PDA

View Full Version : Check out how E-on makes it clear about Vue use...

GregMalick
09-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Notice the small banner that changes ever second with a new film.
It's pretty convincing regarding the use of Vue on films.

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

That would be good idea for NewTek to do for LightWave.

biliousfrog
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I particularly like the Avatar one which links to Rob's CGTalk interview and doesn't even mention Vue as far as I can tell

KurtF
09-02-2010, 08:02 PM
And we thought Lightwave was bad.

How many versions of Vue are there?

prometheus
09-03-2010, 03:08 AM
Im not sure..but for instance, the showcase of dark studios doing matte paintings for the curious case of benjamin button feels a little decieving.

They are supposed to have used vue and photoshop for the sky matte paintings, and you could be fooled to think that they created the clouds using spectral clouds and atmosphere, but to me it seems like old fashion matte painting with photo resources, mapped on to billboards in vue, nothing wrong with that..but it feels kind of missleading somehow.

Michael

lwaddict
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
"Feels" misleading???
Really?

If you just read the articles, the artists tell you verbatum how they use this program for mattes with no mention of using the integration boasted on with the XStream versions.

You can do most of what's seen in film, that was created using Vue, using the cheaper versions of the program and just comping like the pros in the articles do. Probably faster to pull off in Photoshop and just wrap the image around the inside of a cylinder or sphere in LW though.

Haven't bothered to touch the program or visit the boards in awhile though... so who knows... it could actually be working really well by now. <starts salting hat in case he needs to eat it>

But over the years, in my experience with the program, this seems unlikely.

prometheus
09-04-2010, 03:31 AM
"Feels" misleading???
Really?

If you just read the articles, the artists tell you verbatum how they use this program for mattes with no mention of using the integration boasted on with the XStream versions.
unlikely.

Yeah really..

Misleading might be a to harsh word perhaps, itīs just how the spotlight article presents itself together with vue as a sky matte painting tool.

if you were a new customer with interest to get vue, you might get an impression of that it is capable of creating stunning cloud images trhou itīs
spectral atmospheres and clouds such as the cloud image shown in the article(the one above the boat images)

it says photoshop and vue but itīs really not mentioned if he used spectral clouds, or other atmosphere models, my guess is that the mississippi sequence is mostly pure vue atmospheres and then thereīs two
sky paintings that seems to be mostly cloud photos mixed in with vue air atmospheres.

The article isnīt really clear on how each image are rendered as matte paintings.

there are some pictures on vues gallery that has really stunning cloud imagery generated from vueīs spectral clouds, but they are few.
Reaching the level to that cloud image im talking about isnīt something I have seen around from vue and hardly from any other landscape software out there,Even thou terragen comes close.

Michael

lwaddict
09-04-2010, 08:10 AM
I was being sarcastic but it didn't come across just right...

"Misleading" isn't being harsh IMO...
it's being nice.

GregMalick
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Personally, I think it's a great way to show all the films Vue was used on.
Only an extremely naive noob would think that only one app was used on these films. All it implies to me is that Vue was used on one or more matte paintings.

It's simply a great visual way to communicate the projects that used it. Much better than a simple list (which some may also think suggests that "whatever" was completely used).

I do agree that having links to pages that don't even mention the software is plain bad. But I stand by my opinion that having a small visual slideshow of the work done with LW (in any way) is effective marketing.

Now excuse me while I run out and buy the hair restorer that makes me look like Brad Pitt. ;)

lwaddict
09-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Good points.

prometheus
09-05-2010, 05:19 AM
I was being sarcastic but it didn't come across just right...

"Misleading" isn't being harsh IMO...
it's being nice.

Ohh..hehe Lol. I couldnīt see your face or hear your voice, that might explain it:)

Michael

prometheus
09-05-2010, 05:24 AM
well yeah the spotlight showcase with itīs article is a good way to start, but
The "was used for in the blockbuster movie" theme must end or change to a good description on exactly why they used the software and a much clearer
description of what kind of feature toolset used, that was so valuable for the purpose.

Michael

crashnburn
09-05-2010, 03:05 PM
It's a shame Newtek haven't got that interview with Rob on their site, be a good start down the right road.