PDA

View Full Version : A good anti-virus

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 09:44 AM
hello all
my AVG licence expires on the 13th and before i decide to buy a new one (1 year) i was woundering if there is a better anti virus out there
what anti-viruses do you guys use? :)
thanks in advance

eagleeyed
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I used to use AVG, however realised it was not picking up a few things.

For everyday browsing protection I use Avast! Antivirus (I use the Paid), the free one just doesnt have realtime monitoring.
You can find it here: http://www.avast.com

I also highly recommend you keep this program in memory. Not once has this program failed to remove a virus on a family or friend's computer, free version is fine. I just do a full scan when I feel like it (every 2 weeks to a month) just to be on the safe side.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It even removed the latest version of that horrible XP Antivirus program (a malware thats discuised as a antivirus, tricks lots of home users), and that one is typically a cow to get off.

I generally use this more as a removal tool, not a detect tool though. Avast! does a good enough job.

Titus
09-03-2010, 10:38 AM
hello all
my AVG licence expires on the 13th and before i decide to buy a new one (1 year) i was woundering if there is a better anti virus out there
what anti-viruses do you guys use? :)
thanks in advance

AVG is slow and can draw you system to a halt when scanning for baddies. I recently downladed the freee Microsoft security essentials and it works fine.

Buy Kaspersky or NOD32 if you're looking for something better.

Derrick_SA
09-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I like Trend Micro Internet Security

- Derrick

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 11:17 AM
ok cool
thanks every one fore all the info :)

Cougar12dk
09-03-2010, 11:20 AM
I use Avast! as well and since I bought it, nothing has bothered my computer.

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 11:22 AM
on the subject of anit viruses
i did a virus scan (its just finished now) i did it with AVG
an i have 94 warnings which all say "found tracking kooky..."
is that bad haha? (when it comes to virus stuff i have no idea)

Shnoze Shmon
09-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I use Spyware Doctor at home.

It has heuristic protection , and can remove rootkits. Most security software can only tell you a rootkit is there. It can also stop/cure the Vundo Trojan while all but about 3 or 4 security suites can only tell you your being infected and that you are infected.

Alternatively, Kaspersky is a good option.

Don't waist your money on McAfee, Symantic, Bit Defender. I can personally vouch for their worthlessness.

Cougar12dk
09-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Re: McAfee and Symantec.... they are more trouble than they are worth (to me at least). If I wanted a nagging ***** telling me something is wrong every 5 minutes, I'd buy an F-16 :D

crashnburn
09-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Having looked at a lot of reviews I settled in Bit Defender. I found Avast annoying after a while. too in my face. Bit defender is a lot more subtle and has 3 levels of control. Be careful of special offers that run out after 6 months.

Cougar12dk
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I hardly ever have a message from Avast. Maybe because I am not clicking links to dubious sites, sent to me by bots, like a blind man as often as I have done in the past. The maker(s) of the bots had stolen emails from people or organisations I have had email correspondances with and were mass destributing their bullocks.
One of the emails looked like an email from a friend I had shared links with earlier, so I didn't think twice when I got that email.

Well.... I learned my lesson and always check the adress of the link by hovering the mouse over it, before I click it. But ....I suppose it's only a matter of time before some arsehoule *spelled wrong on purpose :)* finds a way to disguise that too :(

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
@crashnburn: ooh i hate Bit defender
whenever its updated go on forever hahaha
@Cougar12dk haha ye i to sometimed get thos stupid links haha they really anoy me

Dodgy
09-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I switched to Microsoft security essentials, as AVG has been getting bloat worthy. MSE has been getting good reviews (strange though that seems) and is free.

steamthunk
09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
+1 for Microsoft Security Essentials. My ISP (Comcast) also provides Norton Anti-Virus for free, but that thing always seems to eat up more resources than I care to give up.

hrgiger
09-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I use ESET Smart security. http://www.eset.com/home/smart-security

Hopper
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I won't add to the myriad of recommendations simply because most of the ones mentioned work as well as one could expect. However, I will go out of my way to recommend that you definitely stay way from any Norton products. Admittedly, Norton products used to be one of my favorites, until the whole Symantec debacle. Hell, I still have Peter Norton's first book "Inside the IBM PC" (still a good read).

<rant>
But by all definitions, the Norton AntiVirus product IS a virus. It takes up half your resources, keeps your system from running correctly, bothers the living shít out of you all day and it's almost impossible to remove without totally hosing your system. And god forbid you're a developer running source code and debuggers all day. It will pop up like jack russell terrier every 30 seconds warning you that you're doing your job and it doesn't feel like being alone at the moment.
</rant>

ok .. I feel better now ... sry.

TripD
09-03-2010, 11:11 PM
^ ROFLMAO! I gave up on Nohton when I couldn't uninstall it to reinstall it to make it complete it's scans after 3 calls to tech support.

I have been using the free version of McAfee that I got from my isp provider. No probs or regrets, but I stay clear of iffy sites to be sure.

bazsa73
09-04-2010, 12:41 AM
I dislike Norton too. Irritating software.

Lamont
09-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Vote for MSE. Came from 4+ years of Eset on all my computers.

cresshead
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
good anti virus?

Linux, osx

MooseDog
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
good anti virus?

Linux, osx

+1 :beerchug:

cresshead
09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
or use a kindle!

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/kindle-3-420x551.jpg

MooseDog
09-05-2010, 06:13 PM
or use a kindle!

