PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap!! Some of the best CG I've seen in a long time.

rezman
09-08-2010, 11:06 AM
http://vimeo.com/14715111

Matt
09-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, that's a bit good isn't it!

Wonder what it was done in?

Iain
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM

Max & V-ray.

Chris S. (Fez)
09-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, that's a bit good isn't it!

Seems it was Vray.

JeffrySG
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
http://www.studio-aiko.com/temp/classroom/classroom_daylight.html

pretty cool... I like the night version too.

sampei
09-08-2010, 01:30 PM
that's been over at the CGtalk award gallery for a while...yup, pretty damn incredible.

JeffrySG
09-08-2010, 01:49 PM
This kind of reminds me of some of Iain's work from the speed modeling challenges. Just add a lot more objects and furniture and then animate.

donlimpio
09-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm surprised at the 'I wonder what it was done in?' and 'Seems it was vRay' reactions. Isn't it glaringly obvious that this was done with vRay? It's got the - admittedly beautiful - vRay look plastered all over it. Max has little do with it in my opinion.

If only this could be done with Lightwave - I've got Kray but I can't get stuff like this out of it!

Hieron
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Most people can't get this out of Vray either, it's not per se all about the renderer..

Svenart
09-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I saw the stills some time ago at cgtalk. Again one of this images that make me think about doing suicide :D ...a little bit... really Great! :beerchug:

COBRASoft
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Impressive work! Iain, there's a real challenge for you :D. And make a tut of it in the meantime (yeah, again!!!).

jasonwestmas
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
What? No death defying stunts!? I like the wood and lighting.

Iain
09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
If only this could be done with Lightwave - I've got Kray but I can't get stuff like this out of it!

You're obviously looking for the software with the magic button! If these guys were LW artists the images would be exactly the same.

It's not difficult to get this 'look' regardless of what engine you use-you just have to know what you're doing (and then put hours upon hours into a single project.)

sampei
09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
You're obviously looking for the software with the magic button! If these guys were LW artists the images would be exactly the same.

It's not difficult to get this 'look' regardless of what engine you use-you just have to know what you're doing (and then put hours upon hours into a single project.)

:agree:

sampei
09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
And make a tut of it in the meantime (yeah, again!!!).
hahaha...uhm..it would be kinda nice tho...

Intuition
09-10-2010, 05:08 PM

I agree and disagree. I agree you can get this look in many different software/engines. Where I disagree is that the engine doesn't matter.

Vray allows this look with much less effort then other engines.

I know this because I use it everyday. There was a little battle at DD where the LW people battled the Mental Ray, Renderman, and Vray people with photoreal scenes. Vray could get there much faster and easier then any other engines.

Its materials and engine are just set up for this kind of look. When people were flipping out about 3rd and the 7th I realized they may not have been Vray users. It could be said that Vray is not as versatile as say renderman, mental ray or LW because these engines have many other capabilities overall but the photoreal look was Vray's specialty.

Only in Vray (and maybe maxwell render) have I seen people that have very little CG experience produce images of high photoreal quality. Where as the other engines need months if not years of use before photoreal is even possible. Thankfully linear workflow has banched out to other render engines besides Vray and many can get the nice look.

Meanwhile I have people here at DD with no lighting experience churning out beautiful stuff thanks for Vray's ease of use.

So I agree you can get there with any engine. But if you are only moderately good with Vray you can produce this look much quicker and easier barring the modeling and texturing details which would be needed in any engine. Vray's happy accidents happen almost all the time where as other engines will require a wealth of sweet spot knowledge.

Tobian
09-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Beautiful and amazing stuff, that's really aspirational. The detail level is insane, and it would do my head in to model and texture all of that.. The rendering would be the easiest part :D

Hopper
09-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I saw this animation before, but this was the first time I noticed I have the same soldering iron. I had to go look at mine... and of course it was spot on.

Note: Modeling an 80w soldering iron is usually not dangerous. However having your real one fall onto a table made of fake wooden laminate is VERY dangerous. I couldn't get that smell out of the room for a week.

geo_n
09-10-2010, 09:26 PM
People are always arguing against vray at newtek. Hehe. Is it because lightwave doesn`t have vray. Its too bad to think this way. Good software is good software regardless. Companies don`t switch renderers unless there`s something to gain and vray is the best renderer out there.

Iain
09-11-2010, 04:55 AM
I agree and disagree. I agree you can get this look in many different software/engines. Where I disagree is that the engine doesn't matter.

Vray allows this look with much less effort then other engines.

I didn't say the engine doesn't matter, just that those who know what they're doing can make their preferred engine produce results like this.

I agree with the rest of your post though, including the fact that vray makes a lot of things easier than most engines.
It's easliy at the top of the game as far as I'm concerned.

But, I love using LW :hey:

jasonwestmas
09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Hope this satisfies you...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDcd8DZK_o&feature=player_embedded

haha, nothing like an invisible jump ramp to save the day!

Sekhar
09-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Hope this satisfies you...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDcd8DZK_o&feature=player_embedded

Actually this is pretty state-of-the-art/realistic by Telugu (the language) movie standards and BTW this film was the biggest box office hit ever. The opening scene in Golden Eye takes the cake for me actually, where Bond jumps into a crashing plane to take over.

Captain Obvious
09-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh my god that was the most awesomest thing I've seen in weeks!

Intuition
09-11-2010, 08:30 PM

See, in this clip, you can obviously tell that the girl with the wind blowing in her hair and the sword were rendered in Vray.

