PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 10

mjh
09-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Linear work flow what is the look up tables (luts) and what will it do for me to get true photorealistic renders and will it help me in other ways, please explain to me is this linear work flow and look up tables new to lightwave 10 and will it make the render better and get true true photorealistc looks?

crashnburn
09-06-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought Linear workflow was about maintaining image continuity through your workflow, not a photorealism holygrail.

jasonwestmas
09-06-2010, 02:20 PM
The software is only as photoreal as you let it be. You can work in a linear fashion making model/render composites match photos. . sure it can do that but only with the help of a compositing package like AE or Fusion. This isn't exclsive to LW, this is true of any popular 3D package. Depending on your render buffer/ layer needs you may need to take a look at JANUS for lightwave.

rsfd
09-06-2010, 02:46 PM
Linear color workflow is/was already available in LW 9.x
It's just harder to achieve, as you manually have to linearize all images containing gamma encoding, colors aso.
And yes, you get a better overall quality (but not automatically photorealistic) especially if you render to a floating point output format and composite in 32-bit.
Just do a web search for "linear workflow in lightwave" or start with the tutorials at lightwiki.com

tudor
09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Linear color workflow is/was already available in LW 9.x
It's just harder to achieve, as you manually have to linearize all images containing gamma encoding, colors aso.
And yes, you get a better overall quality (but not automatically photorealistic) especially if you render to a floating point output format and composite in 32-bit.
Just do a web search for "linear workflow in lightwave" or start with the tutorials at lightwiki.com

Gerardo's setup using DP-nodes works fairy well.
Load preset, done. No need to mess with each image etc as he breaks the render apart, handles color and shade separate then puts it back to gether automatically.

raw-m
09-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Have you got a link for that, Tudor?

edit: think it's this:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71751

Edit: Edit: Actually, not sure it is but it's quite interesting :)

jasonwestmas
09-06-2010, 04:01 PM
ohh, he might be talking about Linear color formats. That would make sense then.

Eroneouse
09-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Linear work flow what is the look up tables (luts) and what will it do for me to get true photorealistic renders and will it help me in other ways, please explain to me is this linear work flow and look up tables new to lightwave 10 and will it make the render better and get true true photorealistc looks?

Photoreal looking models is something I am working on myself for a project I am hopeing will make some cash for me at some point. Getting a photoreal look is not an easy thing as I am sure were all aware. All I can suggest is read all you can about light, shade and colour and useing incidence to drive gradiant maps in reflection channels. I have seen photoreal objects created by many people useing many different apps and have come to the conclusion that it is not the app per-se but rather the artist and how he can manipulate that app to get his/her look right.

This probably doesn't help and I am not sure why I typed it but my objects definately started looking better after learning a little about incidence values, though they are still far from perfect :)