PDA

View Full Version : Tim Dunn - Abstract Art

Buri Studios
09-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Hello all!

I had the pleasure of watching Tim Dunn teach a number of us how to create unique abstract art and I've been using that to come up with some fun, interesting things.

Later on he did another free training video on High Refraction Art or something to that affect but it never got put up on VFX cast (because it was recorded in HD and VFX cast had problems with it).

I've been trying to get my hands on these training videos for over a year now with no success. I would be willing to pay for them by now... does anybody happen to have them saved to their computer?

I stress that this training session was free, I'm not trying to circumvent any fees. I just cannot get my hands on the blasted video and nobody seems to have it. PLEASE help me.

prometheus
09-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Donīt know were it is or if it is available?..But send Tim a private message here or over att www.spinquad.com

Michael

aurora
09-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Well, that's a dang good question. They 'should' all be available via Kurv and/or VFXcast. Although I have to admit I am not active on VFXCast, I should be, but alas its that damn school eating all my time stinken thing.

So what specifically are you looking for? Twenty bucks says which ever it is its outta data unless its the High Recursion Art stuff. The reason I ask is I'm already working on someone elses request to do a Blender particleFX bit in LW. So as my favorite quote hints at, 'Why do just one when I can do two for twice the time'?

Mind you I will be in the mocap lab all day fighting Cortex, what a piece of crap app for mocap, I HATE IT. Of course part of that is our fault, we are recording at 240hz and have bars in the way, and need one more camera, only have 5, right now.

Buri Studios
09-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Thank you for your replies!

I sent a private message a long time ago but it must have gotten lost at the post office ;) Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining at ALL! Haha, I've done stuff like that all the time (glance at the message in the middle of a project or whatnot, not have enough time to answer it at the moment, and then forget about it later haha).

Yea all of the original abstract videos are up (part one through six) but then you did the High Recursion Art tutorial and I signed up and everything but got scheduled for work :/ Which was a HUGE bummer because I really loved your first abstract art tutorial and was pumped for another source of inspiration. I use your techniques to work on being technical and creative simultaneously because that's always been a challenge for me where 3d art is concerned.

So in short I was looking for the High Recursion Art. You were using particles and the like I believe although it has been over a year so my memory is a little sketchy.

By the way Tim I thought you'd like to see some of what your teaching has resulted in, "http://buristudios.com/blog/?page_id=7". Pretty much everything at the top of that page (3d art --> Abstract) is a direct result of what you taught me. I just wanted to say thanks so much for hosting those lessons, I REALLY really appreciated it and it's helped me a lot! :)

Hope all goes well at work :D

prometheus
09-07-2010, 01:17 AM
Nice abstract art there Buri:thumbsup:

I would suggest you to try and make some more of that stuff but with a little more variations on the image composition, as they are now, they are very much symmetric reflected, just a suggestion to give the composition
a little more contrast and conflict within itself.

Michael

Buri Studios
09-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey Michael,

Thanks! Didn't plan on anybody else checking the link out but I do appreciate the compliments and especially the critiques! I'm such a symmetry guy but that's something that I need to break away from I agree ;)

I always try to trade crit for crit but the most recent piece of work I found from you on these forums was in 2008 and it was your star nebula's. I must say those are pretty inspiring! I've always loved space (learning about it, looking at pictures of it) and I'd say those are some awesome renders of it you managed to create! Nicely done :)

prometheus
09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey Michael,

Thanks! Didn't plan on anybody else checking the link out but I do appreciate the compliments and especially the critiques! I'm such a symmetry guy but that's something that I need to break away from I agree ;)

I always try to trade crit for crit but the most recent piece of work I found from you on these forums was in 2008 and it was your star nebula's. I must say those are pretty inspiring! I've always loved space (learning about it, looking at pictures of it) and I'd say those are some awesome renders of it you managed to create! Nicely done :)

Thanks, if I only could have worked some more with that stuff, but at that time, my computer was giving me hard time due to hardware errors, and I just couldnīt work with it properly so all that stuff and my planned videotutorials became on a hold status.

between october 2006 and october 2009 I had economic troubles since I became unemployed and after that I only had temporary jobs, working three months in summer and 3 months in winter so I couldnīt afford investing in a new computer.

All that has changed now, my economy has improved and Iīm employed since october 2009 as an illustrator and Iīm doing product renders of gym machines, so Im getting back in business soon again.

I just recently spent a buckload on a new machine, Im just missing the power supply and the memory sticks, wich I belive I will buy this week.

So I have since 2008 not really been able to utilize the power of lightwave and my own mind together.
And at work Im busy with other work that arenīt near as exciting to do thou.
My work stuff wonīt really be shown here until Im clear on what to show and when Im permitted to do so from the company.

But I do beleive Ill be back on the horse for nebula and etheral background stuff, voxel spins with hypervoxels on geometry, some lyapunov tweaking and more very soon.

you might check me on spinquad also, but my alias is phamarus over there..not much there either thou, some sun texturing with voxels, and some lyapunov backgrounds.

http://vimeo.com/user680656/videos/sort:plays

Michael

Buri Studios
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
:O Michael those vortex particle spins are AMAZING!!!

prometheus
09-08-2010, 12:15 AM
:O Michael those vortex particle spins are AMAZING!!!

Thanks, I think I made a description on spinquad on how the technique works somewhere, and I had planned to do free video tutorial on that, but it was halted due to my hardware issues at that time, when I get my new computer up and running within these following weeks, Ill see if I can get the time to do them.

Itīs basicly a simple geometric shape, such as halfe of a sphere a dome, wich is subdivided by subdiv surfaces, so i control the amount of vertexes/points by the display options for that in layout, using vertices viewport mode will give you a proper approximation on how it would look if they were particles.

Then itīs a matter of adding hypervoxel sprites without hypertextures, and get a feel for balancing hv particle size and hv density and amount of vertices when raising subdivision levels.
Procedural ripple is used on the deform channel to animate it.

Thereīs a difference between setting it up with viper and the display subdiv level, and rendering final big sizes with camera, you need to match
render subdiv level against what is set up in display subdiv level.

But Ill get more in to that hopefully soon if my new computer will work nicely.
Ps..im not sure but I think that maybe Tim has made a video of something like that, maybe not exactly that, but with the basic principles.

Michael

Buri Studios
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
^thanks for that :)

So uh... have I been forgotten Tim? Any links or anything? :D

aurora
09-13-2010, 10:14 PM
No not forgotten, we have been dealing with a couple huge fires the past week and a half which has been sucking extra time I never really had to start with.
I had a very short chat with Wes this afternoon but alas, he is on vacation and I caught right as he was going to try some guys nuts. And yes we did have a little fun with that comment. Will try to get the link info from him along with other asap.

Are you just after the one High Recursion Art with Lyapunov textured HV's? I'm assuming thats the one you are looking for.

Buri Studios
09-13-2010, 11:42 PM
I hope your able to get those resolved without too much trouble! I do appreciate the effort :)

Yes that is primarily the one I was after although if anyone happens to have a high resolution recording of your original abstract art video tutorials I would greatly appreciate those as well. Unfortunately the uploaded ones have such poor quality when enlarged that it's absolutely impossible to garner any settings from it which can make things tricky to comprehend at times ;)

Thank you so much again :D

aurora
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Have not talked with Wes any more the past couple days, hopefully this weekend. However I have not found anything that is better then what you described, quality wise. If you can wait a little longer, as in 0 time before next Tues night. I'll try to do a quick write up of the procedure. Me thinks its time to do some new quick tut vids.

Buri Studios
09-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Thank you so, so much Tim! I really appreciate it :)