PDA

View Full Version : rendering problems

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 06:35 AM
hello
when i render out an animation it looks kinda funny you can see lined on it well not lined but it doesn't look how it should haha
and i think it is something to do with the compressor in the render globals panel under output
i click save animation
type: AVI (.avi)
and in options i set it to Microsoft video 1
but it didnt look rite so i tryed Microsoft RLE and woow that was soo much worce
and the only one the my renders look rite in is in fullframes (uncompressed) but i rendered out a 3-4 second long animation with the compressor set to fullframe uncompressed and the video file was 70MB
i was like woow cant have that hahah
but then if i render it under Microsoft video 1 its 6MB but looks all funny
(only on animations no problems in normal test renders)

so does any one know how i can fix this ?
thanks in advance

Elmar Moelzer
09-03-2010, 06:55 AM
First of all, do not render directly to an AVI file!
Instead, render to a sequence of images. Then convert that sequence to an avi, MPeg, or whatever format you want using either LW (render a backgournd image sequence), or better using an editing or post production software.
Second, Video one and RLE are horrible Codecs, so is Cinepack. Video1 only does 16 bit colors too.
Cinepack theoretically does more colors, but its compression causes ugly posterization effects.
If, for some reason, you absolutely have to render directly to an AVI, then render to an uncompressed AVI and then recompress that using some 3rd party tools (e.g. DIVX, or make a MWV using the free Windows Media Encoder, ect).

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 06:57 AM
ok
cool, thanks for the help and info :)

Danner
09-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I second that, never render out as a movie.

If space is an issue render out as .jpg (first generation jpgs out of lightwave have very little compression and have practically no artifacts).

If you got more room use PNGs which are smaller in size than the rest of the lossless formats.

If disc space is no issue (and need to do a bit of compositing) use exr files wich have more bit depth and can be color corrected further than most other formats.

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
ok cool thanks for the tips :)

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 01:17 PM
First of all, do not render directly to an AVI file!
Instead, render to a sequence of images. Then convert that sequence to an avi, MPeg, or whatever format you want using either LW (render a backgournd image sequence), or better using an editing or post production software.
Second, Video one and RLE are horrible Codecs, so is Cinepack. Video1 only does 16 bit colors too.
Cinepack theoretically does more colors, but its compression causes ugly posterization effects.
If, for some reason, you absolutely have to render directly to an AVI, then render to an uncompressed AVI and then recompress that using some 3rd party tools (e.g. DIVX, or make a MWV using the free Windows Media Encoder, ect).

is this what every one does to render out an animation?
its weired because on XP i never use to have a problem with the colors
but on vista ans 7 the color it all messed up
when i rendered out as an AVI i have a 8 sec animation i rendered out as an AVI on XP and no problem with the color and the file was only 16 MB
now on 7 if i want the colors to look ok i have to render it out uncompressed and we are talking about an animation that is just over 1 second and is 80 MB
i just dont understand it
but hey if i have to do that now pff ya gata do what ya gota do hehe

Danner
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
it's most probably a codec issue, LW doesn't like all codecs, if it did we'd use avis more often.

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
aa ok
so il have to do what Elmar Moelzer sujested then haha
oh well hehe :)

K-Dawg
09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Well thats the most common way. Put it this way. if your rendering a 30 sec + animation and it takes like forever to render, what do you have to do if your halfway finished and you electricity blacks out? Right, you would have to start over from the beginning. Now if you needed 5 days to get almost half way finished, you'll be pretty upset.

If you render in sequences, when ever something like that happens, you don't have to worry. Just resume on the next frame after the last that was rendered.

to convert you sequences to a video is no big deal. Ever NLE or Comp tool should be able to handle that easily.

Greetz

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 03:50 PM
yes that is a very good point hahah
so what sould i do instead of selecting AVI(.avi)
select storyboard?
sorry about this next part haha... im not 100% on how to change a stpry board into an animatin :s

K-Dawg
09-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Nope. Output as Image, choose sequence and then, depending on how many frames you have, set the _xxx to 3 or 4 x. I'm sorry I can't tell you exactly which setting it is. Right now I'm rendering a 20 sec animation myself. (will be 30 when finished, but last 10 secs will be done in Comp/Edit)

It should be the next 2 after Animation file. One for RGB one for Alpha.

