PDA

View Full Version : Shift (multi) select - Load from scene

biliousfrog
09-02-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't believe that I actually have to request this, it's rediculous.

Load Items From Scene - screen to select items to load - can't shift or control select. You can select all, deselect all, select each item manually but you can't shift-select :screwy:

I'm fairly certain that other menus behave in this way but can't think of which ones at this time.

The Scientist
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
It's not much but if you double click on a divider in load items from scene ("Lights", "Objects", etc.) it will select or deselect all, as well as toggle your selection, in that subsection without changing the pre-existing selection in other subsections.

Hope that helps, it would be nice if they made the selection style like the new scene editor though (clicking and dragging selects multiple items at a time).

Pavlov
09-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Not so strange, actually that's just one of the many incomplete LW's tools ;)
I'm on 64bit system and i can use only that one, but if you're on win 32 you can use LOL (Load object layers), which has this function.

Paolo

jeric_synergy
09-11-2010, 11:46 PM
::sigh:: it is aggravating that the same guys who can write a ray tracing program can't get some of the simplest UI stuff right.

Cageman
09-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Alot of things related to doing things enmasse have been limited in LW. The fact that you can extract a null from a vertex from a clothFX object is nice, but if you need all of them, you are screwed. The same goes for converting HBD to animationpaths.

It seems to be a pattern within LW.

Obviously, the contrary can be found as well, such as editing multiselected objects and their Rendering properties (Matte object, Seen by camera etc) which works flawlessly.

For any of you who want to do things enmasse where LW natively can't do it, I suggest to take a look at ef MultiService (http://people.dsv.su.se/~dan-dulb/evenflow3d/lwpluginsandscripts.php). While this doesn't help with Load Items From Scene selections, there are many aspects of LW where ef MultiService actually adds alot of value and time saved.

Pavlov
09-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Cageman, so true.. i posted a lot about this in past years, but i've to say that after 9.0 mass management tools have improved a lot. Still holes here and there, sure CORE will fix these.
The Multiservice thing looks awesome, maybe you're interested also in another old tool D|ver developed many years ago: Multiedit++ (i think i explained this tool other times if you're interested Just search this forum).
Sadly D|ver seems to be away these times and this tool is not online for download (i think you can mail him and ask for it - http://www.interialabs.de/lw/lscript/). It can listen to any command performed in layout, keep it (just like Multiservice) and then you have a "play" button to perform selected commands on multiple selectons. It doesnt happen automatically like this newer tool, but in some situations it may be an advantage.

Paolo

jeric_synergy
09-13-2010, 12:09 AM
It seems to be a pattern within LW.

It's probably really hard to perceive 'from the inside'.

But you are absolutely right: Over the years, 'Lightwave' has had a habit of developing an interesting feature that is great for onesy-twosies, but in a production environment when you want to do something fifty or a hundred times, falls apart TOTALLY.

This is similar to my recent complaint about too-short text fields. It's because the PROGRAMMERS are not animators, and are probably making test objects with names like "foo.lwo" and "bar.lwo", instead of "blueBirdEgg17-large100912a.lwo". Similarly, programmers probably don't make test scenes that involve a couple dozen near identical objects doing near identical (but not identical) motions, actions, changes, whatever.

I wish I could find my post about the big, framed document that was supposed to be in the center of the programming office, reminding all the coders of all the tedious picky needs that should be met. Group or en masses actions was in there fer shure.

This is one reason I'm happy Rob is in there: he knows (far better than I) what will really fly in a production environment.