PDA

View Full Version : Clock Shot with Tricaster Broadcast

skdvr
09-03-2010, 09:19 AM
OK, I know that this has been asked before but I cannot find a straight forward answer, and most of the threads are pretty old.

So I have a Tricaster Broadcast and I am looking for an explanation on how I can incorporate the running game clock. All I have is the TCB. No live text, or data link. This is a 3 camera shoot so I have plenty of inputs left for a fourth camera to shoot just the clock.

I was thinking that I could make a green graphic with a transparent spot for where I would like the clock, and then key out the green, but I just cannot seem to get this to work.

Does there happen to be a tutorial out there that I cannot find on how to do this.

Thanks
Phil

joseburgos
09-03-2010, 02:49 PM
You can do this with a LiveSet.

skdvr
09-03-2010, 03:06 PM
You can do this with a LiveSet.

Something I can make, or something to buy. I should say something I can make in Photoshop?

I tried messing with the live sets a little bit today I could not really get them figured out. Any help you can throw my way would be appreciated...

Thanks
Phil

bbeanan
09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
something you would buy from Jose B.....

brians0105
09-04-2010, 03:12 PM
We use a clock cutout for our broadcasts with a dedicated clock camera.

We just use a cheap camcorder from Best Buy and lock it down on the scoreboard. I took a sharpie to the camera's LCD screen and drew a rectangle where the clock needs to be positioned.

In our switcher, the LiveSet cuts out the clock and positions it where it needs to be in the graphics.

I uploaded a zip of a Windows Media file to show what I'm talking about. I assume that's what you're trying to accomplish, correct?

Brian

skdvr
09-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah Brian, that is exactly what I am wanting to do. Did you make the cutout? If so can you explain to me how to do it, or how the liveset works. I am fairly new to the TC and have not used any live sets yet.

Thanks for the reply...

Phil

brians0105
09-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Phil,

I created it using Aura (Video Paint) with NewTek's other video switcher, the VT5. Aura does not come with the TriCasters.

Basically once it is created, you have to enable the LiveSet on each of the camera inputs and then it works great.

I'll try to grab the LiveSet file the next time I power up the production truck. You can use that within the TriCaster.

PS - I saw you're in St. Louis. We'll be down in Effingham, IL in a couple of weeks with our production truck. They're not right next door to each other but somewhat close if you wanted to check our setup out.

Brian

skdvr
09-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Yeah, if you don't mind let me know when you are going to be around, and if I can I will run out to Effingham.

I don't think that we have Aura, although I am going to check on Tues. I know that we have Lightwave but I have no idea how to use it...

I appreciate the help.

Phil

skdvr
09-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Sorry, I forgot to post about checking on Aura.

As I thougth, we do not have it. Over the weekend I started thinking that I did remember seeing the box laying around, but I think it is just from looking at it online.

Thanks again for all the help.

Phil

cameraman91569
09-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Phil,

I created it using Aura (Video Paint) with NewTek's other video switcher, the VT5. Aura does not come with the TriCasters.

Basically once it is created, you have to enable the LiveSet on each of the camera inputs and then it works great.

I'll try to grab the LiveSet file the next time I power up the production truck. You can use that within the TriCaster.

PS - I saw you're in St. Louis. We'll be down in Effingham, IL in a couple of weeks with our production truck. They're not right next door to each other but somewhat close if you wanted to check our setup out.

Brian

I'd be interested in taking a look at that FILE too! I'm having the same issue...although I have a clock with Kris Gurrard's skins, but i have to watch the actual time TOO much to make it effective...just can't stay synced with the clock and I one-man-band it!

So if you didn't care to share the file...I'd love to have it too!!!

Oh...can you MOVE it or is it ONLY where you had it on your graphic...as my scorebar is along the top of the screen.

kricher
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Contact Jose and he can make one for you. I used my Jose-made clock shot this weekend and it worked well. It is stationary. Once he makes it, you can't move it around manually. For my example, go to www.defianceathletics.com/video.

brians0105
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I haven't had time to retrieve the LiveSet file yet. Unfortunately, it can't be moved. It is set for where it fits in for our client's graphics package. A new LiveSet would have to be created to position it elsewhere (for graphics at the top of the screen).

I only have Aura (Video Paint) on the VT video switcher, which is in our production truck... and I don't have it all powered up very often except for when we're doing productions, so it's not the easiest thing to go grab the files. But I will try to soon.

Brian

joseburgos
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm having the same issue...although I have a clock with Kris Gurrard's skins, but i have to watch the actual time TOO much to make it effective...just can't stay synced with the clock and I one-man-band it!.

I love Kris' skins and if you like, I could design a LiveSet to incorporate his skins. I could use his theme for the grey base image (or another if you created your own) and make a LiveSet clock that is directly below this base image using a smaller base image and the clock over it. This way the LiveSet matches the look of the skin. A more elaborate method would be to make a replacement base image with a hole cut out the size of the flag and sponsor image. Then the LiveSet clock would show through the hole and only be covered when you use flag, sponsor, replay, touch down, foul, time out and show clock (which you would use any more).
You could take it a step further and have a title with and without the hole or drop down variety this way you can use the one I make you for using the LiveSet clock and then when you don't want to, you just use the regular base image and press show clock once you catch up.
I also add an alignment shot to the LiveSet to make sure the clock lines up perfectly in the LiveSet.