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 04:15 PM
out put as image?
the only options i have in the output drop bown are:
4X storyboard
AVI(.avi)
directshow (.avi)
film expand
storyboard
flexible float (.flx)
flexible integer (.flx)

and thats it :s im guessing this is aparently not corect haha

K-Dawg
09-03-2010, 04:23 PM
No, thats for animation file. You want Image files. Thats the checkbox thing under that one. I can't look right now, but the first should be animation, the second RGB and the Third Alpha. You want the second activated. Unless you want alpha maps, you can check the third. Do your settings for your Image Files where the settings for the Images Files are. Once you press F10, you will automatically get the sequenced files then.

oliversimonnet
09-03-2010, 04:39 PM
aaa ok hahah sorry
ok iv got it now
ok i have tryed putting all the images together with monkey jam but i keep getting an error when i try and compress the video
i tryed it in adoobe premiere pro and i have no idea how to use it hahaha and i have tryed in windows live movie maker and no look there eatehr
does any one know another program like monkey jam were it is very easy to set an image to only last 1 fram and were you can set the FPS to 30 haha :)
thanks in advance

Lightwolf
09-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Try virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org)

Cheers,
Mike

Elmar Moelzer
09-04-2010, 03:05 AM
it's most probably a codec issue, LW doesn't like all codecs, if it did we'd use avis more often.
Hmm, I actually am using LW quite often to convert all sorts of image series and animation files, because it seems a lot more tolerant. E.g. I did a high resolution screen recording using Speed Edits (!) high quality codec the other day. I was able to play it in Media Player, but Speed Edit was unable to load it (I guess because it was to large at a little over 1 GB?). LW was able to load it just fine as well. So I was able to split it up into multiple smaller AVIs (same codec) that then also loaded fine into SE.
Talk about LW saving me a lot of work here, actually.

oliversimonnet
09-04-2010, 03:25 AM
woow its a bit complex (the downloading and setting up part hahaha)
thanks for the link tho pal :)

oliversimonnet
09-04-2010, 08:57 AM
ok, just so that if people come across a problem like t his one.
here is what i did (finally sorted it out haha)
i rendered out as image, then i used Monkey jam to put the images all together saved the video out as uncompressed then went into "prism video converter" and i managed to change a 1 sec animation that was 140 MB into a 634 KB file woohoo haha

thanks for all the help every one :)

erikals
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I second that, never render out as a movie...

...unless you want to render small tests, i do that all the time ;]

Danner
09-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I used to render out small tests as avis too, but now I render out as images that way I can start playing with grading and compositing while lightwave is rendering the big sequence

K-Dawg
09-06-2010, 04:07 AM
I didn't want to start a new Thread.

I have more an issue than a problem, but maybe someone can give me some info.

I'm rendering a 500 Frame scene and it will take several days. Now I'm at approx. 50 Hours left.

The issue is, Layout stops rendering after 30+ hours of rendering. I found out it has to do with memory. I have 8 GB of memory. about 7 left when Windows is started etc. and with my Scene open about 6 GB.

My question is, why does Layout clog up my memory like that? It keeps adding more to the memory after each frame rendered. Is there a hidden setting that i have to choose to make Layout clear memory after each rendered frame?

erikals
09-06-2010, 04:28 AM
not sure, but to avoid cases like this i try to remember to render each 15th frame first, to see if LW can handle it, or to see if there are any render errors.

if you have big image files you could always get infinimap, as it might solve the problem.

another option is to split the render in two, for then put it together in post...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1052496&postcount=7

(if like you say that Layout clogs up my memory however, it might be a bug)

K-Dawg
09-06-2010, 04:49 AM
I don't think it has to do with resolution. I'm rendering at standard D1 PAL. 720x576 25 FPS.

Might be a Bug. Oh Well. I'll just have to keep ending rendering, shut down LW, restart it and resum rendering every 30+ hours.

Greetz

EmperorPete
09-06-2010, 06:47 AM
I haven't rendered out an animation from within Lightwave since 3.5, I don't think. I prefer to export individual frames and then put them together in Premiere.

K-Dawg
09-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Thats what I do. Just Inside LW. I don't have any other Renderers.

erikals
09-06-2010, 08:20 AM
---
you can report the LW bug here,
(but you HAVE TO include the scene files, they're quite strict when it comes to that)
(a video showing the problem can also be handy sometimes)

https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

to check the status of your case, go here,
https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?your_case_number_hash

to follow up on a case, send an e-mail to,
[email protected] mentioning 'Case XXXXX' in the subject.

---

Danner
09-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a memory leak, any third party pluggins? Only time I have seen a memory leak in lightwave is when using the shockwave exporter.

SonicN2O
09-07-2010, 02:06 PM
I guess u are all windows users. Macs don't have a problem with rendering in to an animation, we just do a .mov :D