PDA

View Full Version : Rendering in passes

sampei
09-05-2010, 02:46 AM
so I finally started to render in passes, using the render buffer export image filter, I was wondering if somebody can point me towards a tutorial or briefly explain the standard procedure of compositing different passes in Photoshop. Also, in the filter I don't see the ambient occlusion option, do I have to use the occlusion node to obtain this, meaning that if my scene includes many different surfaces I will have to create a new object with only one surface? thanks in advance :)

MooseDog
09-05-2010, 05:29 AM
hope this helps (http://tinyurl.com/24upkpc)

:D

sampei
09-05-2010, 07:56 AM
:oye:
apparently I should have stated I already searched google but didn't find much LW info on multipass r except some old threads and some commercial plug-ins...and yes, I realize compositing applies to every package. thanks anyway ;)

sampei
09-06-2010, 07:31 AM
thanks mega, Ill see if I can get my hands on that number of hdr3d magazine mentioned on the threads :thumbsup:

rsfd
09-07-2010, 06:38 AM
…Also, in the filter I don't see the ambient occlusion option, do I have to use the occlusion node to obtain this, meaning that if my scene includes many different surfaces I will have to create a new object with only one surface…

If you create your surfaces with nodes, you can include AO into the materials (you can then set the range per surface).
If you want a single AO pass, a helper to avoid duplicates of all objects would be db&w shaderMeister (http://www.db-w.com/content/view/126/116/).
It's commercial, but not very expensive.
Or you have a look at Denis Pontonnier's Filter Nodes (http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/DP_Filter.html).
(in this case you should try to get your hands on HDRI3D Magazine #30 with a detailed report from Gerardo Estrada).

sampei
09-07-2010, 07:37 AM
great info guys, much appreciated. Im liking the video tutorial and I definetly will try and get my hands on the magazine, it seems like a really good read.

djlithium
09-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey Sampei.
Two videos that I have right now specifically deal with exrTrader and render passes comped in Fusion.
One attempts to do "everything in a single pass" which isn't optimal but it does work. That video is My DP Custom Light tutorial vid. The other is the one I just released this past week called "Practical Production Techniques, Vol. One"
Both detail buffer uses and examples, how to get them out of LW and then how to composite them in an application like Fusion (with my vids you get the stuff I render out so you can use it right away).
As for Ambient Occ, yes I have to agree rsfd is right here, I would make use of ShaderMiester for generating an AmbOcc pass, but I have another technique which you can use with ShaderMiester that I call RadiOcc. It uses Lightwave's Radiosity or the DP Dome light for those passes instead of a shader, combined with ShaderMiester to over ride the color of the objects - giving you a much more controllable set up that renders much faster.

If you choose to pick up the vids, here is a discount code that you can use on my products when you check out at the counter in our store section.
This is a limited time offer thing. First 100 coupons used get 35% off, after that it expires. More videos on this are on the way. My original shot lighting, set up, break out and rendering tutorial using the BSG techniques from 3.5 years ago that I wrote will be combined and put into a video specifically dealing with this, but will be updated for modern techniques which have come along since the release of Denis P. and db&w tools. Don't worry, I will cover the oldschool way of doing it as well.

Here is the Coupon Code - LibertyBTSSALE

geo_n
09-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Check out the bsg tutorial at kurv.
The ones that deal with passes most is lighting and rendering, centurions, liveactioncg.
Well I suggest you get all vids from djlithium besides those I mentioned. Many tricks to learn.

djlithium - Just got the vids from liberty. Just watched planet tutorial. Excellent tips. Just one thing though. The vid is highres 1920x1080 I think but at that size the text on lw is not very readable. Just a suggestion maybe go down some res because lw buttons can`t be edited to have bigger text and buttons. I don`t know if it can maybe someone knows.
Its very readable at 1440 or even 1600 aspect. Looking forward to the next effects videos from bsg.

sampei
09-08-2010, 07:24 AM
thanks dj and geo for the replies, at the moment Im trying to figure out DP's nodes but I will definetly try and check out the vids at liberty and kurv. The shadermeister looks really great but Im afraid I cant afford it at the moment.
glad I opened the thread, the support board never lets down. :thumbsup:

djlithium
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
thanks dj and geo for the replies, at the moment Im trying to figure out DP's nodes but I will definetly try and check out the vids at liberty and kurv. The shadermeister looks really great but Im afraid I cant afford it at the moment.
glad I opened the thread, the support board never lets down. :thumbsup:

My videos are only available from Liberty3d.com now, so don't bother looking for anything at Kurv of mine.
I will be redoing most of that subject matter anyway, but without the constraints/problems of the webinar format, so just hang tight and more vidi goodness will come.

Kurv should also not be selling any of my videos at all any more, so if you by chance find a link to them anywhere on their site please let me know.

djlithium
09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Check out the bsg tutorial at kurv.
The ones that deal with passes most is lighting and rendering, centurions, liveactioncg.
Well I suggest you get all vids from djlithium besides those I mentioned. Many tricks to learn.

djlithium - Just got the vids from liberty. Just watched planet tutorial. Excellent tips. Just one thing though. The vid is highres 1920x1080 I think but at that size the text on lw is not very readable. Just a suggestion maybe go down some res because lw buttons can`t be edited to have bigger text and buttons. I don`t know if it can maybe someone knows.
Its very readable at 1440 or even 1600 aspect. Looking forward to the next effects videos from bsg.

Hey there again :)
Yes the video resolution is a bit high for some and it is causing us some issues for downloads because they are pretty big, but I find that its best to have this resolution because it matches my desktop and everything "feels" spacious and less cramped. If you haven't noticed I have a lot of windows open at all times and that gets cluttering - I use dual monitors at 1920x1200, so I pull them in off from the side. Still it does get a little crowded at times. I may experiment a bit with 1440x1200 or 960x600 or something like that. But thank you for the comments on the vid resolution.

K-Dawg
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I was thinking about getting the Compositing video with the sale, but unfortunately my PayPal account doesn't work and I just can't get it back. I can't register a new one and the support just sucks. :(

djlithium
09-08-2010, 02:45 PM
That's goofy for sure. Usually paypal is pretty good about stuff like that.

Have you tried "not" using paypal but just putting in a CC number instead?

K-Dawg
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Nope I don't have a CC and here it isn't a common thing to have.

djlithium
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Ah ok, that explains the need for a paypal account then with the eCheck thing.
Hmm... not sure what to do there. hrrmmm.... Thinking kat for the k-dawg....

Phil
09-09-2010, 01:31 AM
Nope I don't have a CC and here it isn't a common thing to have.

Yep. That catches many people out coming to Germany :D I'm currently working with a large number of ex-pat US folk and they were completely blown away by the lack of support for credit cards. They are also very concerned that they are expected to simply hand over their bank details to utility firms (electricity, gas, etc.) and the companies will take the money out of the account every month.

PayPal is also not very helpful - they *still* have no support for bank accounts in more than one country and you cannot open multiple PayPal accounts against a single email address. It's stunning how these large multinational firms still work with the mindset that only one country exists and that no-one ever moves around the globe.

sampei
09-09-2010, 02:35 PM
just ordered a couple of hdri3d mags including the one with Gerardo's article. Looking forward to learning some new tricks.

Lightwolf
09-09-2010, 03:07 PM
:offtopic:

They are also very concerned that they are expected to simply hand over their bank details to utility firms (electricity, gas, etc.) and the companies will take the money out of the account every month.

Which isn't a problem as you can cancel any money transfer up to 8 weeks later (and you get the money back as well) - just call your bank.

Cheers,
Mike

bazsa73
09-12-2010, 02:12 PM
just ordered a couple of hdri3d mags including the one with Gerardo's article. Looking forward to learning some new tricks.

Good luck, and keep it simple. Most of the time you'll realise that you don't need all the fancy passes.

djlithium
09-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Yup, you can really simplify the passes down to the base minimum and usually get the same results you are looking for.