02.

Or I can just copy someone elses Rig lol. ;)

phillydee
09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
@GandB don't worry, at that speed the difference is fractional between 1333 and 1600. Note that most X58 chipset boards don't support 1600 speed when RAM is taken on all 6 slots(unless you really work the thing and spend countless nights tweaking voltages... fun) I have my RAM dialed down right now so it plays nice with the CPU at the current multiplier--reason I got the XMS3-1600s were just so I had a lot of 'headroom' to play with initially... heh :) I did several benchmarks (non LW rendering) between a few different RAM speeds, and the difference between the two speeds I mentioned above are barely noticeable.

Again, you'll be blown away when you get your new rig!

GandB
09-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Ah; good to know! I'll have to create a scene or two to render in 32-bit (maybe this watch setup I already have (made from a D. Ablan Tut); then grab my 64-bit license and compare times...just for my own curiosity. It should be here in a few days! ;)