PDA

View Full Version : Lens flares!

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't- can't believe that no one has said anything about this. Video Toaster started in the 1990s, right? almost 20 YEARS of lightwave development, and we're stuck with the same crappy lens flares lightwave started out with! R&D, DO SOMETHING!!!

Elmar Moelzer
09-07-2010, 02:59 PM
What exactly do you want the lensflares to do that they dont? What do they do that you dont want them to do? Have you checked options like Corona and Bloom Filter too?

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Look at a real lens flare... the reflections are smaller, and there are more colored discs.

Red_Oddity
09-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Look at a real lens flare... the reflections are smaller, and there are more colored discs.
From what camera? With what lens? What filters? What film stock?
All these attribute to the artifacts that are dumped under the 'lens flare' blanket name.

Why not export a 3d locator for use in post, and use something like Knoll Lens Flare / Knoll Light Factory or Video Copilot Optical Flares?

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Wha??????????

Red_Oddity
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah, sorry, sometimes i just skip entire steps in my posts, asuming people just know what i'm talking about.

I was wondering why you just don't simply take your 3d renders, and along with that, an export of your light locations as 3d data (or 3d to 2d screen space converted data) for use in a compositing program like Fusion, Nuke or After Effects, where you can attach a lens flare generated by one of those programs or one of their available lens flare plugins, like Knoll or Optical Flares?

http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/
http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/knoll-light-factory/

4dartist
09-07-2010, 05:08 PM
After Effects and Knoll Light Factory.. = awesome lens flares. :D

If lightwave had flares that powerful I may use them, but anything short of that I just render a tracking dot and make a flare follow it in After Effects.

Yes, the flares in LW are crap. Not only do they not serve as good flares there are a lot of bugs with them, like putting one behind an object really far away, it won't be hidden, it shows through the object. (like if a flare moved behind an object because of a camera move or something) I put in a bug report long ago. With that said.. I have used them quite a bit in my LW history haha.

yaschan
09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
I definably agree with SonicN20. Lightwave's native lens flares should be further developed. Even though such effects are usually done in post, it would be handy to have something usable built in.
Properly done lens flare is so much more than just those rows of spheres on the screen, especially if light source is off-screen.

And as 4dartist said, the Lightwave flares have actual bugs.

I am happy user of Optical Flares plugin for AE and I rely on that plugin whenever I have to do them.

Svenart
09-09-2010, 08:55 AM
+1 .... a better Lensflare in LW would be very handy, hoping for this since a long time

OnlineRender
09-09-2010, 01:13 PM
From what camera? With what lens? What filters? What film stock?
All these attribute to the artifacts that are dumped under the 'lens flare' blanket name.

Why not export a 3d locator for use in post, and use something like Knoll Lens Flare / Knoll Light Factory or Video Copilot Optical Flares?

awesome advice , I would recommend VC Optical Flares , to everybody that uses AE .. its probably the best $100 I have ever spent . .EDIT "well maybe the stripper at BareNecessities NY " , that was maybe the best $100 :rock:

SonicN2O
09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
. .EDIT "well maybe the stripper at BareNecessities NY " , that was maybe the best $100 :rock:
you're strange...
does anyone know if LW 10 has better lens flares? if not, they should definetly improve in 10.1!

djlithium
09-10-2010, 01:44 AM
You know its funny. LW was the first commercial 3d package to incorporate flares of any kind. Now its the only package that hasn't done anything with them really new since they were introduced.
But does anyone here remember GenesisFX? This is going back at least 11 -12 years. Amazing stuff! And guess what? The guy who wrote it is none other than Andrew Cross who works at NewTek (but in the video division as the main man behind the video products division). Too bad we couldn't get a new updated version of GenesisFX for LW 10 - that would be awesome... or maybe Videoco-pilot's flare package but for Lightwave. That would be smoking awesome.

OnlineRender
09-10-2010, 04:25 AM
you're strange...

and it took you a month to work that OUT ? . .

Mr Rid
09-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I agree, LW lens flares are unusably dated except for some simple things, and I've wondered when we might see an upgrade or decent plugin. 2D plugins are groovie, but 3D lens reflections can be advantageous in some scenes, with dozens of lights, moving on the Z and behind objects and such.

djlithium
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Mr Rid, I totally agree. One other thing that's popped into my mind is getting flares through caustics and caustic materials.
That's a bit of a tall order I guess.

jeric_synergy
09-11-2010, 11:44 PM
But does anyone here remember GenesisFX? This is going back at least 11 -12 years. Amazing stuff! And guess what? The guy who wrote it is none other than Andrew Cross who works at NewTek (but in the video division as the main man behind the video products division). Too bad we couldn't get a new updated version of GenesisFX for LW 10 - that would be awesome... or maybe Videoco-pilot's flare package but for Lightwave. That would be smoking awesome.
meh. I had Genesis-FX, and it A) barely worked, and B) was slow as molasses.

And not the good, Turbo-molasses®. The horrible, Yugoslavian molasses.