PDA

View Full Version : Toaster Questions...

cornbreadandham
02-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Hello, I am considering buying the VideoToaster. I am currently using a Pinnacle DV500 and am just curious if I will notice a difference in image quality should I make the switch. I received a VT demo tape, and was quite impressed with all the tools. How different is Speedrazor from Adobe Premiere? How does VT integrate with After Effects, Combustion, and DFX as I am also looking for a compositing program. Does VT have its own tools for DVD creation, or will it work with the software I already own (Sonic)? Thanks in advance for your help, and I'm sure I will have more...

Todd

Danner
02-28-2003, 03:09 AM
Yes you will notice a difference in image quality, t2 quality is amazing.
If you are like me, you will not use speed razor much and stick to toaster edit, it's fast, fun, modern but a bit odd, it is about to get a big overhaul, (toaster 3 has been anounced in safeharbour and most updates seem to be to toaster edit, batch capture and things like that)

VT integrates nicely to afterFX and DFX, (no idea on combustion) the loading and saving of images is very fast (waaay fast compared to my old perception) and previews are played on TV monitor.
For DVD you will need some extra tools, there is a pluggin for TsunamiMpeg so it reads toaster files directly. you could also use the Avi wrapper to use toaster files in other appss. after that you'll need dvd authoring.

slacker
02-28-2003, 07:02 AM
The Toaster has framebuffer support for Combustion, so you can view your comps on your monitor. You can also save directly to the Toaster RTV format from combustion (although sans alpha channel).

Regards,

Joel Slack
Media Department, New Life Christian Fellowship

Munthe
04-14-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm also checking VT out. I wouldn't call opening clips from VT in AE "integration". That's just an export/import procedure.

The way I work right now is using FCP3 with the Automatic Duck AAF plugin. This enables me to open FCP timelines in AE with every clip presented as a separate layer. Since most of my jobs involves 400+ clips it is critical to get this integration working seamlessly and with minimal labor. A 450 clip FCP timeline exported to AE takes 5 minutes using this setup. If I had to import every clip into AE placing them back to back it would take med days...

Faraz
04-14-2003, 03:07 PM
The Toaster can also output the compisition window in AE to a NTSC or PAL monitor. That does help out a ton, in checking safe area and colors.

SBowie
04-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Nevertheless, AAF support would be certainly nice, even for those who don't use AE.

tmon
04-14-2003, 03:36 PM
Keeping the layers separate on the import into AE is huge.
If it is AAF that allows for this, then that is yet another argument for AAF to be implemented in the VT[x] suite.

So, I take it, VT[3]'s "AVI wrapper" just takes the whole timeline as one big composited AVI into the second party apps?

SBowie
04-14-2003, 03:41 PM
That's my understanding...

Munthe
04-15-2003, 03:17 AM
Faraz: I come from an Apple background so I'm spoiled silly with QuickTime hardware integration (and a wide choice of third party uncompressed options). Every card on the market can output video from every app supporting QT. And all video apps has to support QT on Macs since QT is the graphics engine in the macOS. I'm currently an owner of two Igniter Studios and a CinťWave SD. I use these cards (out to a ref monitor) with FCP, Premiere, CineStream, AE, Photoshop, BTVPro, Cleaner, QuickTime Player, Icarus and Shake. I don't even have to have an app open to use the cards. I can press play on the file icon in Finder and the content of the file is played out to my ref monitor. So integration means something else when your on a Mac then if your on a PC.

The only things Macs lack are rendering speed. And I'm in need for speed so that's why I'm looking into VT.

RomainR
04-15-2003, 08:05 AM
Any video file that bears the toaster Icon gets outputed when played when the T[2] app is not running.

tmon
04-15-2003, 01:50 PM
Munthe,

I agree QT integration is nice. BTW, I'm really jealoous about the implementation of AAF and importation of multiple layers into AE.

Go to a VT[3] dealer and get a demo on a hot rod system.
If it's speed you're after, you should be very impressed.

Also, make sure to check out the multithreading rendering - blazing fast!

Not only that, but because the VT[3] magic is done in software, processes keep getting faster with every build, with or without with computer hardware technology advances.

For what VT[3] does, the software suite, the live-switching capabilities (with a BOB), Aura (TV?) Paint and now a professional grade version of Lightwave, D1 uncompressed and true realtime transitions (and the ability to create your own), it's a pretty good deal.

Also, the level of support, and the generosity of the community is amazing.

Dan Hong
04-15-2003, 05:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the term "rendering". Isn't that when you boil animal fat to make lard?

Actually, today I had to open an After Effects project to make a change to a spot that I did 2 years ago. I only had to re-render the tag, about 7 seconds. It took over 8 minutes to do. Thankfully, I attached the tag to the original spot in VT Edit, or I'd have had to re-render the whole thing.

Have I mentioned that I love this thing?

tmon
04-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Yeh, rendering meaning "encode," not rendering of effects (what's that?)!

I was referring to being able to "encode" multiple WMV, AVI or whatever codec files simultaneously out of VT-edit.

Too frikkin' cool.

There are a few more features on all of our wish lists, but the bragging rights list of rhetorical "can your system do this" questions is already pretty long, eh?

And no, not on this thread, you didn't mention that you loved this thing.

(P.S. Cornbread - with VT[3], most of us will be using TMPG to encode our MPEG2 files and then yes, you can use whatever DVD app you want).

ted
04-15-2003, 09:54 PM
To hell with all this rendering and authoring BS!!!:mad:

Today I ordered a Phillips Stand Alone DVD+R from Curtis @ Pro Video & Sound.
For under $700.00, now I can just play the video ďREAL TIMEĒ and record to the DVD like another VTR.

It may not have all the menu options that some programs have, but all I need at the most is to set-up 1 to 5 menus with the clientís projects. Usually just a single Menu.

Now I can afford to charge a reasonable dub fee and make DVDís as quickly as a Beta Dub.

Itís funny that in just the last month, Iíve had more requests for DVDís then in as long as Iíve owned the business.

Rich Deustachio
04-15-2003, 10:14 PM
I did the same thing Ted, except I bought a Panasonic DMR-E30 for about $500. The quality looks fantastic and the real time is a great feature. I use it for my event customers and also many corporate customers who need marketing DVDs for their sales staff to show.

Jim Capillo
04-16-2003, 04:19 AM
Same here..... I have the Panasonic DMR-HS2 with the 40 gig HD in it. Also got it hooked to the cable so I can burn "Enterprise" every week. Can't miss Jolene Blalock........ :D

tmon
04-16-2003, 01:48 PM
How the heck did we get from a question about the Pinnacle DV500 vs VT[3] to Jolene Blalock??!??!?!?

:)

Jim Capillo
04-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Who cares ????? :D :p :D

http://www.joleneblalockonline.com/

tmon
04-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Something tells me, Jim, that with you, all threads have the potential to end at Jolene Blalock!

:D

Jim Capillo
04-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Uh-huh !!!! :D :p :D :cool: