PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Tricasters Networked as One

Myykk
09-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Guys,

Is it possible to network multiple HD tricasters together (perhaps at a distance) and route the individual signals to a "master" Tricaster for broadcasting? A network of Tricasters to a single unit?

Or asked another way, in a networked campus environment, can one create a system that allows individual Tricasters to "feed" another Tricaster and have the one be the streaming box? Think: recorded shows and "live" shows sent from one or more Tricasters to another.

What do you think?
Myykk :jam:

brians0105
09-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I think I understand what you're asking... correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically, in TV network terms, you would like one TriCaster to be the "master control" output to the viewer. This TriCaster can playback recorded shows or put live feeds to the output. The live feed could be from several other Program outputs of other TriCasters.

Is that what you're asking? If so, I don't see why it should be any problem at all. We did that a while back and had a TriCaster act as our Master Control output playing back recorded shows and three times a week had an hour long show switched live from another TriCaster. The live show TriCaster's Program output was fed into the Master Control TriCaster and was put on Program when our show was live. In this setup, the Master Control TriCaster also inserted in commercial breaks in the live show.

Brian

digiview
09-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I love this concept.

brians0105
09-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Re-reading your initial post I think you're also asking if the remote TriCasters can STREAM their output to the Master Control TriCaster.

I don't think the TriCasters themselves can decode a remote stream as an input in the TriCaster. But you could have a couple computers receiving the streams and then use scan converters to input the signals into the Master Control TriCaster.

PIZAZZ
09-06-2010, 08:41 PM
better option than a PC decoding and using IVGA/scan convertors to backhaul is to stream out to normally inexpensive set top receiver boxes that convert it to video. Or use 2 of the Marshall or Haivision Units that allow a point to point peer to peer type connection. Depends on the quality you need/desire.

What you propose we have implemented on several occasions for running a temporary information channel for corporate events/tradeshows.

the cost and complexity depends on the quality you are looking to maintain. HDSDI Ipbased backhaul is not going to be cheap nor will it be simple to implement.

brians0105
09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Jef,

What do you mean by set top receiver box??? I get the point to point encoder/decoder combination, which is probably the best bet for quality and cost. But what do you mean by the first option? Curious!

Brian

pro---studio
09-07-2010, 02:13 AM
I mean - the idea is great.

Why not "pimp up" iVGA for that? If you could simply select another TC in the network over iVGA that streams the master output and sound that would be awesome.

You could even try to do this via WLAN.

That would be a good feature request!

GREAT IDEA!!

Cheers

Myykk
09-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the first responses. To add a little more, we are doing this now...in studio...with three Tricasters by simply running direct cable (component, in our case) into our streaming box. A room down the hall is running cams by CAT6 converted to a Tricaster which is then fed in.

I'm looking to have Tricasters at a distance feeding the one. For example, between buildings on a campus, and maybe even across town, that is already networked.

I really would like to hear more about how this can be done. One network guy said that we can store our video, sometimes 30gb shows and retrieve them as needed. Maybe each box sending a completed broadcast to storage and then retrieving for streaming. But this doesn't get at the "live" shows...

Any further discussion and input greatly appreciated.

Myykk :jam:

PIZAZZ
09-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Big question is

Is your network connection over fiber or just copper? Especially any distant locations

PIZAZZ
09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
Oops posted too soon

If you have dedicated fiber run with a dark strand then a few TeleCast Rattlers that convert sdi to fiber and back would give you the best quality and most bulletproof connection.

http://www.telecast-fiber.com/rattler-hd-sdi-link/

After that option then you are going to be working with packets in an ip based world

This would be a link to a starting point
http://www.lcdracks.com/Acquisition/Servers/VS-101-HDSDI/VS-101-HDSDI.html

Roughly 2k per side and you would need 2 to do a peer to peer point to point