-1 : kill switch :)

stevmjon
09-05-2010, 08:29 PM
<rant>
at work, we used VET anti-virus (cough). been using this forever.

all our computers had something wrong with them. no sound , couldn't open word / excell anymore , systems slowing down , etc, etc.

our floor manager decided to use Kaspserky anti-virus, and every computer had viruses on them. after the scan, all systems began to work normally. thank-you Kaspersky ant-virus & the floor manager for installing it.
</rant>

stevmjon

inkpen3d
09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Definitely go for Kaspersky. Small resources footprint and better detection spec than the other bloatware products like Norton or McAfee - and it's priced quite reasonably. I've been using it for the past 4 years on my machines after getting sick and tired of McAfee.

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Use Nornton, Pitbull, or ClamXav. those are the only ones i would trust my computer with.

cagey5
09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
+1 :beerchug:

+2. Rarely go on t'internet with Windows now.

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I won't add to the myriad of recommendations simply because most of the ones mentioned work as well as one could expect. However, I will go out of my way to recommend that you definitely stay way from any Norton products. Admittedly, Norton products used to be one of my favorites, until the whole Symantec debacle. Hell, I still have Peter Norton's first book "Inside the IBM PC" (still a good read).

<rant>
But by all definitions, the Norton AntiVirus product IS a virus. It takes up half your resources, keeps your system from running correctly, bothers the living shít out of you all day and it's almost impossible to remove without totally hosing your system. And god forbid you're a developer running source code and debuggers all day. It will pop up like jack russell terrier every 30 seconds warning you that you're doing your job and it doesn't feel like being alone at the moment.
</rant>

ok .. I feel better now ... sry.

you're right, but pitbull and ClamXav are really good.

sbrandt
09-07-2010, 04:56 PM
KASPERSKY
Can't be tricked.
(At least so far... [five years])

speismonqui
09-07-2010, 05:29 PM
how about Comodo? Works fine (not great), but its free... the firewall popups is a real pain.

speismonqui
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Vote for MSE. Came from 4+ years of Eset on all my computers.

no xp 64bit version, neither AVG, Avast, etc... I really like Xp64 but once again Microsoft sucks with their suppot. How come you make a windows version and completely forget about it.
I hate Microsoft almost the same as 3ds max.

...well... maybe not :D

SonicN2O
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM

...well... maybe not :D

me to.:D GO APPLE!!!

Lamont
09-11-2010, 03:03 AM
no xp 64bit version, neither AVG, Avast, etc... I really like Xp64 but once again Microsoft sucks with their suppot. How come you make a windows version and completely forget about it.

...well... maybe not :DI was glad to get rid of XP64 (using from Summer 2005 to Fall 2008). Go to Vista or 7. Runs better than XP64 hands down.

Cougar12dk
09-11-2010, 03:18 AM
Indeed, XP64 was a heap of crap. I had it for a couple of years, before I switched to Vista....and later Win7 x64. I've not regretted switching away from XP x64 one second. Nor have I regretted getting away from Vista.

Win7 x64 works a treat and I've no problems with it at all.

Lamont
09-11-2010, 07:33 AM
good anti virus?

Linux, osxLinux and OSX need anti-virus too. Having a machine send out and spread viri because it can't detect it is just as bad. From my experience, Mac users are the worse. Linux users are like unicorns: you really don't see them, just read about them in books, so they are off the hook kinda.

The internet is a big club (or a pub for those of your who don't fancy clubs). You're sitting at the bar and OSX or Linux come over. You buy them a drink... keep talking. They look clean, they smell clean and run like a Kenyan track-star. So you get a few drinks in you and you let Linux and OSX into your network... little did you know that Linux and OSX were arrogant thinking they can email, download stuff and surf the net without a care in the world, loading up with viri that may not execute on their machine, BUT their files are infected. Connecting to any internet hotspot they can get themselves into, stealing internets from open wi-fi, going from home to office, doing some bittorrent or whatever Mac users do... not paying attention to if they have shares on or not, just plugging in and swapping drives here and there.

Tried hard to think of a PG-13 way of saying it without calling OSX and Linux dirty prostitutes immune to the diseases they carry. The above is the best I can come up with.:devil:

But it comes down to this: Windows users have to protect themselves from "other OS" users just as well from other Windows users. Back when I worked with a video editor, his Mac had more viri than any Windows machine in the office... combined, and there were 20+ Windows machines on the network.

Tzan
09-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Avast free version

Malwarebytes

Firefox browser + NoScript, Prevents you from clicking on a page and getting something DLed to your machine. A bit of a hassle for random surfing, because you need to manually allow pages to run scripts.

ThriJ
09-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I have been fixing computers with virus problems for clients for many years. Here is my 2 cents:

The Best paid for Software to buy for a complete setup is Kaspserky.

Stay away from Norton and Mc-Afee. Just not worth the money.

AVG has not been doing so well in recent years. it takes too much resources and it still misses stuff.

Avast is great. The free version does have real time scanning and you can make the updates silent which nobody thinks to do. The Boot-Time scan is also a great feature in Avast free edition.

Microsoft Security Essentials is surprisingly not bad at doing its job as of late.

The one free antivirus software that still out does everybody is Avira.
Avira catches stuff no other software can catch, but Avira is also the most annoying with the pop-ups asking you to buy the full version.

Here is some of the latest tests of all the main antivirus programs (http://www.av-comparatives.org/)out there. If your antivirus software is not on this list then I recommend you not use it.

The main computer I use with LightWave 3D has no active running antivirus software.:D It is offline and everything goes through many scans before being transferred to it.