Intuition
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I didn't say the engine doesn't matter, just that those who know what they're doing can make their preferred engine produce results like this.

I agree with the rest of your post though, including the fact that vray makes a lot of things easier than most engines.
It's easliy at the top of the game as far as I'm concerned.

But, I love using LW :hey:

Ultimately, Iain, you prove the engine should not matter and I think we all know you are, like otacon and a few others, one of the best LW engine masters around.

:D

Iain
09-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Ultimately, Iain, you prove the engine should not matter

Well, thank you. High praise indeed.

Now to match this scene in LW :hey:

sampei
09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, thank you. High praise indeed.

Now to match this scene in LW :hey:
and make a tutorial out of it ! sorry ;D
but that would seriously be something I'd be looking forward to seeing...Jeffry's suggestion could actually be a big time saver for a project of that magnitude.

Mr Rid
09-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Holy Crap!! Some of the best CG I've seen in a long time.

I think Third and Seventh blows all else out of the water for photoreal archivizzy stuff.
http://vimeo.com/7809605

I dont know Vray but there is some reason why I consistently see many more impressively realistic renders since it's first release. It seems Vray's features have something more to do with it than just who is using it. The GI particularly appears to be calculating something better than LW or Kray.

Razvan Maftei, '05-
Geoffrey packer, '05-
Jure Zagoricnik

jasonwestmas
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
LW GI yeah, Vray smokes it from what I have seen. Kray, dunno, looks about the same to me.

sampei
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
:0 thanks for posting that video, I had goosebumps for the last five minutes. I'd never guessed it was a one man job...even the music ! really beautiful in every little detail.

Captain Obvious
09-12-2010, 06:52 PM
The funny thing about The Third and the Seventh is that there's very little in it that Lightwave's render engine would have any difficulties with at all. The thing that makes it look gorgeous is the artistic skills that went into making it; the actual "technical quality"* of the rendering is pretty standard and certainly not beyond what Lightwave could accomplish in the hands of a skilled artist. And yes, even with reasonable render times.

* things like GI noise, anti-aliasing, etc

donlimpio
09-14-2010, 04:21 PM

As much as I admire your work, I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth Iain. To my recollection I did not clamour for a 'magic button' solution, but you seem to know my hidden thoughts better than I do myself - yes yes, I'm OBVIOUSLY looking for that magic button, just because I wonder how people can not recognise the vRay look instantly.

Now, as a longtime LightWave user - think early Dave Jerrard-days (when learning 3D still implied being a bachelor for a couple of years)- and supervisor of the ArchViz team where I work I think I'm entitled to repeat: I wish LightWave could do stuff like this. We have LightWave, Kray and fPrime and we have evolved from faking radiosity with a gazillion spotlights through the spinning light trick to taking too long to render GI with good contact shadows. I think I know the ins and outs well enough - and as an independent with my own shop I know what putting in hours, days and nights means. And still my sentiments remain: I wish LW could do this. If you insist that this 'look' is not hard to do, I would love to know what I'm doing wrong - together with a whole lot of fellow LightWavers.

I guess the vRay users are all hard working determined and motivated people, and LW users are just a bit lazy then, seeing how the interior renders from LW are generally not on par with vRay stuff - surely this could not have anything to do with the tools, right?

Feel free to read this as whining and asking for a magic solution, and any wishes for improvements in the LW-renderer as foolish unwillingness to see the qualities of LW. In the meantime we shall continue to work hard to get as close to this as possible inside our trusty workhorse, LightWave. But not without fair criticism, in my opinion.

Captain Obvious
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
just because I wonder how people can not recognise the vRay look instantly.
The Vray Look™ is not that hard to replicate in any render engine. All you really need is soft diffuse ambience (as in... the real-world ambience concept, not flat "ambient light") and Lancoz filtering. And glossy highlights all over the place. Ta-da!

I guess the vRay users are all hard working determined and motivated people, and LW users are just a bit lazy then, seeing how the interior renders from LW are generally not on par with vRay stuff - surely this could not have anything to do with the tools, right?
Weeell. It's partly the tools. But if you look at something like, say, the Alex Roman's Third and Seventh thing. Most of the raw, ungraded stuff is not so hard to do in Lightwave. It's mostly good texturing, good lighting and good grading. There's nothing about most of the renders that is difficult to do in any render engine. Sure, Vray makes it more straightforward than Lightwave, because everything is just right there. I'd argue that you need less technical know-how to make Vray look good.

The main difference is that most of the worlds really good arch viz artists, well, they use 3dsmax. At Cityscape, where I work nowadays, they've started hiring some 3dsmax artists. Reason why: they weren't able to find any good enough LW artists. I'm basically the only one at the company right now who's well versed in using Lightwave for rendering. Max artists aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but they's a heck of a lot more of them hanging around in London that's for sure!

Iain
09-15-2010, 01:13 AM
Feel free to read this as whining and asking for a magic solution, and any wishes for improvements in the LW-renderer as foolish unwillingness to see the qualities of LW.

I still read your first post the way I did before.
How else could "I've got Kray but I can't get stuff like this out of it" come across other than that you expect the software to do it for you?

I agree LW could be improved. I'd also love access to vray through LW but its not going to happen.
LW is not vray but its pretty good and if you master your craft like these guys have done, these images are easily done with a good renderer.

This success of this project comes through a combination of incredibly detailed modelling, decent lighting and killer post production. I honestly think the base renders could have been achieved in Truespace circa 1998.