PDA

View Full Version : Desktop icon weirdness in Windows 7 Pro

Mr Rid
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
For some reason, my Lightwave and Modeler icons regularly disappear off the desktop along with a 'My Computer' shortcut. All other icons never have this problem. It usually occurs after reboot, but not always. Other times I just glance up at the screen and notice the icons have disappeared in the middle of normal operation. Also, often after reboot, all my icons will have rearranged themselves mysteriously, but not always. Autoarrange and Align to Grid are not enabled. I boot down and back up the same way every day, so there appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. I dont know why it is only the LW icons (5 of them) and the My Computer icon that keep vanishing at the same time, while the rest remain. I see a number of people online experiencing other icon weirdness but am not finding an effective solution. Anyone have direct experience with this?

Matt
09-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Not missing icons, but I have had icon positions on a few items not remember where they were, I move them back, reboot, they moved again!

Probably need to rebuild the icon cache or something.

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/how-to-rebuild-the-icon-cache-in-windows-vista/

Mr Rid
11-27-2010, 06:22 PM
I did find somewhere online that the disappearing icons is due to some dumb thing that auto runs once a week to delete icons without administrator clearance something or other. Have no idea how to make icons good enough to stay on the desktop past sunday, but I read an obscure way to locate the 'service' and turn it off somewhere in the bowels of Windows.

If I move icons, then enable 'arrange to grid', it sometimes locks them in place after reboot.

Mr Rid
12-07-2010, 10:54 PM
After researching, its interesting how NO ONE on the planet knows why Win7 rearranges desktop icons, how to prevent it, or why its a problem only for some users.

But I found a 'desktop restore' utility that works properly (similar utilities have glitches, limitations or dont work with x64)- http://www.midiox.com/ After install, R-click on display and there are three new options, including 'save' and 'restore' icons.

Now if I can just figure out why LW spends two minutes each time it cant find an image during scene load.

Jim_C
12-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I did find somewhere online that the disappearing icons is due to some dumb thing that auto runs once a week to delete icons without administrator clearance something or other. Have no idea how to make icons good enough to stay on the desktop past sunday, but I read an obscure way to locate the 'service' and turn it off somewhere in the bowels of Windows.

If I move icons, then enable 'arrange to grid', it sometimes locks them in place after reboot.

(good chance the below is nothing new to you)

The 'Desktop Cleanup wizard' was easily found and turned off in XP, but has been integrated into the System Maintenance Wizard in 7.

I haven't found how to turn off the individual functions but you can turn the whole thing off in
control panel>All Control Panel Options>Troubleshooting>Change Settings>Computer Maintenance

Mr Rid
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Didnt know about that one. And I dont remember how to get to the specific service. MAN I wish I was an interface consultant. I will never understand the over convolution of 99% of UIs and web sites. Anything related to 'desktop' settings should all be a r-click away.

Jim_C
12-09-2010, 04:33 PM
You can access all the control panel sub functions through a hidden 'Super Control Panel'. That helps a little bit getting to some functions.

Rt click on desktop, create a new folder and name it Super Control Panel.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

It doesn't reveal anything that can't eventually be dug up in the control panel, but it does create instant access to them and might reveal some things hard to find.

Mr Rid
12-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Cute.