PDA

View Full Version : Marquee select in modeller?

Revanto
09-02-2010, 05:10 AM
I've been using LW for years now and one of the things that bugs me is that modeller never really had a marquee selection tool. I know that there is the volume selection mode but it is tedious. Am I missing something or has there secretly been a marquee selection mode I don't know about?

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Twisted_Pixel
09-02-2010, 05:29 AM
There is the lassoo select, right mouse click to use.

UnCommonGrafx
09-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Secretly... for a loooong time.

Lots of stuff LW does that people want but don't know/realize it has.

erikals
09-02-2010, 08:27 AM
how to select in points in modeller,..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWjBcJP_9fQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbtqBTygUw

Nicolas Jordan
09-02-2010, 08:48 AM
To give you a straight answer to your question there is no marquee select tool in Lightwave or anything similar.

erikals
09-02-2010, 08:54 AM
To give you a straight answer to your question there is no marquee select tool in Lightwave or anything similar...

isn't the marquee selection tool basically the same as the volume selection tool?

3DGFXStudios
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
what's wrong with the volume tool? It works perfectly. Selecting stuff fast and easy is why lightwave works so fast.

erikals
09-02-2010, 10:35 AM
...Selecting stuff fast and easy is why lightwave works so fast.

hmm,...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbtqBTygUw :]

Nicolas Jordan
09-02-2010, 12:01 PM
isn't the marquee selection tool basically the same as the volume selection tool?

I consider the volume tool to be very different since it selection a 3d volume but it all depends on what you use it for and how you work I guess.

UnCommonGrafx
09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I wanted to ask: why isn't the right-mouse button selection considered a marquee selector?

3DGFXStudios
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
I wanted to ask: why isn't the right-mouse button selection considered a marquee selector?

Because it's a lasso.

3DGFXStudios
09-02-2010, 01:19 PM
hmm,...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbtqBTygUw :]

I didn't mean lightwave is fast, I meant the way you can select stuff is. :thumbsup:

UnCommonGrafx
09-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Hmm,
I'll look up what the semantic differences are, I guess, because I don't get that.
:)

manholoz
09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Hmm,
I'll look up what the semantic differences are, I guess, because I don't get that.
:)

If you change "marquee" to "rectangular" the meaning becomes much clearer. At least to me it does.
But then again, English is not my native language.
My 2 cents

UnCommonGrafx
09-02-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks. I believe you've nailed it on the head for me!

Why wouldn't the volume selector work for this type of thing?

Just a curious one today...

ericsmith
09-02-2010, 04:16 PM
I think what the original poster is looking for is the ability to just drag a box and select whatever is inside that box projected through from that view.

The volume does work, but as he said, it's a bit more tedious than just click-and-drag to define a selection region.

Of course the lasso tool does do pretty much this, but not exactly.

Eric

erikals
09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
true, i guess also the marquee selection tool would work in perspective view,
the volume selection tool however does not,.. (in that way)

prometheus
09-03-2010, 05:02 AM
I have to chime in on that it is kind of strange no one has made an effort to do a plugin or script for this simple but for workflow important selection tool.

using volume select is tedious in some cases and it can be confusing on what is covered inside that volume since it doesnīt highligt points or polys to show whats selected.

a simple rectangular selection would be nice and even a radius selection.

Using lasso tool with expanded functionality by using shift-left mousebutton could be used for switching lasso to rectangular marquee selection.

Please common script masters, it canīt be that hard or can it?
Maybe thereīs one already out there somewhere.

Michael

erikals
09-03-2010, 05:22 AM
not sure,
btw, a suggestion i made earlier,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVv-yulP4bQ

Sensei
09-03-2010, 05:50 AM
I have to chime in on that it is kind of strange no one has made an effort to do a plugin or script for this simple but for workflow important selection tool.

That's very simple- it's not possible.. ;)

LWSDK doesn't allow making interactive tool which is selecting/deselecting elements..

LWSDK allow only non-interactive plugins select/deselect.
Check out mine SelectionPresetManager
http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/SelectionPresetManager
Probably the biggest plugin for LightWave at least just about selecting/deselecting elements.

Revanto
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
The thing is that ever since I started learning Maya, the marquee select (yes, the rectangular one) has been key to the modeling process. I bought Zbrush years ago and it had the marquee select but lacked the lasso select. Eventually, it got a lasso select but it selects polygons differently than most 3d programs. So, when I began to learn Maya, I was much more confident in volume selections. It still has limited show/hide tools but there are compensations.

I'm surprised that the symmetry option hasn't been fixed in Lightwave for years. I'm sick of having to move things in reverse on the -X axis.

You know, it would be cool (yet not commercially viable) if 3d programs were modular so you can take tools and process from one program and stick them into another program. Or, better yet, create your own 3d program by yanking things from other programs. I know it's a pipe dream but it'd be cool nonetheless.

Anyway, while I'm slowly learning to like Maya more and more, I still prefer Lightwave for my modeling needs in most cases.

Revanto :p

tburbage
09-04-2010, 02:02 PM
I do like Maya's implementation of marquee select. I like Rhino's even more because it works in 2 useful ways:

1 - If you drag the rect down and right, it selects only those objects which are completely within the rect (projected through the scene using the active viewport including perspective)
2 - If you instead drag up and left, it select any objects even partially within the rect.

I like this because, with just a slight difference in "gesture", rather than some tool setting, you can get two different behaviors from the same simple tool.

Dexter2999
09-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I do like Maya's implementation of marquee select. I like Rhino's even more because it works in 2 useful ways:

1 - If you drag the rect down and right, it selects only those objects which are completely within the rect (projected through the scene using the active viewport including perspective)
2 - If you instead drag up and left, it select any objects even partially within the rect.

I like this because, with just a slight difference in "gesture", rather than some tool setting, you can get two different behaviors from the same simple tool.

Interesting.

I wonder if it would be constructive or not to have this and add the CTRL key as a modifier. Without it you get all polys in the marquee. With the CTRL you get only polys which you can see the face. (Or vice versa) Kind of a one key way to change the selection mode behaviour like the way it changes between wireframe and flatshade (texture/wireframeshade/etc...)

Lightwolf
09-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Volume select has/had those two different modes as well. To be frank though, I haven't used it since it was removed from the bottom of Modeler though, so I don't know how one currently toggles between the two.

Cheers,
Mike

erikals
09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
click Ctrl+J once to include
click Ctrl+J once more to exclude ;]

Lightwolf
09-04-2010, 07:14 PM
click Ctrl+J once to include
click Ctrl+J once more to exclude ;]
There you go, thanks.
I just never used it since then (and I always "space" to switch modes anyhow).

Cheers,
Mike