Call or email me if you are interested.
[email protected]

PIZAZZ
09-14-2010, 02:48 PM
I love Kris' skins and if you like, I could design a LiveSet to incorporate his skins. I could use his theme for the grey base image (or another if you created your own) and make a LiveSet clock that is directly below this base image using a smaller base image and the clock over it. This way the LiveSet matches the look of the skin. A more elaborate method would be to make a replacement base image with a hole cut out the size of the flag and sponsor image. Then the LiveSet clock would show through the hole and only be covered when you use flag, sponsor, replay, touch down, foul, time out and show clock (which you would use any more).
You could take it a step further and have a title with and without the hole or drop down variety this way you can use the one I make you for using the LiveSet clock and then when you don't want to, you just use the regular base image and press show clock once you catch up.
I also add an alignment shot to the LiveSet to make sure the clock lines up perfectly in the LiveSet.

Call or email me if you are interested.
[email protected]

Ok. I will go ahead and do it.....

Where's the pictures Jose???

Show me, Show us. ;)

joseburgos
09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
I'll work on it for the LT2 version of Kris' skins tonight/tomorrow and post images soon.

akscooter
09-16-2010, 03:14 PM
would it be possible to get a copy of your aura file for this? so we could customize it for our needs?

Thanks

cameraman91569
09-16-2010, 05:53 PM
I just sent you an email Jose to get more information about the LiveSet for Kris' sports package.

THANKS!

:bowdown:

Brad

brians0105
09-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Attached is a zip file of our clock cutout. Unfortunately you can't adjust the position, but if you want, I can try to make you a custom one. Just let me know.

Put the zipped files inside the LiveSet folder on your TriCaster and this should show up as a LiveSet option.

Brian

skdvr
09-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Very Cool... Thanks for that... I will drop it in and check it out on Monday.

I really appreciate you taking the time to do that...

Phil

skdvr
09-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Just wanted to stop back and and say Thanks again... I just dropped it in the TC and it works great. It is even in the exact spot that I already have my scoreboard graphic, so all I have to do is cut that spot out of the graphic... Thanks again, I really appreciate it...

Phil

brians0105
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow, that's good luck!

We have a cheap camcorder from Best Buy that we lock down on the scoreboard to provide the video feed of the clock into the system.

I can't remember if I mentioned this, but I just took some scotch tape and put it over the LCD screen on the camcorder and took a sharpie to the tape on the screen. I drew a rectangle on the screen, which makes it easier to position the clock at each location. It works pretty well.

Brian

Monderoy
10-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I got this to work, thanks for the file, but I would like to move the "clock" to a different location.

Which file would I have to modify to do this?

Monderoy
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Sorry to say this but it kind of feels like we're being pushed into the skins from KG when there's not much help forthcoming with what is essentially a pic in pic design with using LT and cameras for game clocks.

KG's skins are great but for example, our next sport broadcast requires official game clock timing and there now way to do that KG's skins as the clock stops when the puck is out etc. and keeping up with the official clocks with KG's skins can possibly lead to problems with timing.

A pic in pic (with one dedicated cam for the game clock) would solve the whole official clock issue, but like I said not much help is available here about that.

The example in the thread is what we're using at the moment but we can't move the location of the "clock" on screen and we would prefer to have it in the top left rather than the bottom left.

Anyone?

akscooter
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
If it were possible to permanently link an input to an on screen overlay or PIP, say input 6, to this display, that might be a solution. The current solution, if I am correct, requires the use of the FX row to be used as what input is selected for the overlay. This eliminates the ability to effectively use TimeWarp on the FX row.

Could the live sets be configured to specify an input statically instead of via the FX row?

Thanks

kltv
10-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd hire Jose to build you a custom one in whatever position and size you need. I'm sure he'd be able to help you.

You'd need Aura or LightWave to build your own. If you don't have access to those, you won't be able to move them around.

Kris

brians0105
10-04-2010, 06:59 PM
akscooter, you are correct that the clock "cutout" LiveSet I posted here would require you to put the clock camera on the FX row and could cause you problems if you're using TimeWarp and the FX bus.

Monderov and akscooter, shoot me a private message and I can make you a custom position LiveSet for your needs. You can't adjust the LiveSet that I posted on this thread. I new one would have to be created.

Brian

joseburgos
10-05-2010, 07:18 AM
If it were possible to permanently link an input to an on screen overlay or PIP, say input 6, to this display, that might be a solution. The current solution, if I am correct, requires the use of the FX row to be used as what input is selected for the overlay. This eliminates the ability to effectively use TimeWarp on the FX row.

Could the live sets be configured to specify an input statically instead of via the FX row?

Thanks

For a "normal" LiveSet, that is correct in the TCSD models. Not so for the TCXD models though.
I have, in the past, made LiveSets that use the Preview bus instead of the FX bus. You gain the ability to fix a camera input by virtue of leaving input 6, as an example, selected on the Preview bus and disabling Follow Preview in the input setting tab. The disadvantage to this is not being able to use the Preview bus in a traditional switcher work flow anymore and instead hot punching the Live bus for a take only operation. This ability of using the Preview bus is only available on TCSD models.

SBowie
10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
This ability of using the Preview bus is only available on TCSD models.True ... but on TCXD models, you could simply dedicate one of the two main Overlay channels to the 'clock-cam' (complete with live scaling, positioning and cropping) instead of having to bother with a LiveSet or tie up your Preview row. Alternatively, you could do the same thing using a Virtual Input overlay. This is more a virtue than a limitation.

joseburgos
10-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Yes, sorry my answer was incomplete and left it at the "only two feed from the switcher bus" on the XD line but it has a plethora of features that make quick work of this exact capability of a shot clock.
Thanks Steve for the missing and very important, missing portion of that :)

SBowie
10-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanks Steve for the missing and very important, missing portion of that.No problem, I knew exactly what you meant, just broadening the discussion a bit and making sure everyone else got your point too. .. :)

akscooter
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
@Jose,

I have the Broadcast.

It would be a better solution if I could specify a liveset with graphic, then set an input as that graphic.

Instead, I have to work with the manufacturer of the scoreboard to get them in contact with NT so we can communicate directly with the board. Unless anyone has had any luck with Nevco scoreboards?

Thanks
Jon

SBowie
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
It would be a better solution if I could specify a liveset with graphic, then set an input as that graphic.LiveSet 1.0 video source possibilities are as follows:

Input
Next (Preview)
FX (Effects)
DSK (Overlay)

It's not possible to assign a specific camera - instead, the selected source for any of the above can serve (in sets designed to allow that). Ultimately, any camera you use has to be selected on a Switcher row.

There is one sneaky way to sidestep this, but it imposes limitations of its own. That is, you could use iVGA to feed a clock display from another system capable of digitizing it. On the low-end, jury-rig side, one approach would be an inexpensive Wireless IP cam, such as this:

http://foscam.us/foscam-fi8904w-wireless-outdoor-ip-camera-waterproof-wpa-p-40.html

Feed that to a laptop using its wireless network connection, run iVGA, select that as the DSK source, prepare a suitable custom LiveSet, and you're up and running. A couple of caveats. This type of cheap day/night camera doesn't have IR cut filter, so daylight colors are kind of wonky. Also, this approach ties up your overlay channel ... at least when in use (you could switch away from the LiveSet to display other gfx).

hughdemand
10-06-2010, 10:44 AM
Which I can't make work, yet.

I was thinking of creating a scoreboard graphic in Fireworks on my laptop (connected to TC via FireWire), but it would be full screen with an alpha channel background. Display it full screen on the laptop and then use iVGA overlay.

Of course it means an extra body to be updating the graphic every minute or so. I dont have LiveText.

Any suggestions what program I could use for the graphic, it needs to allow tranparent background and can be displayed fullscreen.

Thanks

Whit

SBowie
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
... it would be full screen with an alpha channel background. Display it full screen on the laptop and then use iVGA overlay.At present, the only external app that supports alpha over a network to TC is LiveText. You're going to have to use a 'keyable' color as the background on the external computer, and key that out on TriCaster.

hughdemand
10-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Darn

I will try it to see how much of a hassle it is. I was really hoping for a simpler solution.

Thanks again

Whit

akscooter
10-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Before I had TimeWarp, I made a flash app that was slightly bigger than the second screen of my computer. The controls rested on the edge of the screen which allowed clock adjustments and scoring. The background was very green. Then I used chroma to make it overlay the screen. That was on an old original Tricaster (Not even pro). It worked well, but lost the ability to do transitions.

With Studio and up, you could use the iVGA and place it as a liveset from the FX row.

Again, it's not a simple solution, and requires another system, and takes up the FX row, which is used for TimeWarp. But in a pinch, might work.

If you don't have flash, go look at Swish, it is an affordable solution to flash, with just as many bells and whistles.

joseburgos
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Well if that is the case, then I'll throw in Bluff Titler. If you take advantage of its database lookup ability with a simple XML file and say Excel, you could have it running full screen and in loop. Then all you have to do is use Excel to write over the data fields to the XML file and the new information will display on the next loop of the animation. It does a very good job with real-time 3D as well if you have a good NVidia GPU. You would either use a LiveSet or make the background green and just key it via iVGA using overlay.
Still, LT2 when you compare the cost of Excel plus the cost of Blufftitler, is only a little more money and you end up with a better solution.

v4e
12-19-2011, 07:42 AM
I will have a direct interface with the Nevco coax near the first of 2012. Stay tuned.

akscooter
12-19-2011, 04:24 PM
@ v4e

You're gonna leave us hanging with THAT!? Not cool! Screen shots, diagrams, a picture of a BUNNY! Any details you can give now would be great!

Thanks,
Jon