PDA

View Full Version : ::: How Do I Create A Embossed Surface From An Image :::

syncro
09-19-2003, 04:19 AM
I would like to use an image to create a raised surface detail on a piece of plastic casing (manufacturers details & spec), how do i do it...... I have tried using a EPS file and extruding it, but aside from creating too many points it also confuses itself when it comes up against compound paths...

PLEASE PLEASE HELP . . . .

freedik
09-19-2003, 05:00 AM
one way that comes to my mind is to create a really dense mesh, take it to layout, apply LW_TextureDisplacement to it under object properties, with your image. Then "save transformed object", and your object will have geometry created by texturedisplacement. Then run Gemloss or smth to clean it out a bit.
In fact, you don't have to have save transformed object if you don't need actual geometry. It might work just fine with displacement only.

That's if you want things done real fast but not clean. To be honest I never used this method myself, only tried.

Matt
09-19-2003, 05:20 AM
or use a bump map . . .

syncro
09-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Matt
or use a bump map . . .

BUT HOW DO I DO THAT IT... the book doesn't really explain how.... it says what it is (once you get the right terminology) but not how....

hrgiger
09-19-2003, 07:29 AM
A bump map is simply a black and white image. Like the image that Matt just created, all that is would be a white background with black text. It usually helps to blur the image somewhat (not a lot) for a smoother effect. Wherever black is on the image, the surface will recede and it will emerge where there is white. It doesn't matter how darks your dark are or how light your whites, it's actually the difference between the values that the bump map is looking for which is why blurring the image helps. Your bump will have an intermediary where the surfaces are blurred and give you a beveled look.

Keep in mind that a bump map is merely a trick of the render. If you were to look at an object turned sideways, that had a bump map, the object would look flat and the bump would disappear. Bump maps are usually good whenever either the detail is relativelyl small or if the camera isn't going to get extremely close and rotate around the object.