PDA

View Full Version : No more Motion Path Settings!!!???

mdunakin
09-05-2010, 06:40 PM
No more Motion Path Settings!!!???
Someone told me recently, after I kept searching alll over the place in several of the later builds of LW just trying to see IF I could find the deal that I finally found back in LW9.2, which was where the default setting for a motion path is to ONLY let you see the part of the motion path on either side of where ever you are currently at in time in the animation in the Layout view ports, or camera view ports.

What's the deal?
WHY! would they get rid of such a valuable thing? :cursin: ... if they did, I mean? ;)
And if they didn't, then great, awesome, but where the living daylights did they hide the thing, for Pete's sake!? LOL
I've been looking for it for ages now and am "trying" to make a tutorial for someone, but it won't be of any use if they can't see the FULL motion path.

OK< please, someone tell me it's really still there, just for some strange reason, someone decided it was best to stash it away from sight of anyone searching for it?
Tell me that, right? ;)

thanx all...............................md :)

Mr Rid
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Well, you can click on Path Tool to see a whole path. I may be wrong but I vaguely recall there was a pref value you could change in the config (in a text editor) somewhere that would change the amount of the viewable path.

mdunakin
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Hmm.. maybe that's what it was?
I know before I knew how to do all this and even told my friend how to set it so she could see the full path, and her's were several miles of paths, so she really needed to be able to see the whole thing for certain things.
In any case, she recently told me when I asked her, that the last version that did this was LW9.2 and I opened that version and I added a null and moved it about and was able to see the full path of 300 frames, which was what I used for all the tests.

thanx, I'll get back here and post any further findings I have and also I would hope to see if anyone else knows about such things to also post what they know on the matter?

..............md :)

jeric_synergy
09-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Yes, you can put in a larger amount under a parameter called "Quickframessomethingsomething" to extend the path.

I know it works up to 300 frames, but don't go crazy w/the number, apparently 30000 doesn't work.

zardoz
09-06-2010, 02:28 AM
I know this is diferent but I use it a lot. Just add it to the 'Add Custom Object' and you will have a path all the time
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1353

mdunakin
09-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Well, I thought of the config file as where maybe I might have set this
for myself way back when, and yes, I checked that out, it's called:
QuickMotionPathFrames

And mine was already default to 40k, so it had plenty of room to view the thing and I've always been able to in the past show scenes with tens of thousands of frames in them all at the same time, from starting point to ending point.

My friend, she does flight path recreation and she still has to use LW9.2 if she needs to seriously view the motion paths, cuz like I say, she told me they stopped letting it work after that version, which seems to be the case?

So, that is just sad if they really did disable this, which it truly seems like they have?
I am still hoping that someone here just sees this as me missing something obvious, but I've really searched and searched, but nothing yet.
I just downloaded that lscript that is listed just above and will test that out, but that isn't right that LW already did this sort of (what you'd expect from LW) and now no longer seems to, sad :(

..................md :)

mdunakin
09-06-2010, 03:53 PM
500 frames in both programs using the same settings.
The first, I merely add the null and set time to 500 frames.
I move to the last frame and move the null to auto key and there is the full path.
You can see where I make another key frame at something like
300 to prove that it use to default to goodness hehe

http://www.www.md-arts.com/lw/MPathShowing_LW92_01.JPG

This next image, this is CORE 64bit 10 2016 latest build.
Same settings of 40,000 and even 4,000,000.
Doesn't make any difference in either OLG display
or movements or anything else, much less the motion path LOL
Just wanted to mention that so you know I did try all those settings :)

http://www.www.md-arts.com/lw/MPathShowing_LW102016_01.JPG

.............md :)

jeric_synergy
09-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Do me a favor: try 1200 frames, not 40,000.
Bigger ain't always better. :bday:

zareh
09-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi,

LightWave use to draw the entire path once you'd let go of the frame slider. This was a great workflow feature since you could see the entire path for an object or the camera but when you were scrubbing back and forth you would only see a part of the path set by the variable in your config file to maintain quick interactivity. No plugin, LScript or custom object was needed to accomplish this. So far I've found no plugin, LScript or custom object that can duplicate this exact behavior either. This feature is currently broken. Version 9.3.1 works fine, but some time after that it stopped working. Here is a video to show what use to happen and what happens now.

Best Regards,
Zareh

jeric_synergy
09-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Are you guys even trying the 1200 frames setting? 'Cuz that works here.

It's not a complete solution, but it will show you the entire motion path. (Doesn't do limited stuff for improved interactivity, no.)

Michael North
03-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Which and were is thee config file?

I found "MotionPathPostFrames"
in the -Layout 1015.3- file
I'm I getting close?
:)

jeric_synergy
03-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Something along those lines. :) There's another current/fossil thread resurrected which has more info.

+++++
Wait, now there's THREE threads. :devil: