PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Structure - Wallpaper

marlo.steed
02-27-2003, 07:51 PM
The intent of this work was to create a cool wallpaper for my laptop. The dimensions of the structure match the screen on my laptop. Thanks to all those who provided feedback in the WIPs section, for those people - a free wallpaper image. I guess a work like this is never finished but I can forsee repurposing it for other projects.

This took 3 hours to render out at 2560 x 1708 (twice the size of my screen). I have always been told render large and then shrink to the size desired. I aborted the radiosity attempt (after half a day it looked like it would take the entire weekend).

I learned a lot about the frustrations of doing large projects in Lightwave. I created the front section then cloned it back. The problem was, all the objects are separate objects but to clone it, I had to make it a single object which makes editing very difficult if not impossible once it was cloned.

So what do you think? Strange,once I edited the message and deleted the original image, there is no longer an option to upload an image.

marlo.steed
02-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Here it is.

Zombat
02-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Nice. I'd like to see the fog illuminated by the lights, however.

John Fornasar
02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
First, your final render is well done.

Now that you did it the "hard" way, check out Rory_L's reply in the WIP section. You want to start experimenting with projections and alphas. You should be able to find several tutorials out there.
It's not cheating. Even large studios like ILM, with all the computing power they need, will render out sections of their scenes and composite them together.
Your T.V. weatherman is pointing at a plain blue screen.

To give you a small example, let's say you want to have a short animation of a flying repair robot move through your scene from the back to the front. Use your final render as a background plate, push your robot way back in the +Z and keyframe it. Go to another frame (say 60), move your robot close to the camera and keyframe it again. Render your frames. It'll take no time at all.

With this method, you can afford the long render time on one plate with high anti-aliasing and radiosity, etc. on your large model, and end up with a fine animation.

ruud
02-28-2003, 12:40 AM
wow! Looks like the livingroom of a borg cube :)

Cool work, and great lighting!

Greetz!

Ruuterdetuut

oxyg3n
02-28-2003, 02:14 AM
This is really neat, I keep squinting hoping that I will see something at the end!!

NIce Job!

marlo.steed
02-28-2003, 08:50 AM
John,

Yes, I am aware of those kind compositing techniques, I have used that before but if you want to create an animation with the camera going down through the structure I would think it would be difficult to achieve using alpha channnel and getting everything to work seamlessly - but then again I have never tried that. Have you had any experience trying that? There is one other reason I didn't use compositing techniques - I got so involved in the modeling I actually forgot (I had planned on doing that). Thanks for the reminder. I will actually go back and do that.

John Fornasar
02-28-2003, 10:05 PM
Marlo,

If you are moving the camera, yeah, you will want to move through the actual geometry - at least the polys that are close to the camera (hey, that's what 3D is for!)

There is a technique that may help a bit, check out page 31.28 in the manual - Fixed Projection - but even the manual states that your mileage may vary. Probably best used when you have to work with a plate that you can't go out and shoot...

Epita
03-01-2003, 10:35 AM
Wow, the final render looks really good. All the effects have been put in really well from the first model build back in WIP. I great desktop where can we get the full size image from?

Epita

marlo.steed
03-01-2003, 05:17 PM
Maybe it is never over till it is over. I tried adding volumetic lights to highlight the structure but I can't get them to render. They look fine in Viper but no matter how I change the settings I can't see anything in the rendered version. Yes, I have Volumetric Lighting turned on. I have made sure the lights are not being obscured by objects (moved them all over). Nothing seems to work. I have poured over the manuals. ...tinker render, tinker render, tinker - ah! I don't have the probelm if I try it in a fresh Layout scene (it renders fine). Here is what it looks like with the viper window on top of the render. Any suggestions?